Surging Idle

ZRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I've got an issue while idling. Two days ago I took it through an automatic car wash with under carriage wash. The next day the volts started oscillating at idle and it almost sounded like it didn't have enough fuel. Is it possible the wash did something to the fuel pump, or is this an alternator issue that's separate from the washing. It's like it is trying to stall. The fuel lines looked ok.

Two notes: Last fall the dealership had to bypass the fuel pump relay on the TIPM. Maybe its relevant. Also, there is a chirp very similar to what Erobins described in his thread posted on 1/17/18. I checked the (plunger?) on the IAC, it was black... that's about all I can tell you lol. I didn't take the throttle body off but it looked clean. This is my dd so I'm stuck until I can figure it out. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere really until I take the bar on feb 27.

Here's a video of what's going on. It doesn't really start until about 25 seconds in. Also it might help to wear ear phones. Thanks in advance for any replies!

https://youtu.be/AkBLWXxmHIM

Let me know if that link doesn't work. It is the first video I've ever uploaded to youtube.
Zach

UGGGHHHH! Good luck with both your dd and the bar!!!!

I thought most idled at 700, mine does so yours looks to be way low on the idle. Water always makes mine surge but it goes away as things dry up.

Stock idle is like 650. OP yours is idling way to low. I'd replace your IAC first and report back. The Viper v10 doesn't really suffer from to many issues.

I'd get an IAC from autozone, they have lifetime warrantys for them and the TPS. I swear mine seems to eat one once a year. I just take it to autozone and ask for a new one whenever it starts acting up.

So buy one, replace your current one and put the old one in the box.

Thanks Wifey! Definitely need it lol. Yeah, 250 seems pretty low, but I wanna say it has idled ~500 -550 for a while. I'll go by autozone tomorrow. Hopefully that is all it is and it'll be rolling by tomorrow night. I appreciate the help!

Thanks Wifey! Definitely need it lol. Yeah, 250 seems pretty low, but I wanna say it has idled ~500 -550 for a while. I'll go by autozone tomorrow. Hopefully that is all it is and it'll be rolling by tomorrow night. I appreciate the help!

I have faith you'll get er done! :rock:

You likely have an 06 correct? If so your gauge cluster tach isn't reporting correctly. They'll read a few hundred Low and Usually catch up along the sweep up. Your other issue is likely throttle position sensor. Common item and I do not recommend vatozone. Lol
Mopar parts will last another 13 years!

An autozone,oreilly's, advance auto, etc TPS is fine. My OEM one went out over 3 yrs ago and I put an oreillys one in bc it was 9 at night and I was in town and the truck literally wouldn't stay running. I kept saying I was going to buy the mopar one but here I am over 3 yrs later and it's still working flawless for 20 bucks. Even used their tools to swap it in the parking lot in dress clothes from date nite with the wife.

Thanks for the tips guys. Well, I replaced the TPS and initially everything was good (literally about 5 minutes). I also changed the oil last night because it needed it. Today I drove the truck about 1/2 mile and suddenly something started depressurizing with a spraying sound and then the check engine light came on. P0123. Two things at once, really.
Apparently, because it was nearly dark, I didn't check to see if the o-ring had come off with the old oil filter last night. I just put the new one on without checking. After the drive I looked at the old one and sure enough there's no o-ring/seal. So I think that is what was spraying. I really hope that's it bc I don't want to spring for new oil lines... or whatever else... right now.
Now, I don't know if this is associated with the P0123 code but the wire that links the throttle body and something above and just behind the transmission was melted and exposed by my headers. There are two - one goes to the vacuum pump underneath the battery and the other is the one that goes near the headers and transmission. Anyone know what that is and whether this is the cause of the P0123 code?
Thanks again! I appreciate it.
Zach

Your chirp more than likely is due to that belt getting wet after the car wash unless it was before the wash the n start by taking belt off and spinning the pulleys to find culprit now with that being said my chirp started only after my power steering punp fitting the one on top took a dump and made a mess so I removed belt to clean and never put it on back correctly so it chirped for over a year off and on I finally tried moving it towards front of motor on water pump during install and it’s has not chirped since ...thanks to the member Welshman for the tip :D

Thanks guys. I replaced the TPS sensor and that is when the check engine light came on. For whatever reason the light wasn't on before I replaced the TPS. I also touched the battery cables on the driver's side battery to try to reset the computer. The passenger side battery has the negative terminal fused together with the wire, but I had taken off the positive (before touching the driver's side ones). The TPS code says high voltage, but I tried to trace the wire and it went under the intake manifold and snaked by the ignition coils. That is about as far as I could see and nothing was visibly wrong. Initially the idling rpms bumped up to ~750, but eventually fell back down to ~300-400 after 30 seconds - minute. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the response Erobins. Yeah, the squeak has been there ever since I had the power steering pump replaced in August. It chirps until the engine gets warm. Sometimes, but not very often, the chirping is in sync with the rpms - the chirping gets quicker until the next shift (auto), drops, then follows the rpms back up again. I'll go back and review your thread, see what info I can find. Ultimately I think a shop/dealer will have to fix that issue. It's beyond my expertise/tools.

Thanks guys. I replaced the TPS sensor and that is when the check engine light came on. For whatever reason the light wasn't on before I replaced the TPS. I also touched the battery cables on the driver's side battery to try to reset the computer. The passenger side battery has the negative terminal fused together with the wire, but I had taken off the positive (before touching the driver's side ones). The TPS code says high voltage, but I tried to trace the wire and it went under the intake manifold and snaked by the ignition coils. That is about as far as I could see and nothing was visibly wrong. Initially the idling rpms bumped up to ~750, but eventually fell back down to ~300-400 after 30 seconds - minute. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the response Erobins. Yeah, the squeak has been there ever since I had the power steering pump replaced in August. It chirps until the engine gets warm. Sometimes, but not very often, the chirping is in sync with the rpms - the chirping gets quicker until the next shift (auto), drops, then follows the rpms back up again. I'll go back and review your thread, see what info I can find. Ultimately I think a shop/dealer will have to fix that issue. It's beyond my expertise/tools.

You're running dual batteries?

For your viewing pleasure, here is the new squeal that just developed today. This is way more intense than the chirp I was describing earlier, but might be the same thing. Try not to throw up while watching - it was a little icy out tonight.

https://youtu.be/5D8bWh835BA

For your viewing pleasure, here is the new squeal that just developed today. This is way more intense than the chirp I was describing earlier, but might be the same thing. Try not to throw up while watching - it was a little icy out tonight.

https://youtu.be/5D8bWh835BA

Replace Belt, Idler pulley and tensioner. While you have the belt off you can check the alt by hand. It may or may not take care of your issue. However unless its been done already it needs it. Wont hurt to clean the pulleys, light steele wool works good. Check for debris in grooves...

Last edited:
Word. That will be a great start at least. It's an absolute mess under there (95% my fault b/c of the oil filter seal, probably 100, though it squealed some before this). I'll get some wool, looks like local store has an idler pulley and belt- so I'll get to work sometime today hopefully. Thanks, definitely appreciate it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back