Swapping O2 Sensors

attila

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it make sense to swap left/right upstream sensors?

the point is: I have to extend both sensors, but right one is longer and could fit left side, so I could just extend the wires of one of them

I'll solder the wires of course, I'm not going to use any crimp connector

the serial number looks like progressive, there's another code by the side.

downstream sensors are different.

thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN1849.JPG
    DSCN1849.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 40
I am not 100% sure, but each side (bank) needs it's own O2 sensor.....I don't think they are interchangeable...:)

dosn't matter what side is on what side they both read the same thing... if you go to autozon and ask for an 02 sensor.. they dont ask you if it's on the right or left side.... it dosn't matter

Tooloe said:
dosn't matter what side is on what side they both read the same thing... if you go to autozon and ask for an 02 sensor.. they dont ask you if it's on the right or left side.... it dosn't matter

but when you order them thu Dodge they ask wat sensor ( 1 or 2 ) and ( front and rear )

i only know bc i had to buy a " sensor 2 front "

Front and rear sensor have a different wattage I believe for the heat up period. But left and right I don't think are an issue to swap.

yes, front and read even look different

you have to order left or right because of the wires

if you cut, solder an extension it's even better than an extension with connectors...

I even extended a CB antenna cable, soldering it, no bad ROS showed up, but that's another story.

I'll give it a try

attila said:
yes, front and read even look different

you have to order left or right because of the wires

if you cut, solder an extension it's even better than an extension with connectors...

I even extended a CB antenna cable, soldering it, no bad ROS showed up, but that's another story.

I'll give it a try

If you have the correct sensors you shouldnt have to lengthen the wires??..:confused:

TNVIPER said:
If you have the correct sensors you shouldnt have to lengthen the wires??..:confused:

from my understanding - with Mopar headers and long tubes you have too, i could be wrong, i am unsure

VIPER said:
from my understanding - with Mopar headers and long tubes you have too, i could be wrong, i am unsure

duh.:eek: ..forgot he installed the long tube headers....I do not know what you do in that case. I do know that a wire had been sodered back on one of my sensors before I bought the truck...caused problems trying to tune....my dealer put it on the StarScan and the 2 sensors were constantly trying to correct because of inconsistant voltage readings caused by the spliced wire....

TNVIPER said:
duh.:eek: ..forgot he installed the long tube headers....I do not know what you do in that case. I do know that a wire had been sodered back on one of my sensors before I bought the truck...caused problems trying to tune....my dealer put it on the StarScan and the 2 sensors were constantly trying to correct because of inconsistant voltage readings caused by the spliced wire....

dunno buddy - i know i was tho'in the voltage code on bank 1 sensor 2 " bc i fooked up / i crossed the white wires, " i have a friend Tommy Kasper that told me not to soder the wire to use the connectors.

i went to dodge an bought a new o2 bank 1 sensor 2, i have cut it extended it and installed it - i am hoping to start my truck this weekend :)

but i did the same to bank 1 sensor 1 and it not tho'in a code only sensor 2 is bc i never marked the white wires b4 i cut it,.....

The 2 front sensors are the same except the length of wires. You can use the right side on the left and vice versa. DO NOT splice as others have found out not just because of weatherproofing but signal resistance. O2 sensors read a max of 1 volt with .5 being stoich and closer to 0 being lean I believe and the computer is trying to adjust accordingly to reach 14.7:1 or the designated a/f from a tuner's program. We did use to use connectors (GM mind you) that were factory as well as the factory pins and wire guage to extend them on trucks and Vette/TA/Camaro. I'm sure between old O2s and wrecking yard harnesses you can make a safe extension or just buy the proper length rt side O2 if it works or opposite for both sides. I recommend the latter.

Correct the rear have higher watt heaters due to being downstream and needing to be up to temp to produce accurate readings. Basically telling you or the dealer that the cats are clogged when they act up!!;)

sorry but I don-t get the point> what does it come with a brend new set of mopar long tubes? a couple of extenders? 2 new sensors with longer wiring?

what's the difference between extending with a connector or splicing and solder? you can mix white wires... but soldering has a better connection...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back