swapping PCM's & mileage memory?

droptail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my original PCM flashed and bought a new one to swap out if need for smog, at that time. The mechanic said he had forgot to burn in my current mileage at the time so it sounded like it was going to start from 0. I swapped out the reflash for new (process took about 10 minutes with bat disconn), and with the new OE installed, it retained my original mileage, the truck remembered the true mileage and transferred it to the new PCM. I was hoping that the new PCM would only remember the actual mileage it accrued, and not the vehicles, for a low mileage PCM resale. Guess it doesn't really matter, but I'm curious to know how the truck transferred the mileage to the new PCM?

I was told by one of the popular vendors for PCM flashes here that the truck has 2 computers..the one on the firewall and another one located somewhere else...I just can't remember where. It is the 2nd one that stores your mileage, or so i was told.:dontknow:

mileage is stored in 2 places on these vehicles... the odometer display is stored in the cluster. the pcm also stores mileage and that for dealer use. IE if you swap the cluster out of another vehicle to show lower mileage and we suspect odometer fraud we can go into the pcm and retrieve what the pcm shows. but swapping out your pcm is not going to change the displayed odometer reading.

Thought it was weird, having disconnected the battery, and told by the vendor he forgot to program the mileage. Guess he didn;t have to program the mileage after all.
Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back