Swapping Rear Ends....

VipeMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... is it possible to just swap the 4.11 gears that I have in my 04 RC with a set of 4.56 gears from an 05 QC??? Will the 4.11's go back into the QC no problem??? And if I can, where would I begin to look to have this done???

Yes it can be done, if you go larger than 4:56 then you need to change things. and if you are going to put the 4.11's in the QC let us know the results please, another member was going to do the same and havent heard from him in awhile, I have a RC and a Qc and want to do the same, just havent had the time yet.

I think I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see about getting that done... I just have to find the place that will do it for me.

I'm the one that was going to do that swap with Prof from Jacksonville, but I opened my own business and have been working 80+ hours a week, so time hasn't been there to let me do that yet. However, after the summer I will do it for sure.

Joe

where would I look to have someone do that for me, and how much would I honestly be looking at paying for that to be done???

I changed out my whole rear axle in my "04 with an axle from an "06.I am an avid Ebay whore, and found a seller, Motown partsman that was selling surplus " 06 axles for RC and QC SRT 10"S. I paid 640.00 including shipping for it.The winning bid was for 510.00+ 130.00 I then turned around and gave a fellow forum member a deal on my "04 axle.Changing gears would have been more expensive and I wouldnt have been able to recoup any money.
You might see if he has any more axles left.

Heres the link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8048169704

Last edited:
sorry, I have one more question... will 4.11 gears change any of the towing characteristics of the quad cab at all????

Thats the question everyone has, some say yes , I on the other hand say as long as its not over 8000lbs it should be fine.

I pull a enclosed trailor wieghing around 8000lbs and our QC puts about 475 to the rear wheels and it pulls with no problem or down shifting, so I think the 4.11's would be perfct.

silversrt said:
I changed out my whole rear axle in my "04 with an axle from an "06.I am an avid Ebay whore, and found a seller, Motown partsman that was selling surplus " 06 axles for RC and QC SRT 10"S. I paid 640.00 including shipping for it.The winning bid was for 510.00+ 130.00 I then turned around and gave a fellow forum member a deal on my "04 axle.Changing gears would have been more expensive and I wouldnt have been able to recoup any money.
You might see if he has any more axles left.
I already have the 05 QC sitting in my driveway... its not about finding the rear end or the axle... I just need them swapped

As far as who to do it , well dealership , or find a reputable garage that specializes in this, one preferably that has been in buisiness for a good many years.

I'm not gonna actually open anything up and change the gears... I'm just gonna swap the whole rear end one for one

Oh , I see.Just thought i would give you some usefull info on options.Good luck!:D
VipeMe said:
I already have the 05 QC sitting in my driveway... its not about finding the rear end or the axle... I just need them swapped

The QC rear end and the RC rear end are different in the fact that the spring perches are on the bottom on a RC and on the top on a QC.Just thought you might want to know in case you havent looked at them closely.

VipeMe said:
I'm not gonna actually open anything up and change the gears... I'm just gonna swap the whole rear end one for one

The two differentials I dont think can be swapped, correct me if I am wrong on this , but the RC is leaf under axle, QC is leaf over axle.

You are correct!:D

Stinker said:
The two differentials I dont think can be swapped, correct me if I am wrong on this , but the RC is leaf under axle, QC is leaf over axle.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back