Tach Response

Engin89

Reaction score
New problem with the truck.
First, I noticed the tach jumping on its own at idle. No RPM change, just seems to drop. WTF
Second, there is a noticeable delay in response. Not sure how the factory tachometer reads engine RPM's, but is this delay normal? Im thinking TPS, anyone have any other suggestions? Gonna first reset PCM and take it from there.

tach response - YouTube

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fumrN8a96Uk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a common occurence in the 06 SRT-10s. Most probable cause is a bad cluster. There are several people that have experienced this concern, try doing a search and see what you come up with.

Someone recently fixed theirs I think but it is internal in the cluster and many 06's do it. Not a TPS issue bud. ;)

The PCB was installed with a little flex in it. This causes two of the IC chips to develop very poor connections.

The solution is to re-flow the solder on the two suspect IC's and shim the circuit board to ensure there is no flex...

There is a very good write up on one of the diesel ram forums. The hardest part of all of it was disassembling the dash. Took me about 45 min to pull it all apart since I had never done it before. Then 15 min to fix the instrument cluster, and 20 min to put it all back together again.

I'll look for the diesel site when I get home from work unless you find it first..

-Jeremy

The PCB was installed with a little flex in it. This causes two of the IC chips to develop very poor connections.

The solution is to re-flow the solder on the two suspect IC's and shim the circuit board to ensure there is no flex...

There is a very good write up on one of the diesel ram forums. The hardest part of all of it was disassembling the dash. Took me about 45 min to pull it all apart since I had never done it before. Then 15 min to fix the instrument cluster, and 20 min to put it all back together again.

I'll look for the diesel site when I get home from work unless you find it first..

-Jeremy

Awesome info and thanks for sharing. That's what the VTCOA is all about;)

I found a you tube video last night of the whole affair...

That's funny! The dude just posted it last night also.

Search on YouTube for 2006 Dodge Ram Tachometer Fix. Posted 9/4/2013. Really is only a 1.5-2 hr job.

-Jeremy

Thanks bro.....looks easy to do.
Whats up with these 06's. Had to do a similar repair on the Multi switch signal module on the steering column due to my blinker firing on the wrong side. Pretty dangerous as I almost had an accident. Found that on the LS-1 forum. Thank God for these sites. Lifesaver !

Thanks bro.....looks easy to do.
Whats up with these 06's. Had to do a similar repair on the Multi switch signal module on the steering column due to my blinker firing on the wrong side. Pretty dangerous as I almost had an accident. Found that on the LS-1 forum. Thank God for these sites. Lifesaver !

Some of the 06s had extended warranties on the multifunction switch for that concern, may want to check with a dealer.

Some of the 06s had extended warranties on the multifunction switch for that concern, may want to check with a dealer.

I believe all '06 Rams do. I know I showed up at my dealer and he said they keep them in stock because its so common.

Mine started acting up about 6 mths ago. So I removed it, took it apart and basically cleaned it up.
There was some oxidation on the contacts, so I washed it in some 99% alc.
Used a little bit of dielectric grease on the switch contacts and its been perfect since.

This tach issue just started last week. I wonder if its the same deal. I mean this Multi switch was soaked with too much grease.
I will post up what I find.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back