Test drove one and it didn't help

sy1616

Reaction score
OK, I prev. posted that I want to buy an 04 or 05 RC in red or black. Looked at a few this week including an 05 with 18k miles in red last night. Truck looked new inside and out with four new Dunlop tires, stock other than the K&N cone intake. So it starts (my wife btw is with me and all for getting one as a weekend fun truck). Dealer throws me the keys and says have fun. I pull out slowly and once past the dealership I nail it in second gear....ok, what's everyone talking about. My wife looks at me and immediately says "I thought you said this this was fast"...and I have to agree, it's no neon of course but it's certainly not what I expected. My SRT8 GC is much quicker feeling (seat of the paints feel), as was my CTS-V and '04 Saleen. Took it on the highway and nailed it from 60 in third and yes, that was nice, but again not overwhelming. Am I missing something? :dontknow: Had the thing been quick feeling like the one I drove last year it would be in my garage right now. I love the look, in minty fresh shape, mint interior, sold by a dealer (orig seller), all for $22,990 but I think I can get them to 22K even. What to do? Granted the temp was 90 and it was about to rain (thus 100% humidity). Do these things feel sluggish in those conditions? It felt like 75% power. Idle was fine but not Lexus like, but that seems to be normal with these right? Clutch pedal also grabbed ~2" from the top...higher than I like...that normal?

Help please, I still want it but not feeling it 100%.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Dude.

If your gonna buy one then thats great. Congrats. Making threads tryin to get people to convince you to buy one is a little juvenile and isn't really needed.

blah go buy something else... this beast is not for u....ya have to know how to drive the beast to get the stuff out of it.. unlike your gc..

OK, neither of those posts are necessary. I brought up a couple good points and asked valid questions. Nice way to encourage people to get involved. Trust me, I know how to drive just fine!

Last edited:
My truck has plenty of pickup. Vs my Dad's SRT8 300C it's faster both timed and seat of the pants and I'm not biased, this is an honest fact from driving both. Not sure what you want people to say really? Your first thread was fine and understandable but you've test driven one and didn't think much of it, your money, your choice, your car, why get people to talk you into it? If you (like you say) are a good driver and have a passion for cars, you should never need any help.

Choose it on your own thoughts and opinions as you will be rewarded better in doing so. I love my truck to pieces 5 seconds to 60mph in a 2.3 tonne truck is superb, stock no less, (I to own faster more hp cars) and that's not slow no matter what else you own or drive. Anyhow, as I said I love, no LOVE my SRT/10 truck but am mature enough to realise they aren't for everyone (what car/truck is). Looks like it's time for you to move on to car B). This is saying it nicely (hard to judge a tone over the PC). I'd like to see you in one but in all honesty, you don't seem to be liking them. There is definitely a punch when you floor the gas. Maybe you hit a poo truck?

Cheers,
Carwalski

Last edited:
After owning an '03 Cobra and an '01 Viper my first impression of a 5000 pound 500 hp truck was dissapointing as well. However, when I got mine with a blower on it I was immediately reminded of the acceleration of my Viper.

So, I can understand where you are coming from. Get a truck thats supercharged and I can guarantee your impression will change.

I AGREE with dave buy bidertats s-charged 10 and NEVER LOOK BACK!

My QC 10 is "quicker from a roll than my MSRT-8" I love this truck.

When people use to ask me why would you buy a truck with a viper engine I would tell them BECAUSE IT'S A TRUCK WITH A VIPER ENGINE.

There are many trucks faster but there is NO truck COOLER. And it's size adds to it's funness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new word

Dude the truck is COOl and there is nothing better than owning a 8 and a 10~!

Now I just need a neon srt4 and a srt6 to finish off my collection, mind you I've still got 2 spots in my drivway for a viper car and a caliber srt6:) 6 car driveway 3 car garage!:)

bigike said:
There are many trucks faster but there is NO truck COOLER. And it's size adds to it's funness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In stock form there are zilch. I don't get this comment. Unless you mean modified trucks?
Both in 0-60mph and top speed. Unless you count the Australian "Ute" or "half a car-sexual". :p

I do hear you all and do love the truck but again, just not as wowed by the power of this particular truck. Let me drive another and balance it all. As far as going on to another car, that ok but there's not much out there for sub $25k for a weekend fun car. I'm going back tomorrow to try it again in better weathr this time! No offense guys, I totally respect these beasts and want to become a helpful member here....thanks!

Doubt it. You'd feel it (if anything) in the midrange to higher rpm, nothing down low. With mild mods these trucks come to life. Mine in stock form was great but I only had it stock for 1 day lol and to be fair only nailed it 2 or 3 times (running in clutch). I'm getting/got a full 3" exhaust, long tube headers and catless mids, Roe Racing TB, CAI, short shifter and a SCT tuned by Sean @ Roe Racing along with a few odds and ends. Hoping to get around 570-580hp, nothing major, just a tickle up, around 500rwhp would be nice. Got to let them breath and flow. More cold air in, more air out. That's my take anyhow and I'm by no means a pro...........

OK, good advice, thanks! I will go back tomorrow and drive again thinking I'll put an exhaust on it with tune......see, this post was helpful! :D

Carl

TO me any truck i've driven does not give me the thrill that this one gives.

It's over the toppness and size make it more FUN than it is FAST.

thats with a stage 2 only

bigike said:
I AGREE with dave buy bidertats s-charged 10 and NEVER LOOK BACK!

My QC 10 is "quicker from a roll than my MSRT-8" I love this truck.

When people use to ask me why would you buy a truck with a viper engine I would tell them BECAUSE IT'S A TRUCK WITH A VIPER ENGINE.

There are many trucks faster but there is NO truck COOLER. And it's size adds to it's funness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new word

Dude the truck is COOl and there is nothing better than owning a 8 and a 10~!

Now I just need a neon srt4 and a srt6 to finish off my collection, mind you I've still got 2 spots in my drivway for a viper car and a caliber srt6:) 6 car driveway 3 car garage!:)

I'd love to collect the same sequence numbers from the commemerative Viper, SRT Ram and SRT Neon!

sy1616 said:
OK, good advice, thanks! I will go back tomorrow and drive again thinking I'll put an exhaust on it with tune......see, this post was helpful! :D
My truck in stock form was fun as hell to drive but I was itching to do some mods. Sine I took the truck over in 2006, I've installed (in no particular order) Catless mids and magnaflow catback exhaust system, lowered suspension, X-metal short throw shifter, B&G Chrysler Performance Stage II PCM and a X-Metal Billet Throttle body. There's are just mods that will help you enjoy the truck even more, trust me! In second gear with the more mild one you were test driving, you should have been able to make the roadway your bitch as you left two 12' wide strips of rubber for as far as the eye can see, or untill you ran outta second gear! These things have got power. In my recent trip to Lebanon Valley NY (A slow track), I managed 13 even quarter mile run at 106 mph through the timing lights with a head wind. Not many road worthy vehicles can brag about that that cost what these trucks do! So there's the delima, either buy one of these bad asses, or buy something else. Its for you to decide.

first time i drove mine and nailed it in second gear getting on freeway i went sideways
sounds like that truck may have been trashed ,,,if at 18000 miles and a new set of tires is not a good sign for me

Mr5150 said:
Dude.

If your gonna buy one then thats great. Congrats. Making threads tryin to get people to convince you to buy one is a little juvenile and isn't really needed.
I am with 5150 and wanted to say something similar to this on your first post. Does my post help you make a decision. Probably not, but you are not very realistic. You are comparing a truck to an AWD SRT, of course it is going to be quicker off the line and at lower speeds. You are also comparing it to a car. Let me let you in on a little secret... {This is not a car}

If you are not in love with the truck and you test drove one and are not impressed, well maybe it is not for you. :dontknow: If you think you got a truck that was not performing up to par, go test drive another one.

We have a time slip section that you can see how the truck does in the 1/4 mile. Plus you know (if you have researched these trucks) that it should do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. These are the performance numbers you should look at. If you are not impressed with either one of those numbers for a truck, then this truck may not be for you.

Good luck on your search.... I hope you find what you are looking for.

sy1616 said:
OK, neither of those posts are necessary. I brought up a couple good points and asked valid questions. Nice way to encourage people to get involved. Trust me, I know how to drive just fine!

These are used performance vehicles. Not being produced anymore. You want one or you don't. If you want one that is built buy Bikertat's...if you want one that is stock, there are several available on this site.

Seems like you are little too high maintenance for this group of SRT 10 enthusiasts...consider where you are...and make your decision...we hope you end up with our passion...but you do need the passion...without it you are barking up the wrong tree...

Dude these trucks are slow as hell, you should not buy one... simple as that...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back