The Doctors Today Kill ME!

Jeff tort reform is really a huge issue. The fly in the ointment is that it takes legislative action to reduce the malpractice costs and the people that have to pass the revised legislation are...duh...lawyers...probably not a solution there in the short term.

Along with malpractice are a host of other issues that cripple our health delivery system. Just a short list:

Greedy players: Everyone whats to make big dollars.
Indigent Care: Laws require treatment, so providers have to charge payers more to cover non-paid costs.
Rapidly advancing technology: Every hospital needs to have the latest technology to be competitive...too much redundancy.
Competitive pressures: Payers are picking the low bidders...
Quality issues: Quality is expensive in the short term.
Bias: Patients with good coverage get better care. Minorities frequently suffer with a lower level of care, sometimes due to economics sometimes due to discrimination.
Late diagnosis and treatment: Most all illnesses are most efficiently treated after early diagnosis and treatment, we as a society tend to wait until symptoms are sever and that ends up costing more.
Terrible laws: Mostly related to Medicare and Medicaid, that perpetuate ineffiency.

Those are just a few...this will be a huge issue in the near future...

We really need a new approach to health care...I as opposed to many, believe that health care is a human right not a privilege that should only be available to the wealthy...and we are well down that road. Those with coverage want to preserve the current system, those without coverage want to change the system. We will soon reach the tipping point...when a majority of people will be without health care and then the system will have to change. We are the only tier one country in the western world that does not provide routine and diagnostic services to all of its citizens, that in itself will greatly reduce the cost of health care...early diagnosis, treatment life-style changes can cut our national health care expense by 30% or more.

I agree we need a system overhaul. Our average citizens are underserved. Unfortunately I don't see the system changing soon.

Cheryl

Cheryl, sadly I agree...I don't see health care as a national priority especially with the economic issues we are facing now. But one of the consequences of the economic problem is that many companies may drop health care as a benefit or pass much more of the cost to employees...with the uninsured ranks swelling, there may be enough impetus to get reform underway...

Health Care Professionals Rock!:rock: :rock: :rock:

I see my Wife has been chatting with the Prof

Oh NO!

Jeff

Not to seem inconsiderate or uncompassionate to your news Mark.... Okay, this DOES sound inconsiderate but is this your way of saying you're NOT making it to Macon? :dontknow: Because Ironleg brought his grapefruit a long distance to PCB...

All BS aside, I do hope you get better soon bro.

ViperJeff said:
I see my Wife has been chatting with the Prof

Oh NO!

Jeff

That is as close to sex as I have been in years!:p :p :p

No worry Jeff, I'm too old to do any harm!

Prof said:
............ We are the only tier one country in the western world that does not provide routine and diagnostic services to all of its citizens, that in itself will greatly reduce the cost of health care...early diagnosis, treatment life-style changes can cut our national health care expense by 30% or more.

Are you saying that Canada and England have better health care systems Roy?:dontknow:

Not at all, I am saying that 100% of people have access to routine and diagnostic care which greatly reduces the cost of care because most illnesses are treated at lower acuity levels...there are hundreds of characteristics used to evaluate health care delivery...I was only referring to access to primary care. All systems have problems...our problems are declining quality and rapidly rising expense. Those two things may collapse our system. Every system has its flaws, access in the countries you mention at the tertiary level is very difficult. In both Canada and the United Kingdom, diagnostic technology is so sparse that getting a cat scan is difficult. Not long ago there were more pet scan machines in Jacksonville, FL than in all of Canada!

My point is that if we change the system to put the emphasis on preventative care and early diagnosis for all people will have a huge positive impact on the quality and cost of care overall. But to get there requires a change of mindset...not an easy thing to do.

I have said this before...and the numbers may have changed but I think the last I checked, over 30% of health care expenditures are in the last thirty days of life...think about that...heroic efforts at a very high cost that most know will not have a good outcome. Putting our efforts on the front end of the health care continuum will yield a better quality of life for a longer period of time...but it calls for some difficult changes of attitude.

Last edited:
Prof said:
........I have said this before...and the numbers may have changed but I think the last I checked, over 30% of health care expenditures are in the last thirty days of life...think about that...heroic efforts at a very high cost that most know will not have a good outcome. Putting our efforts on the front end of the health care continuum will yield a better quality of life for a longer period of time...but it calls for some difficult changes of attitude.

That 30% is probably a very misleading number.

What percentage of that number is related to trauma cases, be it accidents, shootings, etc.?

Most of it is in Medicare dollars...so yes, most is related to the normal process of dying.

Well tomorrow I go under the knife. I am going in at 930 and should be home that afternoon. If it is just the gall bladder if not and it is the small intestine then I will be their a few days and its alittle bit more than a minor surgery. So please pray for me that its just the oh gall bladder. Well until thursday have a good one! Wish me luck:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

Good Luck Buddy

God Bless

GriffsSRT said:
Well tomorrow I go under the knife. I am going in at 930 and should be home that afternoon. If it is just the gall bladder if not and it is the small intestine then I will be their a few days and its alittle bit more than a minor surgery. So please pray for me that its just the oh gall bladder. Well until thursday have a good one! Wish me luck:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

You are one of the best friends a guy could ask for, You and Kristee are in my prayers nightly anyway so tonite I will double up. Call me when you can.

I'd really like to know who deleted my post on this thread.....

It contained no f bombs or other prohibited language....

I'd like to know why it was deleted........... :mad:

D

Django said:
I'd really like to know who deleted my post on this thread.....

It contained no f bombs or other prohibited language....

I'd like to know why it was deleted........... :mad:

D

It is a Conspiracy Bozz :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back