The handling saved me.

sealalot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day before I put my truck away for the winter, I was returning home from a friend's house on a little stretch of road with a lot of straight-away. Well, on one of those straight aways, an idiot asshole coming the opposite direction drifted across the yellow lines right into my lane at the last second. I jerked the wheel to the right, and the truck reacted so fast that it pinned me to the driver's side door, and my head smacked into the door pillar. I immediately corrected (so I wouldn't go into the field beside the road), and I was back in my lane..perfectly centered..as if nothing ever happened. It all happened so fast that it took a few seconds for me to even realize how lucky I was. I had just narrowly avoided a 70mph head-on collision!

Once I calmed down a little, and quit cussing and contemplating turning around and chasing down the prick, I came to appreciate the awesome engineering of my truck. It was truly amazing how perfectly and precisely the truck reacted under extreme conditions like that. There was no under-steer and no over-steer. I had complete control throughout the entire maneuver. The mass of the truck literally moved as quickly and precisely as my left arm. All I can say is "wow". In a pickup truck! Who would have thought?

These trucks aren't just all motor. They're an all-around driving machine. That little experience earned me new-found respect for the engineering that went into these things. Had I have been in my F-250, I would have jerked the wheel the same way and I would have hit the guy head-on before the truck responded. I literally missed him by inches, and it was the fact that I was in the Viper truck that made all the difference. What a vehicle.

A couple of years back when the SRT Track Experience had the trucks, it became evident that they handled very well...while the maneuvering was surprising for a truck...I was most amazed at the brakes. In the acceleration tests, these trucks would be whipped up to very high speeds again and again and then the speed would be scraped off with panic braking over and over again and there seemed to be very little brake fade. Now the trucks rested 5 minutes of so between runs, but they did it all day long and the brakes were still amazing at the end of the day.

What a great testimony to the handling of the greatest pickup truck ever created.

Glad it worked out well for you.

How many coats of velvet top you have on your driveway? ;)

We slid one of our SRT-4 race cars across 2 lanes and spun it dead center in a turn lane (I was shotgun with one of our professional drivers in it) to avoid an accident on a 6 lane road when someone pulled out in front of us once. She ended up hitting another car, a Jaguar test drive.

There was a cop sitting at the next intersection, he lit em up and came on down. He came to us first, asked if we were okay and willing to bear witness to the other accident if needed. He told us shortly we could be on our way with the qualifier "That was the best move I've ever seen.", and a huge grin.

The car had Mopar / SRT coilovers as the only modification. I have always been really happy with their suspension works.

Glad to hear everything worked out in your favor.

Glad your o-k...Hope i will never have to experience that but...To hear
a story like that cool...:)

Those experiences can sure make the knees a bit wobbly. Glad you are okay!

My wife and I were once driving in my truck south on I-15 east of Las Vegas. A slow semi was inching along a long upgrade. Another tractor/trailer was passing him in the fast lane. A third rig was in the slow lane right behind the first one. I was ready to pass as soon as the second rig cleared but was wary that the third one might want to pass as well. I hesitated a moment to see what the third one was going to do. He stayed in his lane so I down shifted and started my move. Sure enough, though, right when I got to his rear wheel he moved over right on top of me (the tractor's rear wheel, not the trailer's). At that point we were on a bridge with no shoulder. There was no place to go. I stood on the brakes at about 80 mph. My truck stayed straight and true and and slowed so quickly that we would have gone through the windshield if we weren't strapped in. My wife was very impressed and commented that we definitely got our money's worth with these brakes.

Big Asp said:
Those experiences can sure make the knees a bit wobbly. Glad you are okay!

My wife and I were once driving in my truck south on I-15 east of Las Vegas. A slow semi was inching along a long upgrade. Another tractor/trailer was passing him in the fast lane. A third rig was in the slow lane right behind the first one. I was ready to pass as soon as the second rig cleared but was wary that the third one might want to pass as well. I hesitated a moment to see what the third one was going to do. He stayed in his lane so I down shifted and started my move. Sure enough, though, right when I got to his rear wheel he moved over right on top of me (the tractor's rear wheel, not the trailer's). At that point we were on a bridge with no shoulder. There was no place to go. I stood on the brakes at about 80 mph. My truck stayed straight and true and and slowed so quickly that we would have gone through the windshield if we weren't strapped in. My wife was very impressed and commented that we definitely got our money's worth with these brakes.

Are you back in the country Phil???:dontknow:

Silverback said:
Are you back in the country Phil???:dontknow:

Not yet. We have nine months left as of tomorrow. I just had a little extra spare time and needed a VTCOA fix so I logged on. The 4 cylinder diesel powered Hyundai van I get to drive just doesn't do it for me. 0 to 60 is three weeks.

Big Asp said:
Not yet. We have nine months left as of tomorrow. I just had a little extra spare time and needed a VTCOA fix so I logged on. The 4 cylinder diesel powered Hyundai van I get to drive just doesn't do it for me. 0 to 60 is three weeks.

Well with that kind of speed you would be hard pressed to kill a possum.

Take care over there my friend and looking forward to your return.

I agree that the handling/suspension on these trucks is fantastic. There are some fun twisties around here and when the weather is good and the traffic is non-existant, I take them a little quicker each time.....without a single worry.

Big Asp- don't forget that there's also the pedal on the right!
That'll get you out of hairy situations too. :)

sealalot said:
The day before I put my truck away for the winter, I was returning home from a friend's house on a little stretch of road with a lot of straight-away. Well, on one of those straight aways, an idiot asshole coming the opposite direction drifted across the yellow lines right into my lane at the last second. I jerked the wheel to the right, and the truck reacted so fast that it pinned me to the driver's side door, and my head smacked into the door pillar. I immediately corrected (so I wouldn't go into the field beside the road), and I was back in my lane..perfectly centered..as if nothing ever happened. It all happened so fast that it took a few seconds for me to even realize how lucky I was. I had just narrowly avoided a 70mph head-on collision!

Once I calmed down a little, and quit cussing and contemplating turning around and chasing down the prick, I came to appreciate the awesome engineering of my truck. It was truly amazing how perfectly and precisely the truck reacted under extreme conditions like that. There was no under-steer and no over-steer. I had complete control throughout the entire maneuver. The mass of the truck literally moved as quickly and precisely as my left arm. All I can say is "wow". In a pickup truck! Who would have thought?

These trucks aren't just all motor. They're an all-around driving machine. That little experience earned me new-found respect for the engineering that went into these things. Had I have been in my F-250, I would have jerked the wheel the same way and I would have hit the guy head-on before the truck responded. I literally missed him by inches, and it was the fact that I was in the Viper truck that made all the difference. What a vehicle.

Woooo! That was a Close One Brother. Glad you are ok. Yeah I was thinking also last night how srt engineers Designed this truck to act under Situations like this. Obviously They did a good job:rock:

Annu Kumar said:
Woooo! That was a Close One Brother. Glad you are ok. Yeah I was thinking also last night how srt engineers Designed this truck to act under Situations like this. Obviously They did a good job:rock:

And Boomer made it better.

Silverback said:
And Boomer made it better.
what exactly do I need to get from boomer to make it better? didn't some people have problems with his stuff:dontknow:

sealalot said:
, an idiot asshole coming the opposite direction drifted across the yellow lines right into my lane at the last second. I jerked the wheel to the right, and the truck reacted so fast that it pinned me to the driver's side door, and my head smacked into the door pillar. I immediately corrected (so I wouldn't go into the field beside the road), and I was back in my lane..perfectly centered..as if nothing ever happened..

Know the feeling dude................a truck heading in the opposite direction hauling steel pipe on his pipe racks lost one of the pipes (4 inch diameter) and it bounced right into my lane end to end...:( I jerked the wheel to the right then back without any problems...........just like you, it happened so fast it was just a reaction. Without trying to avoid the pipe, it would have hit my front windshield....... The car behind me ran over/hit the pipe.....

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back