Thinking about starting a business, advice?

Black1 said:
Wasn't trying to discourage you at all.... :dontknow: :eek: I know you will do well at anything you put your mind to. :rock: But, I wouldn't quit your day job and start looking to detail cars. If you can build up a clientele for some weekend (day off) work first, I think that would be a good way to get your feet wet. See how it goes from there. You live in a pretty good sized city, so there are TONS of possibilities. :)

I just never got into the whole "mobile" detailing thing. There is a lot of travel time from job to job, lots of equipment involved, and only so much daylight. Plus, there are restrictions and laws (moderate to severe enforcement) depending on the city/state you work. I can see the need if you have a few large dealer lot accounts.... but, it never appealed to me. I'm anxious to see how it works out for you and what ideas you have! I know it can be a good business when you set up in a larger metro area. But, I've always known the brick-and-mortar approach has worked well (at least for me).

If you are looking for pricing on equipment and supplies, here is a great resource. They have all the major brands and do a hell of a volume business, so the prices are pretty good:

www.autogeek.net

Also, Meguiar's Online is actually a very good detailing forum. They have a LOT of experienced folks on there and some really high profile pro's (like Todd Helme http://belladetailing.com/ )are readily available to answer questions.

www.www.meguiarsonline.com

I know you weren't trying to discourage me. I think part of what I meant was I was hoping to see your (re)venture was doing super-well! I'm not up-and-quitting just yet. I'm gonna start doing it on the side, gather all the before/after pics I can and obtain testimonials.

Normally, I wouldn't have put much thought into it either. After talking to some people at static locations I was informed they had requests for off-site work. I don't think there aren't many (if any) mobile detailers in the area. I've yet to figure out if that's because of lack-of-demand or if it just isn't being done or maybe even due to legal restrictions. I feel I can charge a slightly increased yet competitive rate (due to the convenience) plus eliminate rent/utility bills associated with a static location. Hopefully that offset drive-time (down-time) and fuel costs. Once it all gets going, I'm hoping I can plan a half-assed route so I'm not criss-crossing across town all day. And yes, lack of daylight is something I thought about. I think that'll encourage/promote not spending all day "at the office".

I appreciate the links and advice brother!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :star: I bought a nice 94 Silverado today (partly because I need a work truck - partly because it'll keep me motivated to really see this through).

Roz said:
Well, I had once the worst days at work in a LONG time. They're all regularly shiddy-days anymore (but). On Sat (service dept closes at 12) and I was there until almost 3:00, and I'm there late on a regular basis on weekdays too. We close I 5:30 and I'm usually there til 6:30-7:00. If I leave at 5:30 it's a damn miracle!! I seldom take lunches anymore etc etc. Bitchin' about my job isn't the real purpose of this thread. :mad: :D

Anyways, I've been kicking around the idea of starting my own small business. I know alot of guys are business owners or have been in the past. I've been wanting to do it for a while (several years), but never really had the money or opportunity, and I was scared to take the "risk" (all excuses in my opinion). I'd really like to go after this, but I've got a LOT to learn yet. . . ;)

What I'd like to do is create a mobile auto-detailing business. I'd also like to offer wheel refinishing and paintless dent repair (in due time). I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I want to be able to offer/perform enough services so I'll stay busy with work. For now, I do not intend to have any employees other than the occasionaly helper. I'd also prefer my client-base to be mainly specialty/collector cars instead of daily driven cars but I'll take any work that comes my way. I'm not totaly sold on that idea, because alot of enthusiast (like ourselves) prefer to do their own detailing. That's probably because they don't trust anyone else with their vehicles (atleast that's how I feel). So I figure the mobility aspect of the business will be a more beneficial so people's pride-and-joys will not have to leave their property or their sight for that matter. So, bascially, that's "it" in a nutshell. I'm gonna start doing this on the side any-day-now (gonna hope I have the time with work and all). I'd like to be up and running by next spring or summer. I plan to hit all the local car shows in the spring to spread flyers and drum up customers. :cool:

OK, I'll get to the real point of the thread. I'm gonna do as much research online as well as seek the guidance of local professionals/advisors. What are the do's or dont's of opening a business? Those of you that own your own business, what'd you learn the hard way or what would you have done differently now that you know what you know . . . I (think) the best way to operate would be as an LLC. I want to be able to show a legimate taxable income. I want to be insured incase something crazy happens to a customer's car. I live in a multi-state border (TN/GA/AL) and would want to able to business in all states. I'd also like to be able to travel outside of the "metro" area if the need arises. Well, that about sums it up for now.

Note: Please save all the "where the f**k have you been" posts for another thread. :) :aetsch:

my tips are this. be ready for 6 months of 0 profit.
pay your bills out quite a way when i started i had them out 3 months. be sure you have enough credit on reserve. i started out with about 5000 cash in hand, by 6 months i was 15k in debt.

Working for yourself is unmatched. i can say no anytime, take any vacation i want, and if i don't want to work with/for someone i don't.
also be ready for super long hours. if your hoping for a 9-5 job, don't. sometimes you have hours of paperwork when you get done working.
hire an accountant if you can afford it.

scoobert said:
my tips are this. be ready for 6 months of 0 profit.
pay your bills out quite a way when i started i had them out 3 months. be sure you have enough credit on reserve. i started out with about 5000 cash in hand, by 6 months i was 15k in debt.

Working for yourself is unmatched. i can say no anytime, take any vacation i want, and if i don't want to work with/for someone i don't.
also be ready for super long hours. if your hoping for a 9-5 job, don't. sometimes you have hours of paperwork when you get done working.
hire an accountant if you can afford it.
good advise jerry

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back