thinking of becoming a foster home for German shepherds

05RamSRTkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im hoping to buy a house within the next year or so and since I have a lot of free time and a love for German Shepherds I am looking into becoming either a rescue or at least a foster home for them. Not sure what exactly the legal process is for it or what else is involved, but its just an idea for now. Has anyone done something like this or have any advice for me

not right off but I have one I call dumb dumb:D I would give him to ya but momma would have my fanny LOLOLOLOL

he is actualy a pretty good boy, jsut still got a lot of pup in him.

but thats killer bo:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Check the zoning when you buy your home. You may find a limitation on the number of pets you can have.

A rescue operation will require some work...if you do it right. You will need to incorporate as a 501 (c) (3) corporation. That will enable you to apply for grants and accept donations from adopters and organizations that may wish to assist in the costs.

At a minimum you should construct a web site to promote both the availability of your services and promote adoption. I would find a vet that has similiar feelings, especially one that is willing to do hip repairs...dysplasia is rampant in Shepards these days. You will also need the vet to examine incoming residents, and help with vet tasks. If you find a vet that will help...just the savings on innoculations can be huge...the markup at retail for shots is huge...You will have to put animals down from time to time, and vets have services that dispose of the remains and it is usually a monthly rate without regard to quantity...so the vet can be of assitance there too.

Your love of Shepards is admirable.

Dogs are the only living creatures that naturally have unconditional love for their masters. I feel a person just is incomplete without one...but I have never stayed in a Holliday Inn Express...and God, I hope I never have to!

when i was a kid i had a neighbor with a National Guard German sheppard. the had to keep him on a Chain he was so mean. hated to see that dog treated like that but i was scared shitless of him. he was a bad dude. they are smart beautiful animals. tonys just mad cause Batista is smarter than he is...lol

Thanks guys. Ill be doing a lot of research over the next year or so. If I dont become an actual rescue I know of one in Denver that is always looking for Foster Homes. I have also thought about working with Veteran organizations to help train them for disability assistance or just to provide other vets with a best friend. This being a military town Im sure I would have no trouble getting support from not only the humane society but from local businesses as well. My family currently has 2 of them, a purebred and an all white american shepherd. The white one is a love slut but the purebred, well... she is a bit off but loyal and a great protector

Prof said:
and Batista is dumber than dirt!
lol, you ought to hear him fussin at her when he's on the phone....lol funny shit.:D

If you go the rescue route, check with local stores and retail distribution centers. They will often donate damaged product (torn dog food bags, damaged/blemished packaging) to local charities IF you can provide receipts for tax purposes (see Prof's comment on legal structure above). I plan on starting a no kill shelter in a few years when I get off the road and have researched it heavily. Feel free to ask questions. Other shelters and rescues are great resources for info too, it's all about a love for our fuzzy friends.

Good luck.

I've owned and raised shepards since I was a kid...I've adopted several that were abused. Prepare yourself for a patience challenge to rewin the animal's trust....best if you have some instruction and know how they think (as much as possible that is). It is a long road to regaining trust and retraining in some cases. Best wishes on an admirable goal.

The one breed of dog that I've been completely afraid of for the past 49 years is a German Shepard. Of couse it could be the fact that my Step-Father used to have one and when he'd get half lit or have a bad day, he have the dog eat my ass. After two broken arms and way too many to count stiches, the cops destroyed the dog and kicked his ass. Something I repeated after I got a little older and was in the Marines.

I know they are not a bad breed and I hope you are successful in your endeavor, but I personally want nothing to do with a German Shepard.

ccfeyh said:
The one breed of dog that I've been completely afraid of for the past 49 years is a German Shepard. Of couse it could be the fact that my Step-Father used to have one and when he'd get half lit or have a bad day, he have the dog eat my ass. After two broken arms and way too many to count stiches, the cops destroyed the dog and kicked his ass. Something I repeated after I got a little older and was in the Marines.

I know they are not a bad breed and I hope you are successful in your endeavor, but I personally want nothing to do with a German Shepard.

Sorry to hear that bud. thats just appalling. I dont blame ya for not wanting anything to do with them considering your past. Id do the same for any animal but these dogs have been in my family for many generations so I favor them over most. btw thanks for your service brother :rock:

FATJACK said:
More like a beanie weinie:p :p :p

rub my leg old man it will scare ya for a white boy lol ,,,becky does not call me big boy cause im tall lol:aetsch: o ya go join the fantesy football thingie this year buttmunch

Last edited:
05RamSRTkid said:
Sorry to hear that bud. thats just appalling. I dont blame ya for not wanting anything to do with them considering your past. Id do the same for any animal but these dogs have been in my family for many generations so I favor them over most. btw thanks for your service brother :rock:

Sounds like you didn't need my unsolicited advice. Good luck with your endeavor, they are great dogs!!

A nobel endeavor, I wish you great success.....

I also hope that have a massive place to dispose of canine waste and an army of pooper scooper engineers.

Cheers......

D

Cruster said:
Sounds like you didn't need my unsolicited advice. Good luck with your endeavor, they are great dogs!!

Any advice is welcome my good man. Its always a learning process:D I have a good deal of knowledge when it comes to that breed but I am still rusty with the business side of the venture.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back