This is an odd help request for this site

Demon 8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK Guys
We are thinking of upgrading to a new front load washing machine. I have been reviewing the best I can but it is difficult to find the latest models with enough reviews to feel comfortable. We anticipate doing a matching dryer as well. Size probably over 4 cu. Let me have it:D
I am hoping some of you have bought for the wives and they can help or you can by how satisfied they are.
Thanks

Ready to move to offensive:dontknow:

I reviewed a bunch of them awhile back myself, didnt like the fact that people were saying you get a mold or a smell from them if not cleaned properly so i just bought the big dryer for now.:rock:

get one oversized for what you "think" you will need.

now GE has some great customer service, we have had a couple for a number of years, and after the warranty ran out, we were able to call and get info on what the problem would be.

whirlpool not so much,

LG is supposedly another good brand.

but if you buy a good unit, with good service, or maybe even a extended service plan, you should be able to use them for a good 15 years or more.

so kinda consider it an investment, over a good deal purchase

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
LOLOL but it will wash more than a hemi:D

and FASTER!
It just uses more power to do the same load, the Hemi is more efficient and better for the environment:D

DO NOT BUY a front load washing machine.

We bought one of the very best LG units on the market (very expensive) and matching dryer. We ended up having to call for repairmen about 10 times over a 3 year period. It was CONSTANTLY building up mold and getting stuff all over our clothes. Every item that was washed in it smell like musty mold instead of smelling clean.

We followed the manufacturers instructions to the letter which included wiping/drying out the door and seal with papertowels after EVERY use, running AFRESH tabs thru the machine every 2 to 3 cycles, running BLEACH thru the machine every week or so. It still built up sludge and had to be disassembled, scraped and cleaned by a service tech twice.

Thank goodness for the extended warranty. After exhausting all means with LG (who didn't stand behind their product) the company that we bought from FINALLY gave us a refund so we could get a new machine.

The service techs all told me that front loaders are by their design very HIGH maintenance machines and NOT worth the hassel.

We just got back into a top loader and will NEVER consider a front loader again. We spent more time doing maintenance and cleaning the front loader than we actually used it. BE WARNED - FRONT LOADERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all we have ever had is top loaders , and really never had probs with the GE units. Only a couple probs iwth the dryers.

but good to know on the lg units, I had heard they were supposed to be good, but thanks for the input bro, nothing worse than momma gettin mad over the washer not working;)

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
not JOHN DENVER!!!!!!!!!11AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH MY EARS:argh: :argh: :argh:

LOLOL funny thing is , my mother in law bought me a tree that was planted in yellow stone park one year for x-mas.......................yeah laugh it up:D
Lets go get it!!!:D

OSO said:
Lets go get it!!!:D
LOLOOLOL that would be cool as hell, drop in at the ranger station

"I is heres to get ma tree!"

"what tree sir?"

"the one that thar cheap as# mutta in law gots me for christmas last year!"

bbbbwwwahahhhahahahhahahhhahaahhaa

ViperTruck2933 said:

We bought one of the very best LG units on the market (very expensive) and matching dryer. We ended up having to call for repairmen about 10 times over a 3 year period. It was CONSTANTLY building up mold and getting stuff all over our clothes. Every item that was washed in it smell like musty mold instead of smelling clean.

We followed the manufacturers instructions to the letter which included wiping/drying out the door and seal with papertowels after EVERY use, running AFRESH tabs thru the machine every 2 to 3 cycles, running BLEACH thru the machine every week or so. It still built up sludge and had to be disassembled, scraped and cleaned by a service tech twice.

Thank goodness for the extended warranty. After exhausting all means with LG (who didn't stand behind their product) the company that we bought from FINALLY gave us a refund so we could get a new machine.

The service techs all told me that front loaders are by their design very HIGH maintenance machines and NOT worth the hassel.

We just got back into a top loader and will NEVER consider a front loader again. We spent more time doing maintenance and cleaning the front loader than we actually used it. BE WARNED - FRONT LOADERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second that opinion. Had a Maytag Neptune front loader which eventually bit the dust (thank you) as the motor kicked. The smell was terrible eventhough we periodically ran bleach thru it. They never drain fully due to design therefore that stanky water gets trapped. Also had mutliple motherboard replacements. Repair man and sales at Sears confided that old school washers/dryers without the electronics and bells and whistles are truly your best investment.

I wonder if the sludge build up was a design flaw with one of the first generation washers . I would not think if this type a problem occurred across the board and persisted the sales would continue.

Where in the washer was sludge/ mold building up?

I could see where it might be a problem for mold since the door on a front load washer is sealed opposed to the standard upright washer that would allow the washer to breath while not in use.

OSO said:
I wonder if the sludge build up was a design flaw with one of the first generation washers . I would not think if this type a problem occurred across the board and persisted the sales would continue.

Where in the washer was sludge/ mold building up?

I could see where it might be a problem for mold since the door on a front load washer is sealed opposed to the standard upright washer that would allow the washer to breath while not in use.
The sludge/mold buildup was on the outside of the tub itself (but inside the housing). I was told that all front loaders will do it (even the new ones) because they do not fill completely (that's how they use less water). When you run it every day the tub gets rinsed better.

Look at the owners manual of the new machines. They NOW have a section that tells you that you have to run AFRESH tabs regularly to avoid mold buildups. I haven't researched it but I was also told there are class action lawsuits against front load manufacturers.

The only people who don't see an issue with it are those who run the washer every day (most people don't fall in this category).

ViperTruck2933 said:
The sludge/mold buildup was on the outside of the tub itself (but inside the housing). I was told that all front loaders will do it (even the new ones) because they do not fill completely (that's how they use less water). When you run it every day the tub gets rinsed better.

Look at the owners manual of the new machines. They NOW have a section that tells you that you have to run AFRESH tabs regularly to avoid mold buildups. I haven't researched it but I was also told there are class action lawsuits against front load manufacturers.

The only people who don't see an issue with it are those who run the washer every day (most people don't fall in this category).

The industry term is "Scrud"... It's a buildup of residue from liquid detergents and fabric softeners (mostly fabric softener). Some models and different brands offer a "Self Clean" or "Sanitary" option on the wash settings. Usually, you only run bleach in this setting and HOT water... this will clean the tub. But, the best option I've seen is to NOT use liquid fabric softener. Also, there is a new detergent cloth from Purex that works very well (been using it for almost a year, beginning with test product from the manufacture). Here is a link to the product, and you can get it now in most stores... check it out! Purex 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets

As far as brands go... The top 3 are GE, Whirlpool, and Electrolux. LG Appliances have great features, but they are sub-par on manufacturing and service. Frigidaire sucks, and Maytag is owned by Whirlpool and is essentially the same as the Duet line (same as Kitchenaid). GE generally has good customer service, but they can be expensive for what you get. Whirlpool has made some great advancements over the years with their concept (Duet Line)... Electrolux is fantastic.

I come from a family in the appliance biz... Both my Mom and Dad were executives at Whirlpool. They own a Kenmore (Sears) washer and dryer. :eek: But that is only because it came in the color they wanted... and happens to be made by Electrolux. ;) Me?... Well, I also worked at Whirlpool for a number of years. I only buy top loaders. We currently have a Whirlpool Calypso Washer and Senseon Dryer set. Besides some problems with the control panel on the Calypso, we love it. :)

ViperTruck2933 said:

Makes sense if they don't completely fill up and then just condensate after use. I would think changing the way the water enters the drum could help if not solve the problem. Instead of water just pouring in they could use a jet(s) spraying at the problem areas. This would rinse the problem areas during every wash and keep mold from building up. Even a self clean cycle if not used in a weeks time.:dontknow:

ViperTruck2933 said:

2 yrs maytag front loaders never had mold hell never had a repairman look at them best w and d ive ever owned!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back