Tips on Launching for RC

RedRamRules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So before I go to the track, I would like to get a better idea on how to launch. My first experience at the track was a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't do much of anything except rev 1500-2000 RPM's right before the light turns green.
I know a linelock would be the best solution, but at the moment I would like to see what I can do without it. Thanks.:star:

you dont need a line lock,unless you are going racing all the time! Just rev up the motor,dump the clutch and quickly apply a light brake to it....it should be just enough pressure on the brake to hold you in place...you should feel the truck slightly trying to move forward...this is how I do my burnouts,before I launch. Now the launch itself is just something you will have to practice....
GOOD LUCK,& HAVE FUN.....AND BE CAREFULL!

Yep, practice, practice, practice. Each truck and each track is a little different. You'll need to experiment to find the sweet spot between not frying your tires off and not bogging too much off the line. Whatever you do, don't slip the clutch trying to hook up or you'll be replacing it soon.

If your running oem rubber....drop to 22psi
no need to scald the Pirelli's...just scratch em and roll to the light...simple green if you need to
I use the DTE gauge to let me know where I am at. I was running on "fumes" for a while there....but had cut out...so the minimum # is 70 miles DTE
I fold in my mirrors...tailgate up
I started my launches @1500rpm...see how the track prep was and adjust from there.
You can powershift if you get a decent bite on launch (good track prep)
I keep an eye on the prior runs...to see where everyone's line is...try to hit it
Work on one thing at a time....launch rpm, shifting, R/T...ect.
Save your slips. and make notes on the back...add them to your "cookbook" at the end of the night.
Adjust from there.

Most important...HAVE FUN

Last edited:
you runnin slicks or reg tires?

w/ slicks and a good burnout I was able to dump the clutch at 4,500 rpms and the truck was hooking up real well...that was until I lowered it! Waiting on those adjustable shocks to get my 60' time back!

Regular stockers, but my problem so far is at the line I begin to either move forward or back, can't keep a fixed position (Could be the track). Anyways, what kind of position would your feet have to be in in order to control the brake, throttle and clutch? My size 14 feet are a little cumbersome when it comes to trying to juggle all three at a time. :(

RedRamRules said:
Regular stockers, but my problem so far is at the line I begin to either move forward or back, can't keep a fixed position (Could be the track). Anyways, what kind of position would your feet have to be in in order to control the brake, throttle and clutch? My size 14 feet are a little cumbersome when it comes to trying to juggle all three at a time. :(

Juan....just stage last.....let the other guy set up....stage....take your foot off the brake.....find the right rpm for that night...it will be different each night and go....

Juan just pretend you are sitting at a stop light.......

You look over at the guy next to you and its the husband of the chick you were banging last night............

Quickly look back as though he didnt see you.......

You hear " Hey YOU!"

Nail it and goooooo!!

figure thats th best way to get away quickly:D

Stinker said:

You look over at the guy next to you and its the husband of the chick you were banging last night............

You hear " Hey YOU!"

Nail it and goooooo!!

I take it this is from personal experience :D

Thanks, just need to practice my feetwork at the light :dancing:

At the line your car shouldnt be rolling at all. Track surface should be even? I just stage, then up the rpms to the 2.5 or so and then dump the clutch.

Dont slip it unless you want to spend $2k on the upgrade.

Otherwise just have fun.

patrick

pretty much what he said...you can dump higher or lower rpm's...depending on what the track will allow...just have to feel it out on the first couple runs...watch the other cars run also and see which lane is the best...

i like stinkers input.im gonna try that.lol hehe catch me if you can gramps i like the older ones.teethless lol

RedRamRules said:

This happened to me twice. Figured out this....at the stage there is a ton of rubber built up on the track from burnouts and guys spinning off the line. You can see this when you are way back approaching the tree. Look for 2 black streaks and line up with your tires in the center of these marks. If you don't you might have your tires half on and half off which creates uneven surfaces that will make you roll off the edge when in neutral. Just my $.02!

Rice Eater said:
This happened to me twice. Figured out this....at the stage there is a ton of rubber built up on the track from burnouts and guys spinning off the line. You can see this when you are way back approaching the tree. Look for 2 black streaks and line up with your tires in the center of these marks. If you don't you might have your tires half on and half off which creates uneven surfaces that will make you roll off the edge when in neutral. Just my $.02!
Great tip, I will try that out this weekend, thanks Rice Eater! :rock:

no prob....my mustang buddy filled me in on that! I can't wait to see how my new M&H drag radials hook up! They are 2" taller and 2" wider than what my MT's that i've been running. I'll keep you posted!

Stinker said:

You hear " Hey YOU!"

Nail it and goooooo!!

now that's funny !!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back