Tire rotation scheme

V10ToGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are our Pirelli tires directional? In other words, what's the best rotation scheme? My tire guy keeps rotating them front to back only, but I see no arrows on the tires.

smoke the back ones off and buy new ones....j/k i havent noticed them being directional if you swap sides i think it will cause it to wear faster

eddie102870 said:
smoke the back ones off and buy new ones....j/k i havent noticed them being directional if you swap sides i think it will cause it to wear faster

Yup smoke 'em, move the front to the rear...buy two more front ones...repeat, repeat, repeat....

I don't believe the Pirelli is directional. I rotate my tires with each oil change.
And when a tire is not directional, I always alternate between "X" pattern (right front swap w/left rear and left front swap w/right rear), then on the following oil change do a Front/Rear swap (right front swap with right rear, left front swap with left rear).
The camber is typically different between front and rear, so this pattern seems logically to be optimal for non-directional tires.
Just my 2 cents plus applicable tax...

Last edited:
Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Except when you wear all of them down evenly from road racing. :burnout:

Damn that sounds like fun! I've been lurking around the NASA site and getting an education. Thanks for putting us on to it!

Prof said:
Damn that sounds like fun! I've been lurking around the NASA site and getting an education. Thanks for putting us on to it!

I'm trying to prep the truck for next years fun with those little pesky cars. Being the only truck out there tends to focus the other racers and fans interest on it.

I figure the truck will handle better with the lowering kit and adjustable shocks as well as the new shifter. With speeds in excess of 100 mph at times at just about every track I'm thinking I need to keep the tailgate on so the function of the wing is realized. Not sure at what speeds its really useful however. Maybe I can shed the tailgate and spare tire without giving up some grip from their weight.

I cant imagine how a true slick would feel/perform given its much better grip. Too bad their not available with the stock wheels.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Too bad their not available with the stock wheels.

There are a lot of us with that opinion. Maybe some vendor is listening...

I've always been told not to swap sides with a radial tire, ie they should always rotate the same direction. Not sure how important that really is but I have been told this by multiple tire/suspension shops.

THE CORRECT WAY WITH OUR TRUCKS!!!! CROSS THE FRONTS TO THE BACK AND BRING THE REARS STRIAGHT FORWARD.

bucke77 said:
THE CORRECT WAY WITH OUR TRUCKS!!!! CROSS THE FRONTS TO THE BACK AND BRING THE REARS STRIAGHT FORWARD.
That sounds good. Pirelli's method includes the spare, which we would not do.
Thanks!

Scrambler1 said:
I've always been told not to swap sides with a radial tire, ie they should always rotate the same direction. Not sure how important that really is but I have been told this by multiple tire/suspension shops.
That's an old myth.

bucke77 said:
:dito: Dodge also recommends that method. I have always crossed the non-driven wheels and move the drive wheels straight.

When radial tires first came out it was not recommended that they be cross rotated. THis changed about 25 years ago when better rubber bonding techniques were developed. Cross rotating is now acceptable. Remembering to check your air pressure every month is just as important.

Hey speaking of tire prices, Discount Tire in Atlanta has the Pirelli"s
for 210.00 Each and they pay the freight. They are on the net

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back