Tires

21Bubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a opinion (good or bad) about Goodyear Fortera tires for our trucks? Apparently there's not alot of choices in our stock size.

they're a 55k mile radial - ride is a little stiff and traction will be little to none.

i'm a belieber in pirelli's, but there are other options that are better from toyo, general, sumitomo, and kumho.

having tried all of them but the sumitomo, i'd still stick with the pirelli's...

Anyone have a opinion (good or bad) about Goodyear Fortera tires for our trucks? Apparently there's not alot of choices in our stock size.

Goodyears are only H speed rated. That is only good up to 130 mph. I went with the W rated (168 mph) Firestone tires. I believe that they are discontinued now like the BF Goodrich. The Pirelli tires that came on the 10 stock are Z rated so they are safe over 149 mph. Seeing the 10 is entirely capable of exceeding 130 mph I would not recommend the Goodyear tires. At least go with a V rated tire. They are good up to 149 mph.

Last edited:
Goodyears are only H speed rated. That is only good up to 130 mph. I went with the W rated (168 mph) Firestone tires. I believe that they are discontinued now like the BF Goodrich. The Pirelli tires that came on the 10 stock are Z rated so they are safe over 149 mph. Seeing the 10 is entirely capable of exceeding 130 mph I would not recommend the Goodyear tires. At least go with a V rated tire. They are good up to 149 mph.

Agreed, seeing how these trucks can do 130 no problem I'd go with a V rated tire or higher as a must.

The dealer put these on the rear of my truck before I bought it. They are not bad, dry pavement grip is better than expected. I have Pirelli's on the front, so I cannot speak to there handling abilities. 130 max speed rated it's not so hard to eat that up in these trucks. I am leaving mine put for the time being, but will replace in the future. What is the point of having the fastest truck if your tires can't come with you?

I have run the Goodyear tires for 2 sets worth. They are good for 50K plus miles but 98% of my driving is highway. I have found they do not grip as well as I would like but race so seldom it really is not an issue. Most of my racing is from a 20-30MPH rolling start so really not a problem. I bought the 45's instead of the 40's and get a little smother ride.

The speed rating are for sustained speed, so not sure how many miles you guys are running at 140 mph. It's not like you hit 141 and they blow. Besides, if you have ever run them over/under pressured you have change that rating. Not a whole lot of roads in the country a guy can run 140 sustained. But---if the added safety makes one feel better go for it.

Preaching from the pulpit of right. I could not agree more.

Unfortunately I have seen more than a few tires that exploded at speed. It's never pretty. You will get definitely end up with missing & mangled sheet metal but that is the least of your worries.
Years ago I had this tool that insisted that we dyno his bike with a totally bald rear tire. Even after jumping up & down we still refused to do it.

If that is the tires rating I don't go over it.

That my friends is why we have so many choices on tires as well as color of trucks. :D

Take time to read the ratings as issued by the German folks that have such high speed limits. If you drove under/over inflated any distance at all you have changed (read lowered) your tire rating.

But----safety is first and foremost so the higher the rating the better for you guys that continually drive over the 140 mark. Me, I just hit that mark one time and that for less than 5 seconds.

If you should read I died from a front tire blowing at over the 140 speed then please disregard all my tire statements. :burnout:

A little late but just realized that bumping a curb changes your tire rating downward. Just saying. :dontknow:

The speed rating are for sustained speed, so not sure how many miles you guys are running at 140 mph. It's not like you hit 141 and they blow. Besides, if you have ever run them over/under pressured you have change that rating. Not a whole lot of roads in the country a guy can run 140 sustained. But---if the added safety makes one feel better go for it.

Last night we had a meeting with some Dunlop tire reps at the bike shop I work for. They agreed that the tires speed rating is for sustained speed. I stand corrected.

When I first bought my truck it had the Good years on it. When they wore out I installed the Nittos.

My observations.... The Goodyear tires gripped worse but had better steering input. Like, they "wobble" less than the Nittos. They were noisier than the Nittos.

Both have horrible wet traction.

I'm going to be needing a set of tires sometime this year and i'll probably get the Pirellis.

When I first bought my truck it had the Good years on it. When they wore out I installed the Nittos.

My observations.... The Goodyear tires gripped worse but had better steering input. Like, they "wobble" less than the Nittos. They were noisier than the Nittos.

I'm going to be needing a set of tires sometime this year and i'll probably get the Pirellis.

So agree. My Goodyear have very poor grip in water and from a stand still on dry pavement I can spin them until I let off the gas. Great mileage and like I said, most of my driving is highway.

If you get the Pirellis just make sure that who ever installs them check to make sure they are in round. Pirelli tends to send out quite a few defects in this size for whatever reason.

I have run Pirellis, Bridgestones, Toyos, Continentals and Nittos. The continentals were by far my favorite. Guess what? They are discontinued, like every other great tire.

If you get the Pirellis just make sure that who ever installs them check to make sure they are in round. Pirelli tends to send out quite a few defects in this size for whatever reason.

I agree with this 100%. The Pirelli tires are great but there were a lot of them produced that were far from round.

I agree with this 100%. The Pirelli tires are great but there were a lot of them produced that were far from round.

The first set and the set I just got have both been Pirellis and I couldn't be happier. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Maybe I spoke too soon, what are the symptoms of a out of round tire?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back