Torn ball joint boot.. HELP!

Cablefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am installing Stinks 1/2 kit on my truck and when it comes time to pop the upper control arm ball joint loose I tore the boot that goes around the ball joint. Its not a large tear, but its torn.

So now I'm sitting in a holding pattern until I can replace the torn boot. The boot looks to be replaceable but from this point I don't know where I can find just the boot. I found some numbers on the boot which I assume is the part number for the actual ball joint. "TRW 65215" is the number stamped on the boot. I did find out that the ball joint is the same for all 1500 models for 02-05. Does anyone know of a place that would just carry the boot? Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers!

Got to looking closer at my tie rod boot and its torn too. I found these from energy suspension but don't know if they are available for our trucks. I will make a call tomorrow to see what I can find.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tierboots.html

I can't beleive I am the only one to report a torn ball joint and or tie rod boot during a lowering kit install.

Cablefed said:
Got to looking closer at my tie rod boot and its torn too. I found these from energy suspension but don't know if they are available for our trucks. I will make a call tomorrow to see what I can find.

I can't beleive I am the only one to report a torn ball joint and or tie rod boot during a lowering kit install.

Maybe you are just ultra klutzie or the rest are ultra shy :D ;) :p

Sorry about your boot :(

Jrangel,

The energy suspension parts you listed are for a early model challenger. I did not see a listing for a dodge ram ball joint. I found boots that should work for the tie rods. The mopar you listed is that just for the boot on the upper control arm? Thanks for your help.

Cablefed said:
Jrangel,

The energy suspension parts you listed are for a early model challenger. I did not see a listing for a dodge ram ball joint. I found boots that should work for the tie rods. The mopar you listed is that just for the boot on the upper control arm? Thanks for your help.

I believe they will fit. Many a RAM Truck guys have used them. You would also be surprised what else from a challenger would fit.

Last edited:
I would not worry...Just put the truck backtogether and drive it...Of course not that the boot is torn, it is now more suspectible to wear faster but It will still last a long time. In the meantime you can look for a new boot or ball joint to replace it..

Cablefed said:

Where these the ones:

Energy Suspension 9.13103G Black
Energy Suspension 9.13103R Red

The tie rod boots?

Hey man go ahead and replace the whole thing. Jack your truck up by the frame and grab your wheel and push the top and bottom back and forth if it wiggles replace it. If it wiggles left and right look at your tie rod ends. I had to do my upper ball joints, the control arm is much more expensive when you buy it from the dealer than if firestone does. Viper tech told me the dealer doesnt sell the joint seperate from the control arm :dontknow:. If you can get the joint from energy suspension go for it. If you have the part number autozone can order it and have it in 2 days. But at least when you get the control arm you the the bushings with the package.

Last edited:
Jrangel,

Yep, those were the tie rod boots I came up with after measuring the tie rod and following energy suspensions recommendations. I plan on ordering both parts and seeing where that gets me. I am also waiting on some sway bar links from Justin before I reassemble the front end.

I don't see the point in replacing either joint unless I absolutely have to.

cablefed, jsut seen the thread, sorry,, but actualy you'll be fine like ferrari said, the joints are non greasable and lifetime joints, but yes the energy suspension boots will work bro:rock:
not sure but if not mistaken the hemi truck joints are almost the exact sme measurement too.

hollar if ya need me , my phone is melting from taking care of some issues, i may be scarce for a couple days, but wil still return the calls:)

Thanks Stink! I ordered the boots from some online joint and spent about $30 bucks for the boots, but also ordered another size just incase the ones discussed earlier on the thread don't work. I will post pics and part numbers once I have a good fit. I'm sure down the road someone will do what I did and need to make a fix. Cheers!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back