Towing Hitch

speed junkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here first post:rock: . I was just wondering if anyone has put the qc towing hitch on their rc. If you have then i am interested. Does it just bolt right on? Why did none of the rc come with towing hitches? The only reason i can think of is that its a manual trans.:dontknow:

I believe it bolts right on, but the engine will overpower the clutch if you're towing a load so you gotta be extra extra careful not to accellerate too hard. especially from a dead stop.

speed junkie said:
.... Why did none of the rc come with towing hitches? The only reason i can think of is that its a manual trans.:dontknow:

DCX stated that you cannot tow with a RC SRT-10. That's why there is no hitch. ;)

I think you are partially correct, tho. The combination of the Horsepower and the tranny is what did it.......... They did not want to warranty a clutch for a truck that did lots of towing. So they said no towing on the RC. At least, that's my guess. :)

The hitch will fit and you can tow with no problem if you are careful.

JMBJustin has the hitch set up on his RC. The wiring harness is already there and everything. ;)

If they didnt want us to tow with a RC, why is the harness there, and a "cut out" in the center of the bumper?

I don't need to tow anything heavy. But if the clutch just wont handle it i probably won't. My stealership either can't or won't warranty anything without a fight. Its actually pissed me off so much i have actually tought about getting rid of the truck. Then i come to my senses. BTW you guys replied fast. Don't you people do anything else besides sit on this site and help tards like me? lol

Nope nothing better to do, plus I am getting paid to do this ...

JBM - What does "minor notching" mean, do you have a picture of just how much we need to cut to make it fit?

speed junkie said:
I don't need to tow anything heavy. But if the clutch just wont handle it i probably won't. My stealership either can't or won't warranty anything without a fight. Its actually pissed me off so much i have actually tought about getting rid of the truck. Then i come to my senses. BTW you guys replied fast. Don't you people do anything else besides sit on this site and help tards like me? lol
I purchased a MOPAR hitch and it bolted up with no issues.

If you use common sense and are careful, you won't have any problems towing.

I towed my GMC Syclone with my RC - ~5,000lbs.+ - and had no problems whatsoever. Just be gentle when starting out, shift slowly, and be sure to fully engage the clutch between shifts before you accelerate. I used 5th gear when I was on flat highway @ 60-65mph with no problems, but IMO, 6th puts too much of a load on the drivetrain.

Black1 said:
They put all that there just to tease you. :p :2in1:

Ha, mine's no work truck so it doesn't tease me! Only work mine see's is trying to get out of its own way!:D

. . . or trying to outrun its shadow. . . ?

you can towing with rc but u need to be careful, but qc have no problem with towing

According to the 2005 Owners Manual:
(Page 211)
"All Dodge Ram Pickup Trucks are intended to tow trailers up to 2,000 lbs. (907 kgs.) without added equipment or alterations to standard equipment."
There are no notes or stipulations regarding the 2005 SRT-10.

UPDATE:
According to the 2004 Owners Manual:
(Page 192)
"DO NOT tow a trailer with Dodge Ram SRT-10 models."

My guess would be that with the rear end gear change (4:11 in 04 to 4:56 in 05), the owners manual and towing recommendations also changed. This probably saved DCX hundreds of thousands of dollars in warranty clutch repairs/changes.
Thanks to HotRodMike for the 04 info!

Hamrhead said:
If you use common sense and are careful, you won't have any problems towing.
Quite possibly the best advice regarding towing.
Nice one Hamr!

P.S.- My 05 also came with a factory hitch and factory harness.

BigRed460 said:
Nope nothing better to do, plus I am getting paid to do this ...

JBM - What does "minor notching" mean, do you have a picture of just how much we need to cut to make it fit?

If you pull the plug out, the bumper curls up about 1/2-3/4". You can grind some of that out to make the bumper look correct. You dont HAVE to grind it out, it just makes the bumper fit better around the hitch. If you put the plug back in, you would never know it was ground out.
Justin

Thanks, I need to get a hitch. Can you powercoat if i were to buy it?

As previously stated, I purchased the factory Mopar hitch and it went on with no issues, problems or frustrations. Looks and works great. Even my local dealer commented how good it looked with our rear bumper covers. I tow lots of two wheeled vehicles so not a lot of weight or concerns for me. Besides I'll be out of warranty either tomorrow or the next day.....36K miles approaching fast!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back