Towing Question

VNM PWRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have very little experience towing .... So if you could enlighten me :D it would be much appreciated .... I want to tow my G500 to NY with the Land Rover LR3 which is rated to 7700 lbs the G500 comes in at 5680 lbs and U-haul
trailer comes in at 2000 lbs .... So i thought it would be OK :dontknow: but U-haul states that you can not tow any thing over 4000 lbs http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-autotransport Do you think I would be all right if I did this ?

This sounds iffy, without knowing the tire ratings, axle ratings, ect, it would be difficult to know if this safe.

FSTJACK said:
This sounds iffy, without knowing the tire ratings, axle ratings, ect, it would be difficult to know if this safe.
Hey Jack,
Well its a tandem axle trailer ... I am not sure but I thought the axles would be rated at the minmum of 3500 each x2 = 7000 :dontknow: I will have to stop by U-haul and take a look at the tire ratings :toilet: Would happen to have idea of place that would rent one that would meet my needs ?

Cheers J.T.

If either of them is a straight shift and transfer case has a neutral position flat tow it with a tow bar. Beats the heck out of towing an extra 2000 lbs. across the country.

FATJACK said:
If either of them is a straight shift and transfer case has a neutral position flat tow it with a tow bar. Beats the heck out of towing an extra 2000 lbs. across the country.

Tell me more:dontknow: how about the stopping part:eek:

apply pedal sooner:p

but on the trailor, your tires would be the main thing, most of the u haul trailors are pretty tough, but check the one you may get good.

and keep the tires aired up, and dont speed to high,mostly the limit, and take frequent stops to let the tires cool;)

All the u-haul trailers have crappy brake system... they all use the inertia type brake systems...

Whenever I am hauling a heavy load I prefer electric brake with a good controller such as a Tekonsha Prodigy.

Thanks for all the input guys:D .... I have one more request :eek: .... it looks like I will be hitting some snow and ice :( I am picking up some snow chains for the LR3 and trailer I am not sure what else I need ?

Cheers J.T.

VNM PWRD said:
Thanks for all the input guys:D .... I have one more request :eek: .... it looks like I will be hitting some snow and ice :( I am picking up some snow chains for the LR3 and trailer I am not sure what else I need ?

Cheers J.T.

ok where you goin JT?

not many places in the US you need chains bo:D

Have you considered just having it transported out there for you? Maybe the best way and save the wear and tear on the tow vehicle. Towing that heavy behind a vehicle not really set up for it can be dangerous. A heavy Trailer will load the back or front differently depending on driving or braking. Bumps in the road will tend to unload the tow truck front end and braking can unload the back wheels, especially when using the lousy brakes on the uhaul trailers.

VNM PWRD said:
Tell me more:dontknow: how about the stopping part:eek:

You would need a braking system on the towed vehicle, U-Haul will rent you a tow bar and probably a braking system.
Camping World also has these systems for sale but there not cheap.

I would really look into an auto shipping company, would probably be around 1.25 a mile and they are responsible for it to your destination.

I will be shipping the G500 ...... I am towing a small trailer with personal things that the family can not live with out and needed yesterday.

Cheers J.T.

FATJACK said:
You would need a braking system on the towed vehicle, U-Haul will rent you a tow bar and probably a braking system.
Camping World also has these systems for sale but there not cheap.

I would really look into an auto shipping company, would probably be around 1.25 a mile and they are responsible for it to your destination.

Hey Jack,
I took care all that stuff at Land Rover they are the only ones that cary the towing accessories :mad: 4x $$$$ for what it cost for my Ford pick ups:eek:

VNM PWRD said:
I will be shipping the G500 ...... I am towing a small trailer with personal things that the family can not live with out and needed yesterday.

Cheers J.T.
I think that was a very smart move.:rock:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back