Towing with an RC

Begood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who says you can't tow with an RC? It pulled it like it wasn't even there. I was worried at first, but it handled it perfectly.

We got quite a few "looks" while doing this.

Bill.

I have heard so many people say that the clutch in the RC cannot take the punishment and should not be used for hauling at all. This concerns me because I am looking at moving in the spring and the g/f's SRT caliber when it arrives will be in tow...should I not tow with my RC?? Just one more thing, I'm talking about towing arcoss Canada not just a short haul.

You *can* tow with the RC, you just have to be smart about it.

For the 99% of us, there won't be a problem. It's that 1% that has Dodge shaking in their boots regarding clutch replacement across the board.
You know that 1%....that tries to tow a 58' Hatteras, with 4 cords of wood stacked in his bed, up Pikes Peak.

Heavy brain usage results in a happy truck.

so If I'm towing a SRT-4 on a car trailer across Canada in 6th gear at 110km/hr I sould be ok?

I haven't towed anything with mine (no toys to tow...heh heh), but several owners/members here have towed serious distances. All without issue.

I'm sure BeGood will post up with his recent experience and tips on towing.

Let me know when you get tired of towing that Duster. I'll be first in line to take it off your hands.

towing in 6th gear is deffinately not reccomended. use 5th and you should be fine.

I tow my 3800lbs 03 cobra around Texas, La., all day long wihtout any issues what so ever in 6th gear too. like the others have said be smart about it. dont ride the clutch and dont get yourself into a position to were you have to back out for more than a couple of feet.

Thanks guys.

I didn't have any issues at all, I stayed on surface roads only because I wasn't going a long distance. However I don't see any problem towing for a long distance.As far as 6th gear is concerned I don't see a problem, just don't lug the engine at too low of an RPM. If you have the 2004 4:10 gears you might want to use 5th, but otherwise I don't see any problems.

By the way, I am still running the stock 2004 clutch with 17,000 miles on it.

Bill.

Is that a "Feather" Duster? :dontknow:

Great looking setup! :rock:

The Feather Dusters were made in 75 and 76, they were 6 cylinder cars with aluminum hood and truck lid for good fuel economy. Mine is an original 71 Duster 340 4-speed car.

Bill.

Begood said:
The Feather Dusters were made in 75 and 76, they were 6 cylinder cars with aluminum hood and truck lid for good fuel economy. Mine is an original 71 Duster 340 4-speed car.

Bill.

My bad. All the one's I have seen were converted over to a V8 of some sort. :eek: I guess that's "popular" to leave it looking like a 6 cylinder car (sleeper), plus have the weight advantage of the aluminum panels . . .

Very nice car bill, I love it! :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back