trailer brake plug?

SRT102JZ

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a camper trailer tomorrow and towing it with my rc 10 and I just realized I'm going to have to plug the trailer in for the electric brakes. Apparently I need a 4way to 7way plug. I know most trucks have a plug right in the bumper for this, but ours do not. Is there one hidden behind the bumper? If not, how do I go about hooking up the trailers brakes? Need to know by tomorrow.

Buy an elecronic brake controller, Plug ,wire, try an RV place

Here is a good one, I have one, works well.

http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-prodigy-trailer-camper-brake-control-p-1432.html

Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer Camper Brake Control
[s097-968477]

About this product...
View Larger Image
Shipping Cost
Customer Reviews
Ask a question
Manufacturer's Number: 90185 $161.00 $89.99

The most advanced and intelligent approach to trailer brake controls! Easily and effortlessly stop your towed trailer without manual leveling while Prodigy™ constantly adjusts itself to the position of the tow vehicle. Self-adjusting sensing device allows for easy, flexible installations. Digital display depicts voltage delivery to trailer during braking. The "boost" feature gives you the ability to apply more initial trailer braking power when towing heavier trailers and allows trailer to slightly lead a braking event. Unit gives a visual warning if trailer connector becomes disconnected. Includes pre-assembled wiring harness, mounting bracket and pocket mounting kit. For 2, 4, 6 and 8 brake trailers.

Last edited:
The place I'm renting the trailer from is supplying me with an electronic brake controler. Is that all I need or do I need to go buy something else to make it work correctly?

Thanks wifey

There are kits available that will plug into the factory harness giving you what you need. Most any trailer hitch company will have them. Heck your neighborhood Uhaul usually keeps them in stock. When I purchased my tow kit from Dodge it included everything I needed.

SRT102JZ said:
The place I'm renting the trailer from is supplying me with an electronic brake controler. Is that all I need or do I need to go buy something else to make it work correctly?

Thanks wifey

Here is a generic wiring diagram. You may have to buy the circuit breaker, black (positive) wire, white (ground) wire and connectors.

Then the wire (Brake) to the plug and I suggest a separate Ground wire (from the battery) to the plug. And then the light hook up to the plug

Check for an install kit as they are available for many makes and models of trucks and cars.;) :D

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr forgot, there already is a light plug on the truck from the factory (at least the 04 Reg Cab does, I looked)
It is about in the middle beind the rear bumber cover, real easy to see.

This will still have to be wired to the trailer along with the brake wires though.

Attachments

• 03-13-2009 01;18;27AM (2).jpg
    03-13-2009 01;18;27AM (2).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:
The four way plug on the truck will not help, you will have to install the brake controller and a seven way plug, no biggie for any rv dealer or U-Haul store

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back