Transmission Damper

spry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I have been troubleshooting my mysterious driveline vibration, I have been wondering if I need a transmission damper (5174632AA)? I'm not exactly sure how the damper installs, but would it work with a custom driveshaft (5" aluminum)? Does anyone have pictures of theirs? I'm going to have the driveshaft rebalanced, install the damper, and will be ready to :burnout: again.

Are you stock height or lowered? You should start out measuring pinion angle bud and see if it needs shimming up or down. That's the cause of most vibrations.

It's lowered 2/5. The first step I took was shimming (4 degree), but it didn't help the vibrations. Scott, are you running any sort of damper on your single piece?

It's lowered 2/5. The first step I took was shimming (4 degree), but it didn't help the vibrations. Scott, are you running any sort of damper on your single piece?

No sir no damper. I forget what years came with that damper but seems to me it couldn't help much with the way it's designed. Was that 4* shim what measuring the angles gave you for a correction factor?

I did my own measurements, and came up with a 4* shim. Quoting from another thread

"I am currently at (in Degrees): Front 4.5 down, Rear 4 Down, Driveshaft 1 Down. Therefore, by my calculations, my angle at rest is .5 Down.

My vibrations seem to happen on the highway, especially when passing other cars. I believe this has something to do with my angle at cruise throttle. According to the article, the angle changes around 2 Degrees when cruising. Therefore, my angle at cruise throttle is 1.5 Degrees up."

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/axle-shim-measurement-59116/

Maybe I need to throw in 2* shims, and see what happens.

I did my own measurements, and came up with a 4* shim. Quoting from another thread

"I am currently at (in Degrees): Front 4.5 down, Rear 4 Down, Driveshaft 1 Down. Therefore, by my calculations, my angle at rest is .5 Down.

My vibrations seem to happen on the highway, especially when passing other cars. I believe this has something to do with my angle at cruise throttle. According to the article, the angle changes around 2 Degrees when cruising. Therefore, my angle at cruise throttle is 1.5 Degrees up."

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/axle-shim-measurement-59116/

Maybe I need to throw in 2* shims, and see what happens.

4 definitely sounds like too much. I bet the 2* will be the key.

you don't need the dampner, your axle is twisiting at hwy speeds just enough to throw off the angle, change it 1-2 degrees you should be fine, first just try removing the spare tire, and try, that will tell you a lot, driveshaft will be fine or you may check your center support bearing, if its worn then your angle will go out also at speed, what you have is torsional , not necessarily rotational

I originally went with the 4* shim because I thought that .5* off from a regular cruise throttle angle wasn't enough (thought I'd have more spring wrap). I've heard that an angle too close to 0 can cause vibration, but I'm going to play with shim angles until I see a difference. Thanks for the spare tire idea, I've driven with it in and out, but haven't really paid attention to the difference it makes. Considering you're two vendors I trust, a damper is not in my future. Thanks, gents.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back