Transmission problem

rickb-x-svt

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started having problems downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Grinding noise plus the fact that I almost had to pull the shifter all the way back to the seat to get it to go into gear.
Took it to my local area Dodge dealer and they agree there is a problem and my service advisor says that he is going to have them replace my transmission.
Has anyone else needed to have their stock transmission replaced (other than race related)?
Anything I should be aware of or watch out for?
I'm thinking that this might be a good time to have my clutch upgraded.
Any experiences with getting the dealer to do this at the same time?

Well since your an 04 your screwed on the clutch........it only has a 12 month 12k mile warranty. Is your clutch slipping at all yet? Could be a slave master issue. Labor on a clutch install is around $400 give or take. If your clutch is going south, I would definatly change out to a centerforce.

There have a few guys whom have had their trannies replaced. Maybe they will chime in.

patrick

sounds like the clutch

havent seen too many tranny problems, sounds like a bent fork.

but go ahead and call boomer and get the centerforce clutch and master and slave cylinder, around $1500 and maui is correct the dealer should charge you about $400, oh and pick up some motul 600 brake fluid to replace the stock clutch fluid, really helps

Give me a call Rick - hope your well...I went through the same thing...

Sorry - just cleaned it. I'm in FL this week but the phone is forwarding...

I didn't have grinding but I could not downshift from 3 to 2. I ended up having to replace the 2nd gear synchro assembly with only about 4k miles on the clock.

I had the same problem,, I replaced with a centerforce, and allum FW clutch felt great, but same problem. Took it to the dealer they said the main rails wore bent, and the case was bad. I got the truck back about 3 weeks later. 200 miles after my nice new rebuild the trans exploded. The fluid and metal come out looking like a liquid tire!!!! So after that it was in the shop for another 4 weeks waiting on the new Trans. So if the dealer says yes it’s the Trans and not the clutch talk to the service manager and try to get a new one!! Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I just took mine in for service cause I was having the same problem and also when driving on the highway...when going from fourth to fifth...it kept on wanting to go to reverse and grinding really loud! It is still under the factory warranty and the dealer is going to replace the whole transmission with a new one! They said it will take two-three days to get it from Michigan...what do you guys think??:dontknow:

BigRed said:
I just took mine in for service cause I was having the same problem and also when driving on the highway...when going from fourth to fifth...it kept on wanting to go to reverse and grinding really loud! It is still under the factory warranty and the dealer is going to replace the whole transmission with a new one! They said it will take two-three days to get it from Michigan...what do you guys think??:dontknow:

If you are hitting reverse you have other problems. There is an electronic lockout for reverse. Make sure that they correct it when the new transmission is installed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back