Trouble in Miami

Mighty1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my 2005 SRT10 Quad a couple months ago after going temporarily insane and buying it from an out of state dealer without even driving it. It had a ton of mods done already - paxton, nitrous, xmetal TB, Bassani headers, MBRP exhaust, lowered, guages, grill, mirrors, rotors, trans and TC.

It arrived with the CEL on and a slight missfire. After a failed leakdown test and head removal, a broken piston and ring were found along with a number of other worn parts. It sat at a certain shop for 2 months before I got a super high repair estimate after which I pulled it from that shop.

I am having the engine rebuilt 10 over, forged pistons and rods of course, port and polish heads, match port intake, roller rockers, etc.

Now with the questions I hope you guys can help me with:

1) Would a cam designed to work with the SC be advised and worth the cost?

2) Is there anyone who has or makes a dedicated belt drive system for the paxton?

3) What is a safe amount of boost with pump gas and are bigger injectors advised? If so, what size?

4) This truck supposedly has the "$5000" trans and aftermarket converter. How can I tell which company built it and what converter it has? Can't seem to find any tags or numbers on either.

5) Does the 'built" trans use the ATF+4 fluid or something different?

6) Anyone know where to get a good shop manual for this truck as I have to put the engine back in having not been the one to remove it. (wires and plugs everywhere)

Thank you for any help you can provide!!

I can answer a couple of those questions, and I'm sure that others will chime in for the others.

Q 1: Yes it would, but you would need to do some head work (ie springs, push rods, port and polish)

Q 2: One is in the works hopefully it will be done before the end of the year.

Q 3: With a forged bottom end not really sure, but 10-12 psi would be easily handled so long as you have enough fuel. As far as injectors I would probably guess around 69lbs maybe even a little bigger you just gotta make sure you have enough fuel presure to feed them at wot.

I can't help you with the other questions, but I'm sure someone here will.

BTW I'm in Miami as well. Would you mind saying the name of the shop that gave you the super high repair bill?

I'd rather not say the name as there may be some left over pieces still there that I may need to retrieve. Once everything is done I will be telling the whole story....

Mighty1 said:
Hey guys, I got my 2005 SRT10 Quad a couple months ago after going temporarily insane and buying it from an out of state dealer without even driving it. It had a ton of mods done already - paxton, nitrous, xmetal TB, Bassani headers, MBRP exhaust, lowered, guages, grill, mirrors, rotors, trans and TC.

It arrived with the CEL on and a slight missfire. After a failed leakdown test and head removal, a broken piston and ring were found along with a number of other worn parts. It sat at a certain shop for 2 months before I got a super high repair estimate after which I pulled it from that shop.

I am having the engine rebuilt 10 over, forged pistons and rods of course, port and polish heads, match port intake, roller rockers, etc.

Now with the questions I hope you guys can help me with:

1) Would a cam designed to work with the SC be advised and worth the cost?yes, you design the cam for the mods you have, you take what you do , such as valve size, compression, rockers, headers, projected boost so on, and designe the cam around what you have

2) Is there anyone who has or makes a dedicated belt drive system for the paxton? not at this time , one guy levin? is supposed to be developing one, but will most likly be $$$

3) What is a safe amount of boost with pump gas and are bigger injectors advised? If so, what size?69 lb injectors stay around12 lbs of boost and be happy

4) This truck supposedly has the "$5000" trans and aftermarket converter. How can I tell which company built it and what converter it has? Can't seem to find any tags or numbers on either. will not know unless you tear it open

5) Does the 'built" trans use the ATF+4 fluid or something different? atf +4 tranny fluid

6) Anyone know where to get a good shop manual for this truck as I have to put the engine back in having not been the one to remove it. (wires and plugs everywhere)ooops, well cant help ya on this one

Thank you for any help you can provide!!
I hope you have a good viper engine builder to the engine, alot of folks think they can take it to anyone to rebuild, but its not a small block cheverolet and alot of folks end up iwht a bigger head ache than they started with sometimes

oh and I answered some of the Q's in the quote above

Last edited:
1) Would a cam designed to work with the SC be advised and worth the cost? Absolutely worth the cost if you get the proper cam for your application

2) Is there anyone who has or makes a dedicated belt drive system for the paxton? No idea in my opinion take off the Paxton and put on JMB's Procharger, especially if you are porting your heads. the Paxton will not flow enough.

3) What is a safe amount of boost with pump gas and are bigger injectors advised? If so, what size? You will not flow enough with a Paxton to worry about max boost, injectors are also a good idea if you have someone who can properly tune it afterwards. Max boost that a "properly built" engine will handle if I remember right from Dom and Justin's experiments is around 21 or 22 pounds, then it will lift the heads.

4) This truck supposedly has the "$5000" trans and aftermarket converter. How can I tell which company built it and what converter it has? Can't seem to find any tags or numbers on either. Any aftermarket converter and transmission I have had built has had a decal on it with the company that did the work.

5) Does the 'built" trans use the ATF+4 fluid or something different? No idea one of the QC guys needs to answer this

6) Anyone know where to get a good shop manual for this truck as I have to put the engine back in having not been the one to remove it. (wires and plugs everywhere) PM moparracing, he can get you a service manual

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses!! So it looks like I want to stay around 12 lbs of boost, get a cam made (already have to change the pushrods and rockers due to wear anyway) and go for some bigger injectors. I probably should change the fuel pump since I only have the 2 little pumps that come with the paxton kit.

No tags or stamps anywhere on the trans besides factory ones painted over. I called Suncoast trans and found out they paint all of their trannies grey (mine is black) so not one of theirs. Tried to call HTS but got voicemail.

I guess I am gonna get a friend to figure out the dedicated belt drive for the blower. Anyone else interested in this?

Gonna PM moparracing about the service manual.

Thanks again for all the great advice!!

You may want to post some more info about your truck. The former owner was probably a member here, that might be your best source of info.
And PM Viperjeff and see if your truck is in the registry.

I bought the truck from a dealership but I was able to find out the previous owner's name was Ricardo Rosario from Virginia. Anyone know him?

word thru the grapevine is doug levin is doing the dedicated blower drive for the paxton , and if not mistaken putting a auto in litemups truck? or maybe it was mikeys? I think he was gonna do a gm tranny like carlwalski did?

Last edited:
Mighty1 said:
I bought the truck from a dealership but I was able to find out the previous owner's name was Ricardo Rosario from Virginia. Anyone know him?
Was he the lead singer of manudo?

its ricardo's old truck jrgnd out of va, built originally by x metal, ran an 11 sec pass, and ridardo had tre in va rebuild the tranny

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
word thru the grapevine is doug levin is doing the dedicated blower drive for the paxton , and if not mistaken putting a auto in litemups truck? or maybe it was mikeys? I think he was gonna do a gm tranny like carlwalski did?
Don't think it would be alex. Can't see alex driving an auto. Not the way he walked me that night. :D

SANTEEN said:
Don't think it would be alex. Can't see alex driving an auto. Not the way he walked me that night. :D
I hope alex gets to make it to panama this year , so far looks like a good turnout:)

Negative on the auto. Defeats the purpose why I bought my truck. Don't get wrong on some days I wish it were an auto, but its just not me. As for the dedicated drive for the paxton we will just have to wait and see. We might just see a Paxton pushing 15 psi in the not so distant future.;) :elefant:

LitemUp said:
Negative on the auto. Defeats the purpose why I bought my truck. Don't get wrong on some days I wish it were an auto, but its just not me. As for the dedicated drive for the paxton we will just have to wait and see. We might just see a Paxton pushing 15 psi in the not so distant future.;) :elefant:
be some serious swing man, good luck with it, but try to make it to panams this year man, no more excuses:aetsch:

be some serious swing man, good luck with it, but try to make it to panams this year man, no more excuses:aetsch:

Will try to make it to PCB.

Does anybody know this guys truck....maybe it used to belong to a forum member.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back