truck died, Possible bad fuel pump!

mr. anderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well at least I was in the driveway when it happened. tried to restart it and it wouldn't start. checked the gauges, Zero Fuel Pressure! checked the fuses, they were all good, checked the relay, swapped it for the fog light relay. still no fuel pressure. I think the stock fuel pump was actually going bad all this time and finally gave up the ghost on me. right after I fueled the truck up, still under the extended warantee. just a $100 deductable, had the truck towed to the dealership and it'll be looked at first thing in the morning.

Wow! Thankfully it did not hurt your engine that would have really sucked. Go thing is that you get a new fuel pump installed for $100. Maybe this would be a good time to upgrade to a bigger pump (Walboro 255 ;) ), and have the dealer install it for $100.

I'm glad to hear the dealer covered it with the Paxton sitting in there!!!:rock:

I also have to thank Torrie at unleashed, wasn't sure the tune may have caused something to go haywire, unlikely but always a chance. he called me back pretty quickly and gave some points of view and helped rule out the tune. Thanks Torrie!

Well, got the call a couple hours ago, fuel pump was indeed bad, they have one in dallas and should get it thursday, and I should get the truck back Thursday night or Friday. this all is covered under warentee. w/ a $100. deductable.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :rock: :rock: :rock:

ZCx said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Mine went bad as well. I have a tune and was adding octain boosters to stop the ping. Thought that the additives may have caused the problem. Glad it worked out.:)

poop on a shingle! part had to be ordered from michigan, wasn't in dallas, seems to be a "special" order item, should be here next tuesday they said. now I just sit and wait some more...

Up side to a fuel pump failure...I always fear for those that have dual pumps...the truck will still run with one pump working...but the engine will not get sufficient fuel under heavy acceleration.

If you have dual fuel pumps...you should assure that you have a very reliable way to determine the moment that one of the pumps fails. I fear that checking fuel pressure is just not enough of a safety margin.

I would almost always opt for a larger single rather than multiple...unless it is a track only vehicle.

Prof said:
Up side to a fuel pump failure...I always fear for those that have dual pumps...the truck will still run with one pump working...but the engine will not get sufficient fuel under heavy acceleration.

If you have dual fuel pumps...you should assure that you have a very reliable way to determine the moment that one of the pumps fails. I fear that checking fuel pressure is just not enough of a safety margin.

I would almost always opt for a larger single rather than multiple...unless it is a track only vehicle.

Prof, the nexus gauges are nice in the fact that you can set a lower limit pressure and the whole gauge goes solid red at first if you hit the set limit. if it goes below that limit it flashes at you. that's what got my attention when the truck initially died, low fuel pressure.

here's a link to the gauges:

http://autometer.com/demos/nexus/

mr. anderson said:
Prof, the nexus gauges are nice in the fact that you can set a lower limit pressure and the whole gauge goes solid red at first if you hit the set limit. if it goes below that limit it flashes at you. that's what got my attention when the truck initially died, low fuel pressure.

here's a link to the gauges:

http://autometer.com/demos/nexus/

I had no idea! That would make me feel a lot safer. Thanks for the update...I live mostly in 1952 technology...:D (I can't understand anything newer than that!)

the gauges are pretty sick, and unfortunately cost a little coin, since they all tie into what they call a sensor, basically a brainbox/hub, from there all the data for the gauges travel on a canbus cable(basicly 3 wires with their connector), they all can run off a daisy chain of these cables to the gauge(s). when I get the truck back I will post a small video of the gauges in action.

mr. anderson said:
the gauges are pretty sick, and unfortunately cost a little coin, since they all tie into what they call a sensor, basically a brainbox/hub, from there all the data for the gauges travel on a canbus cable(basicly 3 wires with their connector), they all can run off a daisy chain of these cables to the gauge(s). when I get the truck back I will post a small video of the gauges in action.

Kewl! Thanks...and my compliments to your dealership! Some try to be hard nosed...obviously someone was using their head when they agreed that this was warranty work.

yes, the man dealt with in the service dept has performance vehicles also, he said they try and use common sense on these things. as long as it doesn't appear to be caused by the modifications they will cover it. now I might have a problem if I went in there with a blown head gasket. but I wouldn't do that since I have the blower on there. I have increased the volumetric pressure so I may very well in the future blow a head gasket. which reminds me..... I should change out the head bolts to studs...... hmmm something else to buy. crapper. :D:D

While you have the heads off, add some diamond pistons and hell just for fun go to Oliver rods.:rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout:

Oh hell yes...and titanium push rods...we could go on forever!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back