Truck not starting in park.

JAYSSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in the truck today. And pressed the button to turn it on. Got nothing out of it so I put it in neutral and Boom fired right up. Has this happend to anybody? I had the tranny flushed and went through this weekend. Dont know if that had anything to do with it. Im also having some problems With the ABS light and brake light comming on and killing my power windows and speedomiter. Im thinking that might be a sensor somewere.

In older cars, you would have to wiggle the steering wheel a bit, this has to do with the steering wheel locked to the shifter. I don't have a QC, but that was the first thing that popped in my head, try wiggling the wheel next time?

My truck does that a lot, even after adjusting the linkage, just look at it as a theft deterrent. The ABS light sounds like the speed sensor from the differential, maybe its not adjusted right.

Happens to me all the time. Making sure the P is lit before turning her off is the only way I have found to be 100% sure she will start next time. Putting her in neutral always works. Guess next time I have her in the garage I'll have that looked at.

-jeff

That's a linkage issue Jay.....really common after taking the valve body out and the truck not shifting fully into park. There's more to it but I don't rememberthe details exactly but I had that issue after installing my hts valve body

Easy Fix guys!!

If you are familiar with how to adjust the cable for the TV(throttle valve) you can adjust the shifter linkage cable.

The adjustment is under the steering column inside the cab. Pull the lower cover off the steering column. Search out and find the gear selector cable. There is a white plastic clip that pulls out of the larger end of the shift cable. Gently remove the white clip. Put gear selector lever in park. Climb under truck and place transmission gear selector in park. Replace white clip & you're done.

Last edited:
Edited my post a bit to help you more. It's been awhile since I've done it and now being a stick I don't have to worry bout it anymore:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back