Truck running HOT after ECM change

dfauerbach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is running over 200 after I changed out my ECM with a stage II ECM, I also swaped out the thermostat with a 172 or 175 from boomer but it is running about 205 210 in traffic. any ideas?

dfauerbach said:
My truck is running over 200 after I changed out my ECM with a stage II ECM, I also swaped out the thermostat with a 172 or 175 from boomer but it is running about 205 210 in traffic. any ideas?

Whats the outside temp.??...Because mine runs around 205 in traffic in higher temps also....I'm not to bright about mechanical things, but thats my .02

Did you purge the air out of the thermostat housing after the thermostat change? There is a little valve on top of the thermostat housing you need to open to bleed the trapped air out.

Yeah that's whay I thought it was i bled it again when hot as well to make sure it was open and flowing. it ran cooler with the 185 in it.

at 85 air temp and running the piss out of my truck my oil temp will say about 180,,,, under normal driving it stays under 180

Note:

He stated in traffic, my truck will run up to 210 and then the fan will kick on and it will drop to 195! In Traffic!! On the highway it runs 185-190 steadily!!

I don't think you have a problem, unless your fan is not working!!

stick said:
at 85 air temp and running the piss out of my truck my oil temp will say about 180,,,, under normal driving it stays under 180

He is talking about water temp not oil.

SilvrSRT10 said:
Did you purge the air out of the thermostat housing after the thermostat change? There is a little valve on top of the thermostat housing you need to open to bleed the trapped air out.

do you just trun the valve(screw) with a socket or something of the like???

BurntRubber said:

the best thing is a small wrench , that way you can loosen it and watch the air come out at the same time.

dont trq it back down too tight, it will strip easily.

but on the subject, unless the pcm was flashed to kick the fan on earlier you will not see any change in temp, and yes possibly higher due to less fuel and more timing. some have put on auxillary fans to compensate for this

BurntRubber said:

Just wait till the real warm temps hit here in Phx....you'll wish your steering wheel was only 210 degree's much less oil or water temps!

dfauerbach said:

MINE DOES ABOUT THE SAME.I WOULD NOT WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT IT.
I BROUGHT UP THIS SAME TOPIC AFTER I PUT IN MT STAGE II AND 170 T-STAT.I THOUGHT SHE WOULD RUN COOLER,BUT T-STAT DID NOT MAKE MUCH DIFF.IN TRAFFIC THE TEMP IS RIGHT AT 200.ON THE HIGHWAY IT DOES SEEM TO STAY COOLER 180,190 RANGE.SHOULD NOT WORRY TOO MUCH.:rock:

Thanks guys for the feedback, I guess it's ok then on the highway its no problem just stop and go is when it hits the 205 210 range.

thanks for the info, you guys are always a help. Chuck I can't wait to hop into my truck after it has been sitting in the sun all day in August. My wife was just telling me how we needed a sauna, I said nope. Just park outside!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back