Truck wont take Fuel!

JeffBoyette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fill up every 4-5 days. When i fill up i click the handle so i dont have to hold it and check my oil and other fluids. As soon as i stepped away from the handle it clicked and stopped like it was full. I Squeezed the handle again and i heard it get higher and higher pitched till it stopped 2 seconds later. Like the fill neck wasnt letting fuel in the tank.

I thought it was a bad pump so i pulled forward to the next one. And it did the same thing. I squeezed the handle 10% and it still takes 2-3 seconds before it clicks.

I was able to put just a few bucks in it. I cranked the truck the gauge was low, and the computer said 40 miles, I pulled out the lot and when i hit divot before the highway the computer jumped to 78 miles and the gauge went up.

What the is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twice I filled the tank, and drove a few miles looked at gas gauge and it read empty, dte read 3 miles......:dontknow: my concern is, if the tank has fuel, and comm reads it doesn't is the truck gonna respond to the comm, or keep runnin...........:dontknow: never had the fueling problem you had with the pump turnin off....???...:dontknow:

You're not alone. This has happened to many of us. It will go away and only come back on rare occasions.

JeffBoyette said:
days later still not taking fuel..... any remedy?

Replace the roll over valve on top of the tank, or go find a good bumpy road. Mine got stuck and I just ran fast across some bumps and it came loose...

Any vendors got a price quote on a rollover check valve? Im not giving the dealership another dime.

BigRed460 said:
Replace the roll over valve on top of the tank, or go find a good bumpy road. Mine got stuck and I just ran fast across some bumps and it came loose...

I took a decent speed bump at speed, Still no go. Anyone have a pic of what im looking for. Ill take it off and see why it is siezing.

JeffBoyette said:
I took a decent speed bump at speed, Still no go. Anyone have a pic of what im looking for. Ill take it off and see why it is siezing.
I can get you a picture in the morning, but just follow the fill hose to the top of the tank, maybe try wiggling the fill hose its self. I think to take if you you will need to drop the tank, it only has 2 bolts holding it up.

the ball is designed to allow gas in but not out. mainly in case of a rollover. its spring loaded and sometimes just gets stuck. i know its a LONG process but try to SLOWLY trickle gas into it until you get what you think you need to fill it, if its that empty as you say about 22 gallons probably. then try your speed bump circus and see if that works. if you go to drop the tank be sure its as empty as you can so its light. should take no longer then a hour to drop it replace the part and reinstall. good luck

My truck is now doing the same thing.....Flooded the other day and I drove the truck home no problems in somewhat deep water (about the top of the tires) That was thursday and then Sunday went to put gas in and same thing as described here...few seconds and click, I moved pumps and did the same thing.....Yesterday I tried again to put fuel...It went a little better but still took a good 5 minutes just to reach $20...
Any solutions beside bump road? can I shove something down the fuel line to force it back open?

Aren't all roads in Miami like running over speed bumps? :D IF not, go find some R/R Tracks.

I took 20 min and filled it up. All the way till I could see fuel. Drove to a monster speed bump and hit it at 15mph. then poured Lucas upper cylinder lubricant in. Hasn't done it since. Not sure if it was speed bump with the ball floating or the oily Lucas greasing it up.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back