VALVE COVER/POWDERCOAT FIASCO!

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some of you remember i had issues with my powdercoating done by a local powdercoater on my valve covers (small bubbles caused by "outgassing").:( well.....powdercoater agreed to re-do them,and now has blasted a hole through one! (i'm thinking one of his new-hires did this). going to see him tommorow to "resolve" this issue, as he puts it. WTF?:mad: any way i look at this he owes me a set. i have paid for the powdercoating...now i have nothing! if he refuses to buy me a set and finish what he started, shouldn't i at the very least get my money back for the powdercoating?(if that is the case i'm taking my business elsewhere and he will never get a recomendation from me, and ive' actually drummed up some business for him over the last year). i know a lot of you are going to say i should have gone with justin (JMB),but wanted to give this small town guy a chance. we will see what happens.oh..... i need a set of valve covers,anybody?:argh:

I commend you for supporting local business''s Sanchoba:rock: :rock: :rock:

there are a ton of great powder coaters out there ,and local to most, I have a guy here in town that is jsut tops, and really appreciate his buisiness, really takes pride in his work:rock: :rock:

but he does owe you at least a replacement valvecover, at the very least, he damaged it, he should replace it.

Justins Pop is one of the best I have ever seen:rock: :rock: and he too takes a ton of pride in his work:rock: :rock: plus he is a super nice guy:D

but go talk with him, and jsut let him give you details on what he wants to do, then give him yours, if he doesnt want to replace..............then hit him with a bat until he does:p

I would be shocked if you dont get new ones without any hesitation from him. I doubt you would have given him business unless he was somewhat reputable. I would be willing to bet you may even end up with a discount...he cant afford to lose business in this market

What the hell did he blast that thing with???
I hope that he is a stand up guy and makes good on this for you!!!

I have used a local person as well,and went to see him about some more things,and his shop is closed !! Damn it !!!:rock: I too believe in helping out the locals provided the work is quality !!! But at least you know where you can definitely go and get what you're looking for !!!And yes,he should be replacing your Valve Cover !!!

Definitely owes you a set....at the very least...if you paid by CC cancel the transaction! If not he should offer to offset it in some way..like more free powder coating! Also just let him know, as I'm sure you will, that if he fixes it more business will becoming his way, if not he just lost lot's of future business!

i talked to him this morning...said he would make it right.
this is what he was blasting with:dontknow: he was taking off his initial powdercoating....
GRAYSTAR LLC.
ALUMINUM OXIDE
BROWN
MULTI-GRIT
C-E MINERALS

Attachments

• covers and boat 007 1200.jpg
    covers and boat 007 1200.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 140
  • covers and boat 0081200.jpg
    covers and boat 0081200.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
SANCHOBA said:
i talked to him this morning...said he would make it right.
this is what he was blasting with:dontknow: he was taking off his initial powdercoating....
GRAYSTAR LLC.
ALUMINUM OXIDE
BROWN
MULTI-GRIT
C-E MINERALS

Even without the hole in it, the rest of the cover looks terrible. Uneven sanding made a mess out of that!

I hope he makes it right!

thank goodness for him making it right bud, but with a sand casted valve cover things like that can happen if the person isnt carefull which is painfully evident:eek:

but at least he is stand up about it an gonna make it right for ya:rock:

In a perfect world u wannah find a guy using soda.

Otherwise have a guy that uses sand collect all of his scrap/used sand that has paint n such in it. This makes for a less abrasive media than the straight out of the bucket new stuff he may use.

That is what i did. We actually had to blast twice to get the wheels done right.

SHU

SHU-DOG said:
In a perfect world u wannah find a guy using soda.

Otherwise have a guy that uses sand collect all of his scrap/used sand that has paint n such in it. This makes for a less abrasive media than the straight out of the bucket new stuff he may use.

That is what i did. We actually had to blast twice to get the wheels done right.

SHU
What is wrong with crushed walnut shells?? been using it as a medium for years on pistons and other aluminum parts also to strip paint from cabinets
A very safe medium

ntw0rk said:
Even without the hole in it, the rest of the cover looks terrible. Uneven sanding made a mess out of that!
yeah... i noticed it too,maybe a bad casting? he puts a powdercoat primer on and he says it evens it out
any ways thanks to earl, (BRAT) i'm getting another set of covers:rock:

includemeout said:
What is wrong with crushed walnut shells?? been using it as a medium for years on pistons and other aluminum parts also to strip paint from cabinets
A very safe medium

I'm glad somebody said that. There's also corn cobs, and plastic abrasive media for stripping softer metals. I looked at that mess and immediately thought this guy was using something way too aggressive. I made this mistake myself. Aluminum oxide is very hard and very sharp but also very cheap. On cast iron or steel, that blasting media might be OK. But on the relatively softer aluminum? Um...no. The idea is to keep it idiot proof and use a media that's as soft or softer than the underlying material even if it takes a bit more time to strip the coating. I'm almost sure that the media he used is what caused the horrible finish, not the casting. At least that's what it looks like to me. Even if the tech has to go to the expense of using walnut shells and a little extra time to blast those covers the right way, it's less costly than buying you a new set and the bad rep he just got.

</rant>

Once bitten is always enough for me.

Have him get you new valve covers and send them to JMB...no sense in going back where you have evidence of problems. Just my opinion...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back