Valve train question

Chingp40hands

Reaction score
Hey guys new here .finally got my project srt10 running had the transmission rebuilt and finally got to ride the truck after month of waiting. And I've noticed the valve train is pretty loud not to loud but you can hear it more then any other regular engine is this normal with this viper engine?? Only 39k miles recent tune up also.

It is very normal. If you want it to get better, buy gen2 viper lifters.

15-50W helps alot...! Alot of that noise are the injectors to, so it wont go away all together...!

thanks for the quick replys guys. i guess ill have to try out the 15-50. i guess i just need to get used to it haha. was kind of nervous once i first heard it.

Hey guys new here .finally got my project srt10 running had the transmission rebuilt and finally got to ride the truck after month of waiting. And I've noticed the valve train is pretty loud not to loud but you can hear it more then any other regular engine is this normal with this viper engine?? Only 39k miles recent tune up also.

The lifters collapse at idle so the camshaft appears smaller to the engine.
It was a tactic used so the Gen III could pass emission testing prior to going on sale. I.O.W., the clatter is normal.

As mentioned, a heavier oil like a 10-x or a 15-X will also reduce clatter by increasing oil pressure, if it bugs you.

You can also change the relief spring in the oil pump to increase pressure. If you do that, I'd recommend the 1-piece shuttle system that's available.

Last edited:
Valvetrain noise

I like it too. Kind of reminds me of my solid lifter sbc from way back when.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back