Valvetrain/lifter noise

srtaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I apologize for the bombardment of questions but I've got another one.

I've been very conscious of listening for wierd noises since i picked the truck up last week. Today, on my way to work, i thought that I heard a little valve/lifter tap.

When i got home today i checked the oil level and it looks fine. The oil is clean and is filled to the correct level. I really don't have enough of a reference to determine whether the noise has gotten worse or if its always been that way and I'm just hearing it today.

The question: Do our trucks make a little bit of valvetrain noise? Especially for you guys that spend a lot of time under the hood, is that what you have noticed?

thanks again...

standard, a lot of lifters and rockers arms under those valve covers, get used to it

I think all is normal, but the front right cylinder (#2) seems like its louder than the rest.

Has anyone every had to readjust the rockers?

I have the same thing it bugs me is there any thaing i can do to make the noice go away

fuel rich

srtaggie said:
Guys, I apologize for the bombardment of questions but I've got another one.

I've been very conscious of listening for wierd noises since i picked the truck up last week. Today, on my way to work, i thought that I heard a little valve/lifter tap.

When i got home today i checked the oil level and it looks fine. The oil is clean and is filled to the correct level. I really don't have enough of a reference to determine whether the noise has gotten worse or if its always been that way and I'm just hearing it today.

The question: Do our trucks make a little bit of valvetrain noise? Especially for you guys that spend a lot of time under the hood, is that what you have noticed?

thanks again...

Nope no clacketty clack here. What kind of fuel you running? I am always 93 or above octane.

Speed Racer said:
Nope no clacketty clack here. What kind of fuel you running? I am always 93 or above octane.

I would worry more about your engine (or your hearing;) :D ) not making any noise than Aggie's making noise.

I have never heard a quite one when they are hot.

turn the stereo up and dont worry about it.I quit a long time ago.Alot of chit going on under them valve covers!

Always 93 octane. Its not a knocking sound, definitely more like a busy valve train doing its thang i guess.

I'm off to the dyno on thursday. I'll be sure to post my numbers.

I've got the full mopar system from the headers to the tip...and no cats. I'm pretty pumped.

you will always get valve train noise from the Viper engine-of ANY generation. the ONLY way it will go away is to install a set of roller rockers and chromoly pushrods. the factory rockers are just stamped steel, and their clearances are all over the place, and the warmer they get,the more friction is created, and then the tolerances get wider and more noise is made.
one of the most common things we do in the shop right now is to install a set of roller rockers and set the geometry up when we do them (correct pushrods length/ and proper preload on the rocker adjuster).
we keep rockers in stock and various lengths of pushrods, just because when a customer comes by, and hears a Viper engine that we have installed them in, they are sold on the spot.
it makes the engine DEADNUTS quiet, and run SO much smoother, and more consistent. no more clicks and clatters and we see a 15hp to the rear tire improvement too. the stock valve train is the same setup as an old Dodge engine from 30 years ago. its VERY primitive, and roller rockers allow it to run the way it should.
doing this is one of the BEST upgrades you can do to a Viper engine

Last edited:
batman.jpg

Yep.. just like everyone else said... mine is fairly quiet on startup but once its hot its noisy... its actually fooled me several times... until I got used to the noise, and learned that it was just the nature of these engines...

BOOMER said:
you will always get valve train noise from the Viper engine-of ANY generation. the ONLY way it will go away is to install a set of roller rockers and chromoly pushrods. the factory rockers are just stamped steel, and their clearances are all over the place, and the warmer they get,the more friction is created, and then the tolerances get wider and more noise is made.
one of the most common things we do in the shop right now is to install a set of roller rockers and set the geometry up when we do them (correct pushrods length/ and proper preload on the rocker adjuster).
we keep rockers in stock and various lengths of pushrods, just because when a customer comes by, and hears a Viper engine that we have installed them in, they are sold on the spot.
it makes the engine DEADNUTS quiet, and run SO much smoother, and more consistent. no more clicks and clatters and we see a 15hp to the rear tire improvement too. the stock valve train is the same setup as an old Dodge engine from 30 years ago. its VERY primitive, and roller rockers allow it to run the way it should.

Sounds good, really good but how many unborn children is this going to cost someone like me?:dontknow: :p

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
Sounds good, really good but how many unborn children is this going to cost someone like me?:dontknow: :p
1500 parts for rockers and pushrods. 890 for billet valve covers needed for the clearance. or we can do a combo package for 2200 for the entire setup.

BOOMER said:

Man, that sounds sweet. Do you have to do the valve covers? I though i saw some valve cover spacers on another site. Do you have any experience with those, or have any?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back