Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone here has already done this, but WTF here goes.:D
I ordered this key and key fob cover online:
key4.jpg

First i cut open an extra key i ordered from Dodge to get the chip out:
key3.jpg

key2.jpg

Then i very carefully drilled a small hole on the steering column cover behind the wheel so when the wheel is straight you can not see it:
key1.jpg

Then i inserted the chip into a small rubber grommet that fit the chip VERY tightly, placed a TINY drop of crazy glue on the end of the chip to be sure it wont come loose from the grommet, and placed the grommet into the hole. It is easy to remove it if i have to park the truck somewhere, so the truck is just as secure as with the stock key, and it is out of sight when driving or when wheel is in center position.
key.jpg

mr. anderson said:
why didn't you just put it in the remote?
It would not work unless it was VERY close to the ignition...any more than 1/2inch and the truck died after 2 seconds. Believe me i tried.

FastSRT19 said:
It would not work unless it was VERY close to the ignition...any more than 1/2inch and the truck died after 2 seconds. Believe me i tried.

Great info... I might try something like this myself. Nice pics too!
:rock: :rock:

The keys are on ebay along with the fob covers...got em both for under 25 bucks

Great looking mod....mmmm....something else to ponder doing. Good thing it, it's cheap. Thank you for the post and pictures.

Any chance of getting a close up of the grommet and chip as they are installed (with the wheel turned to get a good view of it)? I just bought two Viper keys on ebay. :D

thanks,
Jim

Do you think instead of drilling you could just silicone it inside the column. I need another set of keys so i figure this is the cheaper way to go because the dealer quoted me 180 for a single set. This mod is great by the way because if you want more then 1 key it wont cost you a fortune you just need one chip.

Last edited:
I'd say it might work, you just need to take the shroud off and find a spot that works consistently (trial and error), I tried it on my 06 qc and it was real finicky it had to be pointed at the lock or else it wouldnt go.

another question....is it mounted laying flat on the spot it was drilled or is it straight in. Idk if i am describing this correctly. Basically what I am asking is when you install the chip in the grommet which direction should it face, inward or lay it flat. I do understand one end must face the lock.

Last edited:
mgwarrior350 said:
Do you think instead of drilling you could just silicone it inside the column. I need another set of keys so i figure this is the cheaper way to go because the dealer quoted me 180 for a single set. This mod is great by the way because if you want more then 1 key it wont cost you a fortune you just need one chip.
Just an fyi... I called a local locksmith and they had a key made and programmed for me for only $70.

mgwarrior350 said:
another question....is it mounted laying flat on the spot it was drilled or is it straight in. Idk if i am describing this correctly. Basically what I am asking is when you install the chip in the grommet which direction should it face, inward or lay it flat. I do understand one end must face the lock.
i just super glued my chip to the the plastic in the same spot, it's so small you don't notice it and its been like that for 2 years now.

U tried affixing UT to my steering column, but the truck wouldn't stay running...plus, this way, i can pull out the grommet and chip when I park

Does anyone know where to get the head viper head key because i can only find the blue on ebay.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back