Wax preference

For the initial waxing and cleaning apolishing.

101) Remove any swirl marks, scratches (ie polish out carefully) with a good quality polish/glaze, use a fine foam pad at very low speed on a buffer.

1) I use a combination of Mcguires Gold Class mixed 50/50 with Auto Magic Awsome Gloss.

2) Then clay the vehicle.

3) Then use the McGuires Awsome gloss again.

4) If I feel real ambitious at the end I use a pure carnuba paste wax for the shine. Buffed off with a lambs woll pad. Creates a really deep shine.

Then all that is required is a once a month or so quickie with the McGuires/Awsome gloss. And claying as necessary.

PaddyOBrian said:
A very good friend of mine runs a detailing business and he as well as others I've met say that washing your car with dishwashing soap is bad news. I don't buy anything from him so I trust that opinion.

He does detailing work for a lot of professional athletes as well as other high-roller types in the DFW area. I think that says a lot.

He's not the first to tell me that.

Correct statement with the dish soap... is it will strip off waxes and polishes due to it's PH conflict with them. Use a good car wash detergent, and at the correct concentration, and you will be fine.

For the product's that I have been using... after testing multiple product's over the years, these seemed to work the best for me.

Exterior paint.... Meguires NXT Liquid (I used to use Zaino but on silver, I never pulled any more depth out of it, and the NXT last's longer)

Exterior trim, plastic and tires.... Turtle Wax Ice

Interior plastic and leather cleaner... Tuff Stuff

Leather Conditioner ... Lexol

Window Cleaner ... Windex (Non-Ammonia)

and for my clay bar secret....

1 - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze C2000 - Overspray Clay Bar
1 - Clay Magic Bar
1 - Meguires Gold Class Bar

Mix them in equal parts to create a green bar.
This bar makes the process easier, pulls more BS out of the surface with less effort, and leaves an incredibly smooth finish on your ride after your done waxing.... I believe a better finish than any one bar on it's own. I have been using this mix for many years, and on many vehicles.

Hope it helps.

PaddyOBrian said:
A very good friend of mine runs a detailing business and he as well as others I've met say that washing your car with dishwashing soap is bad news. .......

You are absolutely correct.... except for one instance. You should use (regular Dawn) dish soap to wash your car/truck immediately before applying a NEW BASE wax. The (Dawn) dish soap, as NBT states, will remove all of the old wax and polish from the vehicle's surface. This will give you a "clean slate" to start with a clay bar. Also, will help the new products (that we have been discussing here) "stick" to the surface. This will allow the new wax/polish to have a deeper shine and also make the shine last longer. :)

One tid-bit of advice, though.... DO NOT (under any f*cking circumstances) wash your vehicle w/ dish soap in DIRECT sunlight. ;)

i thought the clay bar pulled wax off the truck too. i use dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the wax then claybar it , after that i use a good truck wash soap so as to not strip the wax back off the truck.

PaddyOBrian said:
A very good friend of mine runs a detailing business and he as well as others I've met say that washing your car with dishwashing soap is bad news. I don't buy anything from him so I trust that opinion.

He does detailing work for a lot of professional athletes as well as other high-roller types in the DFW area. I think that says a lot.

He's not the first to tell me that.

My spousal unit is the lead scientist for a chemistry firm...they have all kinds of r&d issues with cleaning everything from circuit boards to space shuttle parts...she verifies that dish washing detergent will strip everything from your car to include all of the things that protect your paint. They often resort to dish washing detergent in very difficult situations...not to be used on your vehicle if you want your paint to be healthy.

Shining Monkey best waxes i have ever used. I have tried eveything and i love this stuff. My 3 vehicles are black. This stuff makes the finish look very deep.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back