Weird noise

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
Well of course my new truck has a problem, I used the search feature, but found a few things it could be I was hoping you guys could help me figure it out.

I test drove the truck last Friday and it ran like it was brand new, brought it home still ran amazing. Well yesterday morning I noticed a belt squealing noise leaving the neighborhood I turned down the radio and shut off the A/C and it was loud till about 3 minutes into the drive and it went away. When I came back home, popped the hood to see and no sounds, no nothing. A few hours later I drove to the supermarket and leaving the neighborhood it did it again and once it got warm it disappeared. So I came on here started looking around to find out what it could be. This morning I walked out to the truck turned it on and waited for it to make noise, nothing happened then it came on and the belt started squealing let it warm up boom it's gone?

The only thing that's changed from all week till yesterday, it's been pouring down rain? Anyone have any ideas?

Check the crank pulley,On the 04 there was a problem with the bolt backing out.Also some have had problems with the tensioner freezing up,Replace the belt.Just a few things to look at.:D

Check the crank pulley,On the 04 there was a problem with the bolt backing out.Also some have had problems with the tensioner freezing up,Replace the belt.Just a few things to look at.:D

Mine slips a decent amount after I have washed it or if I am unfortunate enough to have to drive in the rain. The hood scoops have an awesome design that drops water straight on the belt. Also, watch for kittens lol. A guy with a chrysler 300 was broke down at a gas station I stopped at and he had a kitten wrapped uo in his belt.

I checked pulleys and everything seems to be fine, I'm gonna wait for the rain to stop and see if that will kill the noise if not, gonna change the belt next

It is the rain. You can replace the belt but you may as well get used to it.
Rain and wash day!!

yep.

had the same prob.

changed out idler, tensinor pulleys & new belt. no mo squeakin:rock::rock:

Most likely this is what it is dang it....

Hopefully when it stops raining it will go away but here's to dreamin :chain:

Hate to double post but.... on the 8.3L what pulley is the idler pulley?

Mine was the power steering pump pulley. Replaced both idler and tensioner pulleys and still squealed. Course that required a new power steering pump.

part # is 4792581AB and there is a bushing for the pulley i would rec to repalce as well part # is 33002201.

Ha I already have the part I meant looking at the motor which one is it?

idler should be the smooth one. bout center of the engine, up high

idler should be the smooth one. bout center of the engine, up high

Thank you fine sir, I figured it was that one but my look I would have messed that up lol

Took off the Volant which was installed incorrectly anyways(that's another story) so I could get a closer look and change out the parts. All the pulleys looked good so I took off the belt and it was covered in this wax-like, polishy stuff. No joke I was able to take my fingers run it down my belt and have a build up of this wax like substance? I think maybe it was something the dealer put on the engine to shine it up? I dunno but I cleaned the pulleys and entire engine bay put the new belt on and boom no more squeal?

P.S everyone kept saying the belt was a b**ch to get off? I had no problem at all. The Volant CAI was another story entirely someone put that thing on wrong!

Anyone know if there is a K&N filter that will fit in the Volant CAI?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back