Hey folks, i've been really really seriously thinking this over and i would
really like to learn how to weld metal.. Now i don't know anything about
this stuff so could someone set me on the right path? ie: links, types of
welders i should try/buy etc etc.. After a bit of practice i would like to try
to weld a bung onto my exhaust pipe so hopefully that might limit the
amount of power i would need from a welding unit? :dontknow: :D hahah

Thanks,

Andrew

Check any jr. college in your area...they will have basic courses for low cost.

Sharpimage said:
Hey folks, i've been really really seriously thinking this over and i would
really like to learn how to weld metal.. Now i don't know anything about
this stuff so could someone set me on the right path? ie: links, types of
welders i should try/buy etc etc.. After a bit of practice i would like to try
to weld a bung onto my exhaust pipe so hopefully that might limit the
amount of power i would need from a welding unit? :dontknow: :D hahah

Thanks,

Andrew
easiest thing if your not looking to weld thick metal is get a wire welder. simple to do get some thin angle iron or thin plate and play with it. get a small torch too so you can cut it apart and weld it back together. harbor freight tools has some good deals on welders.

Wish I lived closer:(

Personally I've always used Miller stuff as far as equipment goes;)

Prof said:
Check any jr. college in your area...they will have basic courses for low cost.
Or tech college. Some even offer evening classes. You'll learn stuff a lot faster from someone with experience training you. You can learn by trial and error but it takes a lot longer. Wire feed welder with an argon shield works great and not too expensive.

i would vote for some classes also.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Sharpimage said:

I'm not a big fan of these. Some people use them very well but I just not a fan. I like the gas mig welders (big bucks $$$) or a good stick welder. The sticks are messier but if you need to do something thick once in a while you are good to go. And you can buy smaller rods to do the small stuff ike your bung in exhaust pipe.

ShaneKennett said:
I'm not a big fan of these. Some people use them very well but I just not a fan. I like the gas mig welders (big bucks $$$) or a good stick welder. The sticks are messier but if you need to do something thick once in a while you are good to go. And you can buy smaller rods to do the small stuff ike your bung in exhaust pipe.
I believe that was a MIG welder he showed in his link. I think all he would have to do is get an argon tank and regulator and he'd be good to go. He could also use the flux wire wire just as it is without the tank. But you are correct that it is good to have a stick welder too. I have done some stuff the MIG just wasn't doing well with so I switched to the stick. You do have to knock off all the slag that a stick welder makes but it does the job.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I believe that was a MIG welder he showed in his link. I think all he would have to do is get an argon tank and regulator and he'd be good to go. He could also use the flux wire wire just as it is without the tank. But you are correct that it is good to have a stick welder too. I have done some stuff the MIG just wasn't doing well with so I switched to the stick. You do have to knock off all the slag that a stick welder makes but it does the job.

Oh and the other thing I love about my stick is it will weld through just about anything. I hardley ever have to clean the area up. It almost always starts and when it goes it just doesn't stop. Those wire fed one's he showed I always had them stopping and popping if the surface wasn't super clean

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back