What questions should I ask a seller?

5th_line_heavy

Reaction score
Am in the market for one of these great trucks, and have found a couple possibilities (an '04 and an '05). Can you guys give me a brief education on what I should be asking the sellers; and what I should be looking for once I actually see the trucks in person.

Thanks very much,
Bo

Hey Bo...ask about mods....your question made me think about how different my truck is from the one in the owner's manual....the master/slave cyl....this would be WTF??....if the truck has a stage 2 PCM then future mods would have to work with it........of course you need to check service record and look for signs of past damage....

5th_line_heavy said:
Am in the market for one of these great trucks, and have found a couple possibilities (an '04 and an '05). Can you guys give me a brief education on what I should be asking the sellers; and what I should be looking for once I actually see the trucks in person.

Thanks very much,
Bo

One thing you need to really do is make sure it has not been in an accident. Get a car fax report on it, and take a good look at it. If I wear you I would look at a stock truck, every sellers is going to try and sell all the great mods they made to it. You need to be the one that makes the mods so you know what you are doing.

Just my opinion. Good luck and hope you get a gem.

-jeff

i would look hard for signs of heavy mod work ,,,look under hood for signs on bolt heads on intake manifold exhaust manifold bolts,,that have been removed,,and reinstalled,,
had friend bought a truck that looked great ,but it had a super charger on it that was removed and put back to stock,,,it was beat to death ,,motor needed overhauling after he had it 6 months ,,

belgiumbarry said:
if it's a black 04 .... it's OK.:p :D :D :D :D :D

:rock: :rock: :rock:

The seller can say about anything they think will sell the vehicle.

A couple of questions that might be helpful:

1. What problems have you had repaired?

2. Have you had to repair any part or system more than once?

3. Has this vehicle been in any accidents?

4. Do you have all service records?

5. What repair facility have you used?

6. Have you disclosed to me all known problems with this vehicle?

Do a Carfax search. If you have any suspicions have an oil analysis performed.

But the bottom line becomes...buyer beware.

Good luck! And drive it like you stole it!

Last edited:
ask im if he ever took to the track ,,,if he says yes he beats it lol:dontknow:

Before I bought my 06 (brand new vehicle bought last month :D ), I ran carfax reports on the used SRT-10's I was interested in. I found one vehicle, a silver 05 that had been registered in 3 states and had 4 owner history's -- all within a 2-1/4 year period. That in itself tells ya something. I found another 05 RC that appeared to have been used (a lot) for towing :dontknow: Also, be careful with carfax reports -- if the vehicle registry changed different states (e.g. 3 - 4 times, plus), a record of a reconstructed title may be lost. Look for reconstructive work, signs of frame straightening, paint over spray, mis-aligned body panels, etc. Mechanically, drive it. There should be no abnormal knocks, pings, grinding, etc. As far as mods go (including those that come with the vehicle or ones that may have been removed), the seller may come forward with full disclosure -- maybe not. Depends on how quickly he wants to unload the vehicle.

If you find something you like and have your heart set on it, you may want to obtain a third party inspection service to give the vehicle a once over -- it may be well worth a couple of hundred dollars and may save tons of cash in the future. Also, another set of eyes never hurts when trying to find potential problems. Last piece of advice, try and find a one owner vehicle that has some of its factory (3/36) warranty left -- this may save your wallet in the short term. And if the 3/36 warranty is still valid, you may be able to purchase extended coverage, if you want it :dontknow: Good Luck and when you buy, Post up some pics.

I have an 04 for you that is in perfect condition...only 3700 miles, all work done by same person (x-metal)...make an offer and it's yours...
supercharged, mopar headers, lowered, etc, etc, etc....
trucksmall.jpg

burnout12.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back