what types of synthetic oils to use

dcrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering what type of synthetics to use in my transmission,motor and rear diff?

Transmission -
  • Mobil 1 ATF
  • Syncromesh (Pennzoil, Valvoline, others)
  • GM Synchromesh (p/n#12345349)
  • Red Line ATF D4
  • Honda ATF-Z1
  • Royal Purple Synchromax
  • Amsoil ATF
  • O’Reilly Dexron III ATF
I personally have tried the mobil 1 and syncromesh (from autozone), and both work great!

dcrow said:
just wondering what type of synthetics to use in my transmission,motor and rear diff?
He already mentioned the possible tranny fluids.
Rear diff I have AMSOIL 75W-140. Suncoast recommended it. Doesn't need anti-knock (AMSOIL), but I added it anyhow.

Amsoil all the way. I did a complete flush. A little pricey but I think it's well worth it.

I'm ready to drop the oil in my engine, I have used the Royal Purple before in other engines with great success, which grade is recommended for our Vipe motors?

i have never heard of royal purple, what is it and what does it help? just wondering

Royal Purple seemed to drop my engine temps about 3-4 degrees if that makes any sense at all....

Summit carries it.

I have been using Royal Purple (RP) in my vehicles for the past 6 years. I first tried it in the 01 Dakota I had. I was running Mobil 1 synthetic and switched to RP. Engine temp dropped (better lubricity = less friction) and I gained 1.5mpg by switching to RP. I have it in my wife's SRT4, and my SRT10. The SRT10 oil temp rarely runs over 180 in the summer, even when I am driving it hard.

You can buy it from Napa, O'Reilly's, Summit, Jegs, and I am sure there are a couple I missed. I won't use anything else in my SRT's. Mobil 1 would be a good second choice.

-Muzzy

mopower1958 said:
10w-30 Mobil 1 is what the owners manual says.
Hmmm, for some reason I think mine says 0w-40... Let me go check...

if i could find it they did a test of several popular oils and royal purple and Amsoil got way up top, i use amsoil personally if you buy in bulk from there main site u get good discounts. just use 10w 30 amsoil syn.

Amsoil 20W-50 for the hot a$$ weather here in Texas......:star:

Been using it for about 8 years now......no worries.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back