What was in my tranny!?

Doaner

Reaction score
I just purchased an '06 RC with 47k miles. I've been going through fluid changes all around as time allows and just got done with the transmission.

I've read tons of posts from you guys on how Dodge basically put gear oil and that Tremec instead recommends synthetic ATF. So I picked up 4 quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF and went to work.

I was expecting more of a sludge to come out of the drain plug but the stuff looked basically like drilling mud. The consistency was not dissimilar from the Royal Purple Max ATF I replaced it with; it was just dirty, maybe slightly thicker - all-in-all had a light brown color (like watery mud) and some, but little, transparency.

I'm the 3rd owner; the first sold it at 7k miles and I bought it 47k. Just curious as to what might have been run in this thing for 40k miles. Could gear oil break down to that point in 8 years? Guess its more likely that they read the same forums and changed it out; just not sure how long ago. How quickly can the ATF get that dirty??

I used RedLine D4 Syn ATF, the Tremec manual recommends ATF..........Will be louder gear noise.

I just purchased an '06 RC with 47k miles. I've been going through fluid changes all around as time allows and just got done with the transmission.

I've read tons of posts from you guys on how Dodge basically put gear oil and that Tremec instead recommends synthetic ATF. So I picked up 4 quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF and went to work.

I was expecting more of a sludge to come out of the drain plug but the stuff looked basically like drilling mud. The consistency was not dissimilar from the Royal Purple Max ATF I replaced it with; it was just dirty, maybe slightly thicker - all-in-all had a light brown color (like watery mud) and some, but little, transparency.

I'm the 3rd owner; the first sold it at 7k miles and I bought it 47k. Just curious as to what might have been run in this thing for 40k miles. Could gear oil break down to that point in 8 years? Guess its more likely that they read the same forums and changed it out; just not sure how long ago. How quickly can the ATF get that dirty??

Your description sounds to me like the fluid experienced water contamination. Was there any abnormal noise from the transmission? If not run it with the new fluid and listen to see if it is trying to tell you there is further damage.

I have a 2004 RC, when I drained mine it was a clear fluid like water only a little heavier in viscosity. I bought my truck new. I put in Mobil 1 ATF fluid.

The factory Castrol Syntorq was a thicker oil and had a slight thinner consistency with rear end gear oil. Smells much the same as well. It's problem is its too thick when cold and makes for a notchy, slow, and rough shift. Not as in noisy, clashing rough, but rather not a fluent, smooth gear change until warmed up or summer weather. The ATF starts out smoother in winter and ever moreso in the summer and/or racing conditions where a smooth, quick shift is desired.
I personally believe its like motor oil, thermostats, and other items designed to be a happy medium in all climates vehicles will be sold in.

The factory Castrol Syntorq was a thicker oil and had a slight thinner consistency with rear end gear oil. Smells much the same as well. It's problem is its too thick when cold and makes for a notchy, slow, and rough shift. Not as in noisy, clashing rough, but rather not a fluent, smooth gear change until warmed up or summer weather. The ATF starts out smoother in winter and ever moreso in the summer and/or racing conditions where a smooth, quick shift is desired.
I personally believe its like motor oil, thermostats, and other items designed to be a happy medium in all climates vehicles will be sold in.

You pretty well summed up how it's been shifting. The only obvious damage when driving is the reverse synchro - all but shot; as long as I let engine torque without throttle back it up it won't grind/bounce out of gear. The other gears are OK, just sloppy and unnatural as you described.

Hopefully it will recover, even if only slightly, with the ATF.

Make sure to bleed your clutch hydraulics as well and ensure reservoir is full.

These clutch hydraulics cause several issues that seem like clutch/transmission issues. Definitely make sure you do this as Scott said.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back