Wheel Bearing???

outnumbered

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has developed a roar; similar to that of what the tires make on a 4x4. I'm assuming its a wheel bearing (left front). Has anyone had to replace the bearing? Can it be purchased anywhere, and can I do it in my garage with average tools?

i have only seen them as a hub assembly.

Did a search and found that others that have replaced the hub/bearing were actually getting a high pitched sound. Is that the sound that a bearing typically makes before it goes bad? I'm thinking now the roar that I have may be something completely differrent.

Just had my passenger side replaced. Had to replace the wheel hub assembly. Part was around $200. I didn't even notice there was something wrong until I saw how much play there was once it was on a lift.

If you get one, make sure you get the right part. I had to order it 3 times before the right one came. Make sure it has the ABS sensor on it.

that does sound like it the wheel bearing. While driving the truck try swerving left to right and see if the noise get louder and quieter.. What this does is load and unload the bearing.. this will also help you determine which side is doing it

I just had both replaced on my Dakota. Took the service guy for a drive and when the noise started at about 45-50 Mph he had me swerve lightly from side to side as mentioned here already. The noise varied with the movement and since it was warranty they just replaced both. If the noise had not varied it would have been my front diff. The 2 sound very similar as they go bad.
I had 32,300 Kms which is about 20,000 miles.
It is a whole sealed hub assembly, I don't think they are too hard too change if you have the tools.

Last edited:
The way i test it and it works 90% of the time is if you turn left and the noise goes away its the right bearing and if you turn right and the noise goes away its the left bearing. My SRT was had both done under warranty there was a recall. some bearing left the manufacture without being greased.

GADodgetech said:
Its extremely simple ron, let me know if you need any help. Just a hop skip and a jump away :D

Thanks Brandon. However, if this is under warranty, I'm calling my dealer this morning!

I had to do mine on my 05QC. It was my front right wheel bearing. U buy it as an assembly and i think it was just over 100 bucks. You remove like 3-4 bolts from the back then there is one screw on top of the assembly the hold the bearing sensor to the assembly. Really really easy.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back