Wheel cleaning solutions?

SRTINCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter wasn't kind to the inside of my wheels. The wheel cleaner I use does a great job on the outer wheel, but even with a variety of nylon scrubbing pads and dish brushes I can hardly put a dent in the dirt specs on the inner wheel that's built up over the past few months. Ticked off because they were spotless before winter.

Anyone have a tried and true solution for getting the pitted dirt out of the inner wheels? I have polished wheels so I know I need to be cautious to prevent damaging the clearcoat.

I used "Mean Green" spray cleaner. But I'm in Florida so the winter doesn't effect me. I just had brake dust on the inner lip. I scrubbed them with a scrub pad and pressure washed them clean. Good Luck.

I use that spray brake dust cleaner, gentle abrasive pad, hot water soap rinse, small hands (wife) will help. Thourough rinse again. Even does a pretty good job on the red calipers.

Jim

The pitting of the aluminum on the inside of the wheels is tough to get out.

I'm still working on finding a product/process that will clean 'em up, and protect them against future pitting.

Chunk those stock brake pads out:eek: I finally did and no brake dust now:rock:

cobraken said:
Different brake pads & a thorough cleaning after EVERY drive.
Cool. You gonna pay for my pit crew? LOL
It's a little more difficult with a daily driver.

The OEM brake pads are dusty because they're designed for road racing. Extreme high performance pads are ALWAYS dusty.
Lower dust pads will also give you a little less bite than the stockers, but keep your wheels cleaner, longer.
It's a trade-off.

I have the same prob,the previous owner never cleaned the inside of the rims,I think ever!! I am thinking "sand paper"?? What ya all think??

Yellow venom 366 said:
I have the same prob,the previous owner never cleaned the inside of the rims,I think ever!! I am thinking "sand paper"?? What ya all think??
I have heard of some people using 600-800 grit sand paper on their rims. I have yet to find anything to get those pits out either. You can't really see them as you walk by, but I know they are there after I clean the inside up.:(

Yellow venom 366 said:
That'll probably take off the high spots, and smooth out the aluminum, but it won't stop the pitting from continuing or spreading.

Pitting is a chemical process within the aluminum.

I'm thinking of getting the backside of the rim powdercoated silver..then cleaning should be easy:dontknow:

FastSRT19 said:
I'm thinking of getting the backside of the rim powdercoated silver..then cleaning should be easy:dontknow:

Thats kinda what I was thinking,sand them out then powdercoat them,but I am thinking to go yellow to match truck,just on the inside?:dontknow: Should look ok? What ya think??:rock:

Try Wenol. I found this stuff to work very well. It should clean out all the black crud buildup. But, it won't prevent future pitting.

sanding would take the clear coat off i would think, a strong de greaser will take the stuff off. im not talking about simple green or wal mart type stuff. if you can find a company that services car washes they will have concentrated de greasers. we get it from rushing enterprises in headland,al they sell it in 55 gal drums but we buy it in bulk for our truck wash. its strong enough to pull the paint off the calipers if you leave it on there long enough. break dust comes right off with a pressure washer. or hand wash if your not lazy. they may sell it in 5 gal buckets too. try his http://www.karchercommercial.com/showProductModels.aspx?areaID=19&typeID=50&seriesID=185

Yellow venom 366 said:
Thats kinda what I was thinking,sand them out then powdercoat them,but I am thinking to go yellow to match truck,just on the inside?:dontknow: Should look ok? What ya think??:rock:
Not sure how the yellow would look, could be nice!

tommorow look at my wheels they are spotless i drive my truck in all kinda of crap i use this stuff called wab engine/chassie degreaser its sold at the the big rig truck wash and i use a a green s.o.s pad on the inside intill they are clean then i rinse with clean soap and water. i always get asked dude why are your wheels so clean

youcan get outnumbered to clean it for you. you could eat off his brake calipers....lol i think he used his toothbruch to clean his

I have the perfect solution. I have seen the process and the end product and it is perfect...one time cost is about $800 including shipping.

http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/

The process is called Permastar they provide a written estimate and the turnaround is about two weeks.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back