wheres the thermostat ?

solsir4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing a 170 degree thermostat and stage 2 dg flash . I assumed the thermostat would be right where the radiator hose goes into the engine . I now assume that the thermostat is inside of the water pump ? That thing does not look easy to get out . Any help would be appreciated , i am just an amateur thinking it would take twenty minutes to do everything ...

It's part of the engine.:D

Here is a pic showing the housing. It's a pain to get to the lower left bolt. You need eye's in your fingertips.
IMG_2312.JPG
Don't forget to bleed the air out of the housing/system with the little brass valve on top.

that lower left bolt is going to be a pain in the butt . I did actually remember bleed the air outta the system . The engine is still kinda hot , i am going to give it a while , drink a few beers , then go attack it again . On the top left bolt there is not enough room to get the socket around the bolt , is that some kinda star pattern on the inside i have to use ?

solsir4 said:
is that some kinda star pattern on the inside i have to use ?

As I recall all the bolts have a torx head. Don't know what size.

the more i look at this thing the harder it looks . Is there actually only four bolts to get this thing apart , or it kinda looks like there are pulleys that have to be removed ?

No, three bolts, one nut. I took the hose off the thermo housing to give better access to the bolts. You might as well turn off the lights while working on the lower left bolt. It's all done by feel. Here is a link to a thread on the swap.
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2812

Last edited:
thanks silversrt10 , i would have it off by now but i dont have a torx head for the top left one , my friend is coming by later with one . Appreciate your help , cant wait to feel how much more power this is going to give me ...

It's typically centrally located on a wall in your house. Be careful how high you set it though, with the high price of oil these days.

solsir4 said:
cant wait to feel how much more power this is going to give me ...
No problem. What are you installing this on? RC or QC? The stat itself doesn't give you anymore power. What it does is lower the engine temp to help prevent pinging/detonation when advancing the timing. The stage2 on a RC is nominal. You may feel/hear some seat of the pants difference but nothing that will blow your socks off. The QC is a different story. It unleashes the beast by doing away with the torque management on the automatic. Some say it feels like 80HP. Just don't tow with it or you could do damage to the tranny. Have fun. SilvrSRT10 signing off.

05 silver qc i am putting it on ... When i said i cant wait to feel the diffrence i meant on with computer installed in coordination with the thermostat . I didnt expect to feel a diffrence from the thermostat alone . Thanks again

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back