Why bother with a 172* thermostat???

The Itch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dontknow: OK I understand the benefits of running a bit cooler BUT… I’m not sure I see the benefit of running a 172* thermostat I Florida. I’m working to get a colder intake charge to the throttle. I have installed the CAI and catch can.SUC50212.JPG I have ordered a 172* thermostat from JMB but don’t understand why I need it. Could someone educate me as to the benefits? I live in Floriduh so type slow fer me… I don’t want to bother with the install if it doesn’t make a difference.:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

basicaly the truck will start cooling sooner .. so for about 5 minutes you will get the benifit of a cooler truck .. as it passes that point it will make no difference .. well thats how i see it.. unless you have some way of keeping the tuck at that temp

The Itch said:
:dontknow: OK I understand the benefits of running a bit cooler BUT… I’m not sure I see the benefit of running a 172* thermostat I Florida. I’m working to get a colder intake charge to the throttle. I have installed the CAI and catch can.View attachment 19759 I have ordered a 172* thermostat from JMB but don’t understand why I need it. Could someone educate me as to the benefits? I live in Floriduh so type slow fer me… I don’t want to bother with the install if it doesn’t make a difference.:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
looks good i have done a lot of mods and never changed the t stat.....and have not had any problems:dontknow:

It works best when combined with a method for getting the fan to kick in sooner. It's all in avoidance of silent knock and heat soak. I haven't done either, because I don't (really) race.:p

If you're boosted in any fashion, I would consider it a necessity to make it worth your investment and hopefully delay your engine's demise.

You need a flash to turn the fans on at a lower temp to get full benefit....and it does help to run cooler....I have seen the 6.1 hemi gain 20hp on the dyno comparing a 210 degree engine to a 185...

Why bother? Well about 30`degrees first............its called heat soak. When your engine runs at normal temps 200 to 210 its freaken hot and your intake charge is hot, which causes you to lose HP. Myself and others noticed this after the install of an intake. With the t stat and flash your now running in the 160 to 180 range and my truck never has that heat soak feeling. Temps on Maui........in the 80's to 90's everyday so I know something about hot air. Like the others said you will want the flash with the t stat or your fan wont come on. My fan comes on at 185 and cools the truck down very fast. Stock wise your fan comes on at about 215`.

Is the flash worth it? I say absolutly YES. To get full benefit from it though, you will want catless mids as well. The flash was my last mod and really woke up the truck IMO. So will the t stat work without the flash? Probably not since the fan wont come on, so like you said, why bother with the install.

Hope that helps.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Why bother? Well about 30`degrees first............its called heat soak. When your engine runs at normal temps 200 to 210 its freaken hot and your intake charge is hot, which causes you to lose HP. Myself and others noticed this after the install of an intake. With the t stat and flash your now running in the 160 to 180 range and my truck never has that heat soak feeling. Temps on Maui........in the 80's to 90's everyday so I know something about hot air. Like the others said you will want the flash with the t stat or your fan wont come on. My fan comes on at 185 and cools the truck down very fast. Stock wise your fan comes on at about 215`.

Is the flash worth it? I say absolutly YES. To get full benefit from it though, you will want catless mids as well. The flash was my last mod and really woke up the truck IMO. So will the t stat work without the flash? Probably not since the fan wont come on, so like you said, why bother with the install.

Hope that helps.

patrick

The funny thing is that there is a benefit, but sometimes it still runs hot. Dan mentioned that is helps to reduce knock if there is any:dontknow:

Swapping to a cooler t-stat basically allows the t-stat to open at a cooler temp. So, in essence it will open at 172*, instead of the stock t-stat setting (I don't know what stock is for this truck yet as I jsut got it and I'm still learning)

There are some issues with this though, sometimes the car/truck will think that the engine hasn't warmed up yet and will likely set a code off or change timing etc to compensate. It will actually be a detriment to performance. I have seen this happen with a very low t-stat (160*) in a car that hada stock 210* t-stat.

Get the flash and it will be all good.

--wes

.......nice pic.......but you better get in on one of the Group Buy's for the Throttle Body....maybe one of the members who is buying one just cause they can, will send it to you :)

WAZZSUP said:
.......nice pic.......but you better get in on one of the Group Buy's for the Throttle Body....maybe one of the members who is buying one just cause they can,:questionmark: will send it to you :)

To quote my lovely wife... "WTF??? Now a Throttle Body!?! You work for the friggn Post Office! (tears):bawling: How can a $50,000.00 truck need so much crap???":D

I The Itch (A.K.A. NOO-BIE) Do hereby declair my acceptance of any and ALL donations to the upgrade of this truck.:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

When the Cat delete MId pipes just went on my Chrismas list I got the STINK EYE from Santa-wife.
~Big Red was supposed to be a boat~! :captain: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The Itch said:
To quote my lovely wife... "WTF??? Now a Throttle Body!?! You work for the friggn Post Office! (tears):bawling: How can a $50,000.00 truck need so much crap???":D

I The Itch (A.K.A. NOO-BIE) Do hereby declair my acceptance of any and ALL donations to the upgrade of this truck.:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

When the Cat delete MId pipes just went on my Chrismas list I got the STINK EYE from Santa-wife.
~Big Red was supposed to be a boat~! :captain: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

HA.HA,HA....L.O.L.,Thats so funny,
You just quoted my wife exactly!!!!!!:confused: :D

Trade those wives in...they obviously don't have a clue. Be men. Do your thing. Create your plan, execute it!

I bought the 172 because I wanted to!

Just didn't tell the wife...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Like they said without the flash you dont get the full benefit. My QC with flash now runs 170 all the time . With the lower temps you can run more timing (aha!). Thats also what the flash does. And it makes a BIG difference

Last edited:
The Itch said:
:dontknow: OK I understand the benefits of running a bit cooler BUT… I’m not sure I see the benefit of running a 172* thermostat I Florida. I’m working to get a colder intake charge to the throttle. I have installed the CAI and catch can.View attachment 19759 I have ordered a 172* thermostat from JMB but don’t understand why I need it. Could someone educate me as to the benefits? I live in Floriduh so type slow fer me… I don’t want to bother with the install if it doesn’t make a difference.:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Because some place,some night when you least expect it,you will be rolling down the highway with the temp on 172 instead of 200 and someone will pick a fight. The 30 degree temp will be like night and day as far as performance. And maybe just maybe you will get a Stagell Pcm that will actually do as promised and keep the temp at 172 via cutting the fan on sooner. Unlike mine which lets it get to 205 before it cuts on:dontknow: :dontknow:

I think I read somewhere that the fans turn off above 45mph.That means that air is being pushed in from outside vs. being pulled through from inside.Anyone else ever hear of this ? Mine runs pretty cool on the highway in 6th.Around town is where I have heat issues.

cooler engine temps are good for the track, but bad for daily drivers. here's why. you need your oil temp to reach at least 200-210 degrees to boil off the moisture that builds up in the crankcase. if you're always running 180 degree oil temps, you'll have to change the oil a lot more often. also, your gas mileage will suffer with lower temps.

AWDisuzu said:
cooler engine temps are good for the track, but bad for daily drivers. here's why. you need your oil temp to reach at least 200-210 degrees to boil off the moisture that builds up in the crankcase. if you're always running 180 degree oil temps, you'll have to change the oil a lot more often. also, your gas mileage will suffer with lower temps.

18.2 mpg highway when it runs 172.

Getting the most out of your engine is our goal...

The problem with heat soak is that one or two degrees is all it takes for the pcm to read "hot" and start pulling 3, 4 or 6 degrees of timing from your engine...it is not the heat that kills performance it is the pcm reading heat, and often a degree or two will keep your pcm from pulling timing...

In my book, if I can avoid the pcm pulling timing, in competition for speed/acceleration, that is what I want...in normal driving who cares...in a contest, that one or two degrees can make the difference.

Here is what Sean Roe says:

"We found out that the timing strategy of the stock PCM it pulls a boat load of timing out as the engine intake air temp goes up. It's pulls out over twice what they do on the cars. The quick way to correct it is to put an simple 5 to 7K ohm resistor in the wire going from the IAT sensor signal wire going to the PCM (the wire that is not blue). That makes the PCM think it's about 20 degrees cooler out and keeps the timing up better. Beyond that, the throttle body makes a giant difference with the positive displacement blower. Let me know if you need anything else at [email protected]

Regards,

Sean"

So put the 172 in and go to Radio Shack too!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back