WIDEBAND A/F sensor

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
either way your gonna get all kinds of advice, but I allways get a call after selling one asking why it is staying at 14-15 during cruise, light throttle , hwy driving.
Reason being , pcm is optimizing the fuel ratio

but if you knwo nothing about tuning, you can at least make a run or two and yes have your tuning guy make adjustments since about 99% of folks that drive daily cannot do there own tuning.

so basically you have your own option if you go to modding your truck,
spend $275-$300 nd a couple hours of your time and install an air/fuel guage of good quality, or not and take a 50/50 $20,000 chance with your aluminum engine

thats a no shitter;)

I appreciate all info given

Best advice then is its not needed until engine mods start to get heavy?

sparksftball69 said:
Best advice then is its not needed until engine mods start to get heavy?

or curiosity gets the best of ya:D :rock:

to me it you go beyond catless mids, cai, and a cat back , further than that and I would.

but too even iwth those light mods I have seen trucks run a little lean that didnt get a dyno tune;)

disclaimer

I dont want to scare anyone into thinking if they dont have an air fuel guage there crap will go boom,

but to me, either way its good insurance to where any individual can look at it , run a run or two and know right then and there if its either rich or lean,

even a monkey like ironhead can read one of these, green lights good red lights bad:D

SANTEEN said:
You're wrong on this one sir. Tony is correct in post #13. At idle or light throttle, the computer is trying it's damnest to keep A/F at the range indicated by Tony. So, an A/F gauge is pretty much worhless there. Were it's priceless is at WOT. :)

You missed the point entirely....:dontknow:

goin lean is scary i was makin a pull the other day and seen 17.3 shut it down quick....fuel pump no biggie trucks fine if i would have stayed in it it would have went bye bye

a must if you going to mod your truck

srt010.jpg

I didn't see anyone mention the closed loop vs open loop discussion. I'm headed out, but I'll drop a couple general sentences and you can do your own research...

In closed loop mode (idle and light to moderate loading), the PCM reads the o2 sensors, decides if the exhaust is rich or lean, then adjusts the injectors accordingly. It constantly goes rich-lean-rich-lean around 14.7 (or lamda=1).

After the load or RPMs get high enough, the time it takes for all of this to react isn't good enough, so the PCM goes into open loop mode where it does a lookup to control advance and fuel based on load, throttle position, etc. It is providing input to the engine without considering it's output (o2 sensors). This is where an o2 sensor is valuable.

I only use a wideband while tuning. it's pretty useless when driving. you should be concentrating on driving, not a bunch gauges.

sparksftball69 said:
What is the importance of a Wideband A/F sensor?

Is it worth it?

Should i be looking into getting a kit?
LOLOL your first thread bo, and its four pages long~~~~~~~~~!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
LOLOL your first thread bo, and its four pages long~~~~~~~~~!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thank you Thank you. I try. but i bet all my others will be me talking to myself.

whats the difference from narrow and wide band. i see narrow band for sale and its a lot cheaper. whats the difference? Pros/Cons?

making it short and sweet with out all the techy jargon

its as said, narrow band picks a narrow range to give you a reading, so basically all they are good for is pretty lights

a wide band does jsut that, takes the entire range and gives a dead nutts reading at wot,

Narrow-band sensor
As mentioned before, the main problem with any narrow-band O2 sensor is that the ECM only detects that the mixture is slightly richer or leaner than 14.7:1. The ECM does not measure the operating air-fuel ratio outside the stoichiometric range. In effect it only detects that the mixture is richer or leaner then stoichiometry. An O2 sensor voltage that goes lower than 450 mV will cause a widening of injector pulse and vice-versa. The resulting changing or cycling fuel control (closed-loop) O2 signal is what the technician sees on the scope when probing at the O2 sensor signal wire.

Wide-band sensor
The newer “wide-bandâ€￾ O2 sensor solves the narrow sensing problem of the previous Zirconium sensors. These sensors are often called by different names such as, continuous lambda sensors (lambda representing air-fuel ratio), AFR (air-fuel ratio sensors), LAF (lean air-fuel sensor) and wide-band O2 sensor. Regardless of the name, the principle is the same, which is to put the ECM in a better position to control the air/fuel mixture. In effect, the wide-band O2 sensor can detect the exhaust’s O2 content way below or above the perfect 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. Such control is needed on new lean burning engines with extremely low emission output levels. The tighter emission regulations are actually driving this newer fuel control technology and in the process making the systems much more complex and difficult to diagnose.

copied and pasted, its too boring to write out:D

and dam! dont thank me dude:aetsch: :aetsch:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back