Wire transfer/out of state buyers

ALL3-500HP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to get some thoughts on safe ways to sell a car or truck these days. Any personal experience on selling to out of state buyers and wire transfers?

Bank to Bank wire transfer is ok. But you'd be advised to give the transfer several days before showing up with your truck and title.

Cash is king.

It was a bank of America to my usaa , I did not use my personal account. The transfer was sent to usaa loan dept account. I figure if usaa releases the title to me I should be in good shape. Anyways I would never let the truck leave my sight with out my bank telling me I was in the clear.

Are they coming to get it? Have you actually talked with the person? Another thing you could do is open an account with BoA. Anyone can open an account with them. Once you have an account with them, they can do same bank transfer. They won't transfer money to your account if there is not money in his account.

Just a few thoughts.

I have spoke with him, a few phone calls, emails and texts. I called my bank to get there advice first. I told him he will have to wait to pick it up until my bank tells me everything went through and is ok. plus it will take about five days for my bank to process the title work, which will come to me first to sign. I thought it was strange he was willing to buy the truck unseen. good for him the truck is everything I said it was and is a great buy. He is located in LA California and I am located in Oregon. Just always nervous about these things and rightfully so.

bank wire transfer takes about 20 minutes and it's instant and almost never "undoable"...
cashier's check is ok ONLY if you are at his bank and watch him draw the money. mailing a cashier's check can be fraudulent and a growing way to scam people. treat it like a check - 10 days to clear and make sure your bank verifies it.
i've sold several cars out of the state and even the country...

I have spoke with him, a few phone calls, emails and texts. I called my bank to get there advice first. I told him he will have to wait to pick it up until my bank tells me everything went through and is ok. plus it will take about five days for my bank to process the title work, which will come to me first to sign. I thought it was strange he was willing to buy the truck unseen. good for him the truck is everything I said it was and is a great buy. He is located in LA California and I am located in Oregon. Just always nervous about these things and rightfully so.

I always have to have the warm and fuzzy of speaking with the person. You will be able to hear it in their voice if they are truly interested in your vehicle or if they are just trying to scam you.

Don't let the buying without seeing thing bother you. A lot of people do that. I always try, but I had to have 2 vehicles shipped to me sight unseen due to things going on in my life that I was unable to go and get the cars.

It is always good to be cautious though!

He emailed me a picture of the wire transfer paper work . Unfortunately It was so late in the day the banking division of usaa was closed. So I wont be able to verify till Monday. needless to say the truck stays here till that happens. I did have about three other buyers on the fence and was worried if this fell through I might loose those buyers as well. He even offered to pay pal me a 1000 dollar deposit to hold the truck till all things were finalized.

I always have to have the warm and fuzzy of speaking with the person. You will be able to hear it in their voice if they are truly interested in your vehicle or if they are just trying to scam you.

Don't let the buying without seeing thing bother you. A lot of people do that. I always try, but I had to have 2 vehicles shipped to me sight unseen due to things going on in my life that I was unable to go and get the cars.

It is always good to be cautious though!

I normally would not sell to a some one sight unseen. the fact of the matter is its hard to find these trucks local and like you said sometimes flying out to see it is not a possibility .

I don't think bank to bank is ever an issue. I bought mine out of state. My bank sent his bank a check, I flew out a week later and drove her back!

He emailed me a picture of the wire transfer paper work . Unfortunately It was so late in the day the banking division of usaa was closed. So I wont be able to verify till Monday. needless to say the truck stays here till that happens. I did have about three other buyers on the fence and was worried if this fell through I might loose those buyers as well. He even offered to pay pal me a 1000 dollar deposit to hold the truck till all things were finalized.

I think you are going about this cautiously and correctly. Did the buyer offer the $1000 after the bank transfer or before. If after I would be cautious. If before I think you have an honest buyer that doesn't want the deal to pass on to someone else. Regardless don't let the truck go until you get verification from YOUR bank that the money is there. Also respect the buyer because they are paying for a truck without a title and are trusting you/your bank to turn it over to them. I fought for over a year to get the title for my truck and even had to involve the state police.

Hi,

I am from europe and bought a lot of things from members on here, including an engine, a truck and parts like exhausts + small parts.

Just make sure that the money transfer is safe on your account, i wouldnt trust cheques and western union money transfers and i would even ask the buyer to send a copy of his ID via mail + have some phone calls if you dont know that person at all.

Unfortunately nowadays its hard to trust people, thats why an honest buyer should never have problems to answer all questions to you.

It would be even better to sell to members on here only because you can ask other members if any other deal fell thru...

Just my 2 cents...

As long as your bank CONFIRMED without a shadow of a doubt that the funds are there- then proceed.

I ended up Paypal'ing my deposit, and I bought mine while I was in Germany, and the truck was in Atlanta.

I bought two Vipers while I was in Afghanistan. One I used a loan check sent to me, signed and then to the seller. The other one was a wire transfer to a club member who was also a licensed dealer. Both sight unseen but I was able to look up both sellers profiles on the forums, went through all their posts to see if they had any problems with their cars.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back