With Thanksgiving so close "The Turkey cooking Thread"

THEWELSHM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for a haircut yesterday and the subject of how one cooks a Turkey at this time of the year came up?

Personally ( and I know it may not be safe) cook ours all night slowly at 220 and then brown at 400.

My Barber likes his either deep fried or smoked, I didnt know you could do either, but with retrospect why not:dontknow:

Post up any cooking suggestions and styles regarding Turkey.

Regards

thewelshm

Cook mine in a metal garbage can or deep fry it....

Fried is the way to go. :rock: :rock:

Inject Butter Garlic Merinade in the Breasts and Thighs and give it a Tony Creachers rubdown and throw it in the frier

l'm definitely voting for the injected and deep fried. Had some a few weeks ago as a test run for Turkey Day while camping, and good God, it was absolutely delicious. l will warn that it must be done with a fully thawed and as dry as possible bird, as any water will cause splatter. We had the fryer set at 350, and a 15lb took about 40 minutes... a must try if available... we used peanut oil, by the way...

Soak in Brine for a day then throw it on the pit (oven works too) Brining is the only way with turkey. I got the details from a Chef a number of years ago. No one in all the years I've been doing has yet to say it was not the best turkey they've ever had. I can post details if anyone is interested.

fastbill said:
l'm definitely voting for the injected and deep fried. Had some a few weeks ago as a test run for Turkey Day while camping, and good God, it was absolutely delicious. l will warn that it must be done with a fully thawed and as dry as possible bird, as any water will cause splatter. We had the fryer set at 350, and a 15lb took about 40 minutes... a must try if available... we used peanut oil, by the way...
peanut oil is the best, I saw on a tv program "Justin Wilson" the cajun chef deep fry a turkey like 15 years ago, "whhooooie dat sure am fine, wid a lil soda pop wid foam on top (beer), he dry rubbed with spicy cajun seasonins, I myself would put a buncha tabasco dropletz on it after cookin, never had the deep fried bird, my mouth waterz every time you guyz talk about this cookin method.......:eating: :eating: :eating:

i go to the honey-baked ham store and get the sliced breast and a spiral cut ham.

eddie102870 said:
i go to the honey-baked ham store and get the sliced breast and a spiral cut ham.

And probably get your nails done every week too huh? :rock: :p

No turkey for me this year.

I will be roasting a beef tenderloin. Then prepare a couple lobster tails to go with it.

It's been a few years since I have done it, but I have to agree that deep frying a turkey is the best. Believe it or not, but one of the best things I used to inject the turkey with was Italian salad dressing. Strain it through a couple layers of cheese cloth to remove the big chunks that will clog the needle and you are ready to go.

andrew heywood said:
peanut oil is the best, I saw on a tv program "Justin Wilson" the cajun chef deep fry a turkey like 15 years ago, "whhooooie dat sure am fine, wid a lil soda pop wid foam on top (beer), he dry rubbed with spicy cajun seasonins, I myself would put a buncha tabasco dropletz on it after cookin, never had the deep fried bird, my mouth waterz every time you guyz talk about this cookin method.......:eating: :eating: :eating:

Tell yu whadd I'm gonna did...

:D A great Patriot, fantastic chef, and world-class Coonass. :rock: "I GAR UN TEE!!!" :eek: Rest in Peace, Justin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

7093897_110411896122.jpg

Last edited:
DEFROST YOUR TURKEY COMPLETELY IF YOU DO FRY IT!!!!!!!!!! otherwise.... well heat some oil and throw a couple DROPS of water in it and you'll see what happens... imagine a 15# turkey =P

on another note, slow cooking is always better, it doesnt dry the meat out and makes the meat more tender. you can also infuse the the meat with a garlic/butter mixture (via syringe or w/e its called for cooking but you get the idea) before you stick it in the oven. the garlic butter will give it a nice flavor as well as keeping the meat tender and juicy.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back