Would like to make a Carbon Fiber Ram Air

phunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've seen the volant and it looks like a pretty good ram air. My question is, where can I find a pretty cheap set in order to make a carbon fiber mold. Thought this would look great considering you can get carbon fiber in just about any color. And is there anything you would add/change with the current ram air setup's out there?

-charlie

Not many people like the volant cause it looks tacky sticking up when you pop the hood...

If you could make one out of CF that attaches to the hood and lifts with the hood when you lift it that would work with open filter CAI's, that would be sweet and probly sell much better...

You should design a carbon fiber intake and that comes straight up to in front of the ram air, that would be efficient and unique...(imo)

So it looks like a big fake blower when the hood is up? Do you have some detailed pictures of the current set-up. I have only seen one other SRT-10 in the past 1.5 years. And that was driving down the road. If you had some detailed pictures that would be great. Do the other kits have a nice fit everywhere else? IE a good seal on the hood?

I'd really like to find one thats been damaged or considered junk to make my base mold for. I just got a few yards of the carbon fiber in today, its 2X2 Twill, and its heavy. So it will handle a ton of pressure.

design the filter to be at the opening in the hood, then like Psycho Mythic said run it straight down to the TB but have it be attached to the hood i think that will be the most efficient with the areo on the truck and true ram air not to a filter box then to the TB

Sorry but the hood does not ram any air at all it actually sucks air out of the engine bay to reduce heat build up. This has been tested and proven by members of this forum.

You can test it yourself, just tape some yarn to the hood in the scoop area and take a drive , you will see the yarn stands up indicating a low pressure area.

Last edited:
Psycho Mythic said:
You should design a carbon fiber intake and that comes straight up to in front of the ram air, that would be efficient and unique...(imo)

Mopar makes one, just like that

Works with the K & N ....

DSC_0011_jpg.jpg

DSC_0015_jpg.jpg

includemeout said:
Sorry but the hood does not ram any air at all it actually sucks air out of the engine bay to reduce heat build up. This has been tested and proven by members of this forum.
Than why do i have giant bugs and bug guts splattered all over my firewall and wiper/engine cowl:D

OSO said:
Than why do i have giant bugs and bug guts splattered all over my firewall and wiper/engine cowl:D

Because all the testers and verifiers have garage queens :D

ViperJeff said:
Because all the testers and verifiers have garage queens :D
Wifey gonna get ya Jeffy ;) ;) :D

The test was done and put on video, just have to search for the post.

Help Jeffy , I suck at searching.:eek:

OSO said:
They got thru the radiator alive or in pieces:p :p :p :D

includemeout said:

You can test it yourself, just tape some yarn to the hood in the scoop area and take a drive , you will see the yarn stands up indicating a low pressure area.

Are you talking about every ram air set-up out there? In that case is there any such thing as ram air?

Thanks for the pictures, I like the way that mounts. It would look far better in red carbon fiber IMHO. :)

[B said:
phunny]Are you talking about every ram air set-up out there? In that case is there any such thing as ram air?[/B]Thanks for the pictures, I like the way that mounts. It would look far better in red carbon fiber IMHO. :)
It is possible, but I do not know of a true Ram Air setup available, that is why they are called Cold Air Intake Systems, besides Ram Air setups do not work well untill ya hit about 120 mph +. How often do you drive that fast? ;)

phunny said:
Are you talking about every ram air set-up out there? In that case is there any such thing as ram air?

Thanks for the pictures, I like the way that mounts. It would look far better in red carbon fiber IMHO. :)

Not every ram air set up...

It does "ram" some air, but it was designed to let the heat out. I heard somewhere that at 70mph, air is moving through the scoop at 30 something mph:dontknow: Don't remember exactly.

LoveThisTruck said:
Not every ram air set up...

It does "ram" some air, but it was designed to let the heat out. I heard somewhere that at 70mph, air is moving through the scoop at 30 something mph:dontknow: Don't remember exactly.
Comments from our resident engineer:
Silverback said:
It's the difference between a low pressure area and a high pressure area. The front part of a hood is a low pressure area. The cowl area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area.

Ever notice the NASCAR boys all draw their intake air from the cowl. Now look at the NHRA Pro Stock cars. Where is their hood scoop? It's up in the air stream. If they could reduce drag by getting the same ram air effect from low on the hood they would.

Okay, more proof. Almost all, if not all hoods slope down at the front. If this was a high pressure area hoods would not fly open when a hood latch fails.

Sorry, I did not answer your question did I. No, the test was not done with a sealed ram air system as that was not what was being tested.

Once again, what was found was that the faster you go the more air goes over the hood scoop, not into it. This was verified by the air speed actualy dropping the faster they went, and you could also see it by the ribbons lifting off of the surface of the hood in front of the hood scoop.

I see what you're saying. So you just mean you're not pressurizing the intake air correct? I would think that you'd have to be changing the pressure some, I'm guessing not enough to do anything. The main advantage is getting the ambient air directly into the intake. I'd like to see how blocking off the air duct that cools the engine affects the temp of the intake air via the intake itself. Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back