WT.....10 QTS & Special Filter???

TNVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed today...was going to have it changed Monday until my dealer discovered that the 2006 SRT10 used a different filter than the STD Dodge....took 2 days to get it and then the truck ran late WED....anyway, I thought (and my dealer thought) these trucks used about 8.5 QTS....took 10 QTS to put my level on the full mark....the service mgr looked on the tech support and it said 8.75...

He poured in about 9.25 QTS and the level was just touching the thatched area on the dip stick..He then took the part # off the stick and confirmed that it was the correct dip stick....he poured the rest of the oil in and the level reached about 1/16 in under the full mark.....I just checked it after the truck had set for 4hrs...right on the full mark..

Anyone else here used 10QTS and a special filter?:dontknow:

BTW...we compared the filter with the one used on the 04/05 models...the 06 filter had "VIPER" on it...only other diff was less holes in the top...

Yup....it happens to all of us. I believe someone said a while back that they modified the oil filters and my truck has been taking almost 10 quarts since I bought her.:)

KRAZYSRT10 said:
Yup....it happens to all of us. I believe someone said a while back that they modified the oil filters and my truck has been taking almost 10 quarts since I bought her.:)

You driving a 2006?....I had a 2005 QC about 10 months ago and it took just under 9 qtrs...

TNVIPER said:
Got the oil changed today...was going to have it changed Monday until my dealer discovered that the 2006 SRT10 used a different filter than the STD Dodge....took 2 days to get it and then the truck ran late WED....anyway, I thought (and my dealer thought) these trucks used about 8.5 QTS....took 10 QTS to put my level on the full mark....the service mgr looked on the tech support and it said 8.75...

He poured in about 9.25 QTS and the level was just touching the thatched area on the dip stick..He then took the part # off the stick and confirmed that it was the correct dip stick....he poured the rest of the oil in and the level reached about 1/16 in under the full mark.....I just checked it after the truck had set for 4hrs...right on the full mark..

Anyone else here used 10QTS and a special filter?:dontknow:

BTW...we compared the filter with the one used on the 04/05 models...the 06 filter had "VIPER" on it...only other diff was less holes in the top...

Weird, my 06 takes the same filter every other new Mopar uses, and take almost 10 quarts to fill it up. . .

AND. . .

Unless the dealer did an oil change upon delivery, I've personally changed the oil since new, and the "standard" filter came off of the truck . . . :dontknow:

Roz-SRT said:
Weird, my 06 takes the same filter every other new Mopar uses, and take almost 10 quarts to fill it up. . .

The diff filter caused a big rukus at the dealership....they used my SN to match filters and the great C wonder program spit out the new number...very slight diff between the filters but definally a diff...and the new one has the word "VIPER" on it...:dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
The diff filter caused a big rukus at the dealership....they used my SN to match filters and the great C wonder program spit out the new number...very slight diff between the filters but definally a diff...and the new one has the word "VIPER" on it...:dontknow:

What about the filter that came off of it? :dontknow: Was it a "Viper" one too?

TNVIPER said:
I think the Viper filter is a high flow filter with a little more capacity.

J.R.

there is a new oil filter for the 06's i use it on my 05. havent cut open the new filter yet to see the difference. i've had some that take almost 9 qts and some that take 10, i dont know why but always check your oil level and add as needed.

TheMoparConnection said:
there is a new oil filter for the 06's i use it on my 05. havent cut open the new filter yet to see the difference. i've had some that take almost 9 qts and some that take 10, i dont know why but always check your oil level and add as needed.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that, I wonder why mine was a standard filter when I did my first oil change? . . .

Got a PN Robert?

TNVIPER said:
This is the PN off my invoice.....5037836AA...

Thanks, I am due for an oil change! :cool: I'll give this one a try.

TheMoparConnection said:
Can/Should you use it on an 04? Im wonder what effect the larger oil compacity will have on the oil pump:dontknow:

devildog02 said:
Can/Should you use it on an 04? Im wonder what effect the larger oil compacity will have on the oil pump:dontknow:

The oil pump could care less what the capacity is. It only cares if it starts to suck air.

Silverback said:
The oil pump could care less what the capacity is. It only cares if it starts to suck air.
:rock: :rock: :rock: Them bananas really paid off :D :D :D

devildog02 said:

The new oil filter is the same size as the old...only diff I could see was the new had 2 less holes in the top and had "VIPER" printed on the side...

Prof said:
Your dealership was very responsible in its approach to a new situation...some would not have gone to the trouble...

Add them to the list of good guys:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10226&highlight=Dealers

They have the best service dept going....they even do most of my mod installs like the heads and cam on my SRT8.....the service mgr has a policy of cross referencing the vehicles SN to determine which part or fluid to use...he does this everytime because of changes/updates like this filter......Alley's Dodge of Kingsport TN...

My local dlr. told me that filter was developed for the 08 viper.He said difference was higher burst strength and different flow rating. The new viper is redesigned, different oil pump and better oiling system along with the other changes.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back