X-METAL GEN IV SHIFTER.

mosrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For over 2 years I have wanted a x-metal shifter. I really couldn't afford one so I bought a b&m shifter. Don't get me wrong I liked the b&m, it worked great and after I had it polished to a mirror shine it looked good too. However a few weeks ago I came across one a member(Wolfram) was selling. I pondered and considered for over a day and then I pulled the trigger. Wolfram did a great job of sending it too me and when the fedex truck showed up on saturday morning I was thrilled. I immediatly started swapping the shifter out. Went in without a hitch. Then it is time to take the 10 out for a little test run. I launched it hard,jammed it into second, and then I was a little nervous would it work or would it be the same as the b&m.
Then I pushed the lever into 3rd and it fit like a glove. I tried over and over again to make it miss 3rd couldn't do it.

I wish I would have known how awesome this shifter was I would have bought it 2 years ago. I know there have been a few members who have no love lose for the creator of this work of art but I must say he is a genius.

thanks again Wolf!!!

mosrt10 said:
For over 2 years I have wanted a x-metal shifter. I really couldn't afford one so I bought a b&m shifter. Don't get me wrong I liked the b&m, it worked great and after I had it polished to a mirror shine it looked good too. However a few weeks ago I came across one a member(Wolfram) was selling. I pondered and considered for over a day and then I pulled the trigger. Wolfram did a great job of sending it too me and when the fedex truck showed up on saturday morning I was thrilled. I immediatly started swapping the shifter out. Went in without a hitch. Then it is time to take the 10 out for a little test run. I launched it hard,jammed it into second, and then I was a little nervous would it work or would it be the same as the b&m.
Then I pushed the lever into 3rd and it fit like a glove. I tried over and over again to make it miss 3rd couldn't do it.

I wish I would have known how awesome this shifter was I would have bought it 2 years ago. I know there have been a few members who have no love lose for the creator of this work of art but I must say he is a genius.

thanks again Wolf!!!

I love my Gen-X - I can't miss 3rd either :rock:

I have a Gen 2.2 shifter.. Let me tell you what this thing has been through..

On a warm Houston evening the aformentioned X-Metal shifter started off as a shiny new Gen II installed within this red RC
VTCoA051.jpg

owned at the time by slow91. Granted, slow91 is a hard driver when he is getting down on it; however, the shifter did great during his ownership..
Stuff091.jpg

.....And all was right with the world.
c315a555.jpg

7f6395f2.jpg

Then, the truck was sold with the shifter to another member (z-man)...
VTCoA083.jpg

....and in time, with careful steps, he too developed into a hard RC driver.
VTCoA125-1.jpg

One bright February day we all had a GTG here in Houston.
Stuff097.jpg

Since the new owner (z-man) also owned a QC at the time,
Stuff087.jpg

slow91 drove the red RC for the day that he used to own. Well, on our way to a huge meet in Galveston, TX
Stuff137.jpg

we started to play on an empty highway. slow91 attempted a hard and swift powershift into third while running against BigRed460, and ((SNAPPPP)) the shifter broke just like that.

After African-American engineering a rudimentary shifter made out of a socket extension tool
Stuff107.jpg

and hope,
Stuff106.jpg

the truck limped back to z-man's driveway.
Stuff088.jpg

Eventually a flaw was discovered in the shifter at a weld point. It was then carefully welded back together with improved weld and technique to become the only X-Metal Gen 2.2 shifter. But before it could be placed back in the original RC, z-man purchased and installed the GenX shifter. He was going to sell it off to someone else but I said
VTCoA026.jpg

"Screw that," I want that 2.2 shifter.

Now the improved/strengthened Gen 2.2 shifter sits in #1900 and it doesn't give me a problem at all..
Clean006.jpg

I'm sure it will out last the truck since I don't drive her hard.

I have an X-metal Gen I shifter, and I wouldn't change it for anything. It has never done me wrong, shift after shift. It did make some noise, but once I figured out how to stop that it has been perfect.

Bill.

Begood said:
I have an X-metal Gen I shifter, and I wouldn't change it for anything. It has never done me wrong, shift after shift. It did make some noise, but once I figured out how to stop that it has been perfect.

Bill.

And I'm afraid to ask YET AGAIN how you did that. Sorry but the whole step by step instruction you provided was way over my head.. with the application of that glass type substance you mentioned. I wouldn't want to attempt that on my own. Knowing me I'll get my fingers stuck to something.. :dontknow: Something not so pleasant.

Venom Power said:
And I'm afraid to ask YET AGAIN how you did that. Sorry but the whole step by step instruction you provided was way over my head.. with the application of that glass type substance you mentioned. I wouldn't want to attempt that on my own. Knowing me I'll get my fingers stuck to something.. :dontknow: Something not so pleasant.
bout like clear silicone. that should dampen the noise or use capet backing.

eddie102870 said:
bout like clear silicone. that should dampen the noise or use capet backing.

I'll go read Bill's instructions again.. I saved it on my hard drive..

That, or you can send me the shifter handle (not the shifter) and $20.00 plus shipping costs, and I will set it up for you so all you have to do is bolt it back on and drive. And silicone will not work.

Bill.

I really love my X-Metal GenX shifter. It's one of the best aftermarket and stock shifters I've ever used IMHO.
I've never missed 3rd or had any jamming problems. It's just a real silky smooth unit around the city and out going hard on the open roads. Awesome piece. ;)

RHDConversion51.jpg

Carlwalski said:
I really love my X-Metal GenX shifter. It's one of the best aftermarket and stock shifters I've ever used IMHO.
I've never missed 3rd or had any jamming problems. It's just a real silky smooth unit around the city and out going hard on the open roads. Awesome piece. ;)

RHDConversion51.jpg

Holy crap is the shifter really that short? You wouldn't be able to shift it with the arm rest down would you?

Cudajon said:
Holy crap is the shifter really that short? You wouldn't be able to shift it with the arm rest down would you?
Yup but it's little deceiving, it's not that much shorter than the stock unit + longer handle = longer shift time. Look at the old stock shifter below to compare heights, I have no problems hitting the console. ;) I also attached another angle of the shifter, again, photos can be deceiving.

PreviousOwnerPhotos7.JPG

SRT10River11.jpg

BTW, I *think* I still have an X-Metal Gen 1 shifter in the attic.

If anyone is looking for one reasonably cheap, PM me.:D

Begood said:
That, or you can send me the shifter handle (not the shifter) and $20.00 plus shipping costs, and I will set it up for you so all you have to do is bolt it back on and drive. And silicone will not work.

Bill.

I can personally attest that silicone WILL NOT work :mad:

Begood said:

Bill.

Mine has never done me wrong either (except when I don't tighten the handle bolts :eek: )

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back