X metal mids installed......thoughts

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got my local muffler dude to do the install.......not a great experience....first he says the truck is too hot to work on but has taken part of the oem pieces off, so I have to leave my truck in his shop overnight!!! :( After a very serious talk about how nobody drives my truck, I left to come back the next day. I arrive at 9 am, and he tells me the sims arent connecting up..........I inspect and realize that he has plugged the wrong connectors into the wrong places.........I switch them all around and get them all hooked up. For some reason we did not need to use Boomers extentions:dontknow: . I start it up, sounds really deep and loud....at first I am like "OH SHIT" its too loud. Leaving the parking lot I just ease out onto the road and realize the the throttle sensitivity is absolutly instantaneous!!! What a difference. Its like you can feel the engine breathe through your foot and the go pedal. The tires spun with very little effort, I was just pulling out very easy. They say you gain about 25 HP to the rear wheels or something....it really feels like it to me.

Loudness is deeper and throatier at idle and in the lower rpms, at 3k and above its f#cking the viper from hell sound!! Wow, what a difference. If you dont want a loud truck, do not delete your cats. There is no hiding anymore with this setup.

Bad news.......I didnt notice it as I left the shop, but I do have a freaking loud ass rattle.....it really seems like a piece of metal is stuck in my muffler and is bouncing around in there:mad: ....I cannot stand it. I really dont want to go back to this guy to figure it out. Anybody know if our magnaflow mufflers guts will allow a small piece of pipe,bolt, nut(?) to pass through the muffler? I really hope I dont have to have to go back and get this guy to cut my pipes again to dig this rattle out!:mad: :( :dontknow: I am gonna check all the sims and bolts to make sure they arent loose, but it really sounds like something in the muffler.

And get this, he wanted to charge me $275 for the install.........I freaked out and told him I only had $200 in my wallet.....he eventually took it and I was glad to leave.......now you understand why I dont want to go back to him.:( I can actually hear the rattle when I close the truck door!!!!

patrick

Thanks for the info, that was a really good description. You don't suppose you pissed the dude off the night you left your truck that he deliberately put something in your muffler, do you? That would really suck. I can't imagine anything breaking loose in the magnaflow during the install, unless he was hammering the piss out of it to break the joints loose. I'd check to make sure nothing is touching the mids, like the heat shield that runs along the underside.

Sounds like he might have gotten a small peice of pipe scrap into your pipes when he cutoff your old mids. :( If that is what happened that sucks Bro. I don't think it'll pass thru the muffler. I hope I am wrong and hope you get it figured out. ;)

Did you check everything and make sure theres nothing rubbing against the frame? I thought the Sims had to be used to get rid of any cel?

Patrick....you need to stop by my house for a cup of Island coffee........:) thank you very much island boy....who da man, you da man

Congrats on the mids!!! The best HP mod / $ mod you can do, I am sure it sounds pretty sweet :rock:

Did he cut off the pipes with a sawsall or torch ? Sounds like some metal pieces are in the pipe. Before you take it back, crawl under the truck and check out for any metal to metal contact areas . He may have ran the mid pipe too close to the frame cross rail.

Good luck!!

Patrick. Double check and make sure that your pipe hanging brackets, especially the ones in the rear, are not contacting anything metal. Mine were after the install and made a very similiar noise.

Mine did the same thing.Found out it was the muffler itself.Replaced under warranty.My shop only charged $30 to weld mine up with some new 3" pieces to the muffler.Dude,you got hosed :( At least it sounds good (except for the rattle) :p :D

that's it... I'm gettin the mids :D I assume as long as you keep it over 3K you won't hear it anyway:p

they are sweet get a set of headers and some cal tracs and youll be good to go.

Black1 said:
No he won't.... Liar! :D :p You know it will never stop! :rock: :burnout:

So so true.............more of everything please!!!! LOL

Thanks for your tips guys.....I am gonna crawl under there this weekend and try to figure it out.

Wazz...........you da man brutha!!! Thank you!:)

patrick

Sorry to hear about the experience bro, I hope things work out, some places have no idea of what the word "customer service" means. It sucks when some as@#ole ruins what should be a great feelings of getting a new mod for your truck. Don't worry Karma will catch up to him someday.

Last edited:
Got a sound clip? I would love to hear it...

Tom said:
Got a sound clip? I would love to hear it...

Gonna record one on Sunday....I will post it then.

I believe I have isolated my rattle. Its definatly in the muffler and sounds like a bolt or part of the rod he used to weld the pipes with. Its definatly round cause you can hear it rolling back n forth in the muffler when you bang on the bottom of it.

Anybody know what the inside of the magnaflow looks like? Any chance this piece will blow out? Please!!! Shit, this sucks!!!:( :mad:

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back