Letter to Pirelli...!!!

lout63

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new Dodge Ram SRT-10 with Pirelli tires on it. At about the 5000 Km mark a slight shimming was starting to develop at 110 to 120 km per hour. The vehicle was brought back to the dealer where it was purchased, for tire balancing. A road test followed but shimming still present. A different dealer was used (with road –force balancer), more balancing was done (4 balancing at 3 different locations and shimming still there). The rims were spun for run-out, no defects were found (all rims OK).

The only other option was to contact a Pirelli rep to discuss the problem. An appointment was made to meet the rep for more balancing and more road tests. After examining the tires for abuse and proper inflation he noted that the tires were under inflated by 1(that’s one (1) pound), right then and then I knew this was not going to end well. I explained to him that the distance traveled to get there was less then 3 km, not giving the tires enough time to warm up. After seeing the tires spin on the balancing machine, it’s very clear that 3 out of the four tires on the balancing machine have a wobble on it (one of them with a hop). No instrument was used to see the severity of the wobble, only his expertise to determine that the wobble and the hop is within specs. His final decision ……no problem with the tires.
The tires were mounted back on the vehicle, and preceded with the road test. He sat in the passenger seat my 8 year old boy in the back (been a quad) and I drove the vehicle. As we proceeded to the closest freeway he noted that the acceleration used to bring the truck to freeway speed was excessive (strike 2). At 110 to 120 Km the shimming starts, he reaches over to feel the steering shimming but notes that the grooves on the road might have something to do with it. We proceeded further down the freeway (where the road is freshly paved) with more shimming to follow. He is refusing to acknowledge the fact that his perfectly balanced tires are reacting in this manner. We drive back to the shop where we originally started this ordeal in which his final word stands ………..no problem with the tires….One question here ….is this guy working for Pirelli ? Or for the competition?

To my opinion this guy has succeeded in his goal …….preventing me from purchasing another Pirelli tire for as long as I live.

Lou T.

you and me both , i bought a used set at the nats for 100.00 and as soon as i can burn them off ill buy a different brand next go round

This problems sounds very familiar... I had with BF Goodrich at one time. They sent out a 75 year guy "who was a expert in tires" to mediate the situation, when he arrived he proceeds to tell me that he knows nothing about tires let along performance vehicles and the characteristics they have, and is there to only listen to "my side" and "the dealers" story.

He then proceeded to deny my claim, so I posted my story on:

http://www.ripoffreport.com

Faxed a copy of it to the corporate office of BF GoodRich, and a copy of it to the dealer... this site gets unique 2-4 million hits per day!! and I kid you not, within 2 hours of me faxing them, I got a call from a Vice President of Quality Assurance, offering to send me a check for $750 to reimburse for my expenses.

Did i mention this guy was from Quebec, Montreal to be exact. His desision must have been made up before he got here(Toronto). Its true what they say you know........"Word War Three will start from two small countries".......oh ya Quebec is NOT a country.......he he he

This is a very common problem it seems with 04 and 05 models. Seems that Pirelli was cutten some teeth on the new 22''s. My rears were out of round and two dealers did a force balance which helped some. When I said they should replace them, I got that "whatcha talking about willis" response. They gave me directions to the local Pirelli distributor who wanted $120 for the balancing, which was nonrefundable. Then I still had to call Pirelli with the findings and a "reach around" so they know I'll be a return customer. The tires are good if they're round. I increased the pressure from 38 to 42 and that helped as well. Stay out of 70-80 mph. Mine have improved after 6K miles. Important thing is they are just tires. You've got a great truck and this problem is easily fixed.

I JUST GOT 4 FREE TIRES FROM PIRELLI. MY TRUCK VIBRATED AT 70 MPH AND ALL FOUR TIRES FAILED THE ROAD FORCE TEST. THESE TIRES HAVE WHAT ARE CALLED HEAVY SPOTS.THIS IS WHAT CASUES THE VIBRATION. THERE IS AN AMOUNT THAT IS ACCEPTABLE BY THE TIRE MAKERS STANDARDS.

lout63 said:
Did i mention this guy was from Quebec, Montreal to be exact. His desision must have been made up before he got here(Toronto). Its true what they say you know........"Word War Three will start from two small countries".......oh ya Quebec is NOT a country.......he he he
Speaking of war...Whats wrong with Quebec people ?

1-FAST-SRT-10 said:
Speaking of war...Whats wrong with Quebec people ?
I only know one Quebec people and that is my friend Serge:D , the friendly Canadian:rock: . Based on that, I have only good things to say about the Quebec people :burnout: ............

OH NO!! - not another war of the worlds :eek:

Last edited:
1-FAST-SRT-10 said:
You dont know what you had stick your nose into ,and on top of it you took position...Your in trouble Denise...
I'm in trouble again?? :dontknow: :D

1-FAST-SRT-10 said:
You dont know what you had stick your nose into ,and on top of it you took position...Your in trouble Denise...
I'm in trouble again?? :dontknow: :D

I'm getting used to it :eek:

Quebec dissing is bad enough....But this guy is also dissing Italian effin tires.... WTF is up with that...?;) :D

SD

I want to see a large version of Viprtek's avatar, a very large version.:rock:

Bill.

don't get your panties in a knot nobody's dissing Quebec people, I'm sure their's a few good ones out there :D :tomato:

I guess I should count my blessings then,I got 26,000 mi out of my Pirellis !!!I did switch over to Nitto's for my next set though !No special reason except for a longer life tire !!

ive got 16,000 miles on my pirellis can probley get another 16,000 out of them.so far no problems.:D

I had 28,000 miles on mine, But i rotated them every 3500 or so. They all were at 3/32 when i replaced them with BFG 2's Had to run alot of weights on 2 of them. The BFG's seem to be a little more true. I like them.

J.R.

lout63 said:
I have recently purchased a new Dodge Ram SRT-10 with Pirelli tires on it. At about the 5000 Km mark a slight shimming was starting to develop at 110 to 120 km per hour. The vehicle was brought back to the dealer where it was purchased, for tire balancing. A road test followed but shimming still present. A different dealer was used (with road –force balancer), more balancing was done (4 balancing at 3 different locations and shimming still there). The rims were spun for run-out, no defects were found (all rims OK).

The only other option was to contact a Pirelli rep to discuss the problem. An appointment was made to meet the rep for more balancing and more road tests. After examining the tires for abuse and proper inflation he noted that the tires were under inflated by 1(that’s one (1) pound), right then and then I knew this was not going to end well. I explained to him that the distance traveled to get there was less then 3 km, not giving the tires enough time to warm up. After seeing the tires spin on the balancing machine, it’s very clear that 3 out of the four tires on the balancing machine have a wobble on it (one of them with a hop). No instrument was used to see the severity of the wobble, only his expertise to determine that the wobble and the hop is within specs. His final decision ……no problem with the tires.
The tires were mounted back on the vehicle, and preceded with the road test. He sat in the passenger seat my 8 year old boy in the back (been a quad) and I drove the vehicle. As we proceeded to the closest freeway he noted that the acceleration used to bring the truck to freeway speed was excessive (strike 2). At 110 to 120 Km the shimming starts, he reaches over to feel the steering shimming but notes that the grooves on the road might have something to do with it. We proceeded further down the freeway (where the road is freshly paved) with more shimming to follow. He is refusing to acknowledge the fact that his perfectly balanced tires are reacting in this manner. We drive back to the shop where we originally started this ordeal in which his final word stands ………..no problem with the tires….One question here ….is this guy working for Pirelli ? Or for the competition?

To my opinion this guy has succeeded in his goal …….preventing me from purchasing another Pirelli tire for as long as I live.

Lou T.

Lou, the only other thing that you did not mention or check (and I'm prolly wrong) but your alum wheel /wheels might not have good runout--wheel might not be round? The weights should compensate for any out of round features...but it might be something to chk anyway before you spend money on a different brand. Hopefully you got some bad tires and with a new brand, if your problem ceases, then mail the Pirelli tires back to Pirelli with a bill for the new ones...send it registered mail.
hope you get it sorted out.

dallas

The rims were spun for run-out, no defects were found (all rims OK).
They were checked Dalas more then ones .....every time it went in for tire balance that would be the first thing to check ........Hey .....if i inflated my tires to 300 lbs would that simulate a blow out......and would the warranty cover it...LOL :evil:

lout63 said:
They were checked Dalas more then ones .....every time it went in for tire balance that would be the first thing to check ........Hey .....if i inflated my tires to 300 lbs would that simulate a blow out......and would the warranty cover it...LOL :evil:
Well then it is either the tire or they don't have the weights on properly?
I think we should shoot this over to that mustache guy on tv...Mr. Z?
wadda ya think?
by the way, is that his real mustache :)

Hey Lou, I emailed Pirelli asking them what the red dot on the tires mean? I emailed several times and never got an answer back. How's that for customer service?
I just got new ones last May 2006. The guys at the tire shop said that the tire manufacturer's say different things. I thought that the dot meant that it was the lightest part of the tire and hence, would be lined up with the valve...well that simple question was never affirmed. Oh well ...
Take your truck back to the dealr and MAKE them figure it out. Make it a warranty issue.

dallas

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back