ABS Motor Running with Truck Off???

500hpvanillagorilla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated, the truck was turned off and the ABS motor kept running...anyone have any ideas? I pulled the larger plug on it to get it to stop. Also, checked fuse and that is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

try disconnecting the battery for a little while (at least 10-15 min) .. these trucks have a crazy electrical system..especially when the battery is low

It worked for me when a light stayed on.....good luck! If not, someone else, I'm sure will give you some more advice

Strange....like I said these trucks have a very weird electrical system...
hopefully someone else can chime in!

do you have a tune in it?, had the same problem with a new tune in, turned out the tune had a glitch, had it remapped and reloaded no problem after, also the unplugging and reseting didnt help, lost the stock pcm setting, hope this helps

Thats what I'm thinking...since I don't have a tune. I threw the code P0500 today, but that's because I unplugged the big plug on the ABS unit to get it to stop running.

Anyone think it could be the rear speed sensor??

Thanks for the help guys!

500hpvanillagorilla said:
As stated, the truck was turned off and the ABS motor kept running...anyone have any ideas? I pulled the larger plug on it to get it to stop. Also, checked fuse and that is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

I just returned back to Japan from being in the US for a couple of weeks. My ABS motor also did the same thing. ABS motor would remain on all the time, no matter whether the engine was running or not. I disconnected the battery, reconnected the battery and had the same problem. Unplugged the ABS motor, but this also kills your speedometer and odometer. Ended up pulling the fuse to the ABS system and driving around without ABS. Were you able to get yours fixed and find out what the problem was John?

Sorry I should have posted up right away after the fix Aaron...my issue and sounds like yours is as well, is the ABS computer. It sits on top of the ABS block where the two sensors plug into it. You can unplug the big one and still drive the truck but you will lose the speedo and reverse lock out!

This part is 320ish new, I was lucky and found a used one on here for less :) picture --> http://www.bba-reman.com/images/Dodge_Durango_KH_ABS_edit_sm.jpg

link to the part --> http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pa...1500&year=2004&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

Hope that helps...PM me if you have any questions!!

John

Last edited:
Thanks John and AZmotorhead for the links and the information. I don't know which way I will end up going with the repair. Unfortunately I'm in Japan and the truck is now sleeping in Illinois. Won't be able to fix it until next summer, but at least now I have options.

Azmotorhead said:
CHeck with www.ModuleMaster.com maybe they can rebuild the module.
I just sent them one off a Chevy.
You shouldn't even need to get into the fluid side of the system

He is correct, no need to touch the fluids...the control unit is held on by 4 torx screws, I think they are 25's but dont hold me to that.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back