Indexing Plugs

rottenronnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I kind of inadvertently mentioned indexing spark plugs in the Performance thread about drop-ins vs. C.A.I. kits, and was asked to start a new thread.

As I am pressed for time at the moment, please refer to that thread for additional info/results.

Basically, indexing refers to pointing the electrode of the plug towards EITHER of the valves instead of pointing it into a "dead area" of the combustion chamber. If that is done (pointing it away from the valves, which you don't want to do), the theory is the flame front started by the spark is partially shielded by the electrode and decreases combustion efficiency inside the chamber.

As the plug threads are all different, I buy 20 plugs. I don't use washers, but you can if you like. Mark the plug socket with a felt pen to show where the electrode is pointing and install the plug so it is pointing at either valve. If the one you just installed (for example) doesn't point in the right direction, try another one. (Make sure they are the correct tightness).

Here is a good shot of the Viper's combustion chamber. Go to:
http://www.performancecylinderheads.com/Viperpage.htm
**My apologies to those in the cylinder head business, I am using this site ONLY because it has an excellent photo of what I am trying to explain.**

It was good for a free 9+ h.p. gain (used plugs even!) on my SRT-10. Better than what was gained with the drop-in.

I would guess maybe more h.p. with brand new plugs.

Gotta Run

Ronnie

lbstone said:
This sounds rather interesting and time consuming.

It doesn't take as long as you might think. And considering how long plugs last these days, it is one of those "short term pain for long term gain" things. Besides, the plugs are quite easy to get at on these engines compared to others.

I have done it for so many years now I don't even think about it...

Ron

ok ronnie here is anouther ? for you How much do you think we would gain by using a thinner head gasket?

I am going to do the plugs as soon as i get home , souds like something i can do.

stick said:
ok ronnie here is anouther ? for you How much do you think we would gain by using a thinner head gasket?

I am going to do the plugs as soon as i get home , souds like something i can do.

I would venture to say not enough to make the job worthwhile.

Ron

Is it recommended that the plugs face the intake valve? Rather then the Exhaust valve?

rottenronnie said:
Basically, indexing refers to pointing the electrode of the plug towards EITHER of the valves instead of pointing it into a "dead area" of the combustion chamber. If that is done (pointing it away from the valves, which you don't want to do), the theory is the flame front started by the spark is partially shielded by the electrode and decreases combustion efficiency inside the chamber.
Point the open side of the plug toward the valves, or the L-end of the electrode toward the valves?

QUESTION:
How would you index a plug like this one?
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/368e3close.jpg
Same method?

Awesome Ronnie!
Though it's a F*rd link, it's a great reference. Thanks!

Any suggestions with regards to the plugs I mentioned?

Kevan said:
Awesome Ronnie!
Though it's a F*rd link, it's a great reference. Thanks!

Any suggestions with regards to the plugs I mentioned?

Not really; but I can't tell from the photo either, but IF there is an open area around that weird electrode cluster, point the open area towards the valves.

Ron

lbstone said:
Is it recommended that the plugs face the intake valve? Rather then the Exhaust valve?

Good question. The F*rd article says that it varies between different engines. If Ronnie got those results just from pointing at either valve, that's good enough. Just pointing it toward the chamber rather than away from it sounds like an improvement. Our engines might have a "sweet spot" that would take some trial and error to figure out, but 9hp pointing at either valve is good enough for me!

Ram From Hell said:
Good question. The F*rd article says that it varies between different engines. If Ronnie got those results just from pointing at either valve, that's good enough. Just pointing it toward the chamber rather than away from it sounds like an improvement. Our engines might have a "sweet spot" that would take some trial and error to figure out, but 9hp pointing at either valve is good enough for me!

Yup, that is how I see it. Unfortunately, when I took out the old plugs I had no idea how many of them were installed "the right way" from the factory and I had no time to check.. If the answer was none, then 9 hp was maybe the maximum benefit. If say 1/2 of them were already correct, then 9 hp from the remaining 5 cylinders is a very substantial gain.

Some chambers (like Hemis) don't seem to benefit from indexing. At least it didn't on the 426 I ran. The newer Hemis might because they aren't really a true Hemi design.

The Viper chamber is rather interesting and, to me anyway, it looks like a chamber that can (an apparently does) benefit from indexing. The engine is quite octane sensitive and really doesn't like heat. So, this to me also suggests it can use some help in the combustion department. Unburned fuel is lost power, it is that simple.

Like I said earlier, I have been doing it for so long I don't even think about the extra time it takes. My cousin even indexes the plugs in the grain trucks on his farm!!

Ron

to add to this, NEVER use multiple electrode sparkplugs. They cannot be indexed and even worse - three of the four electrodes would always be in the way and partially block the flow of mixture from the squish area.

AWDisuzu said:
to add to this, NEVER use multiple electrode sparkplugs. They cannot be indexed and even worse - three of the four electrodes would always be in the way and partially block the flow of mixture from the squish area.
Are you referring to the example I put up?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back